Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Fallout 3 interview at GameShark

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Fallout 3; Gavin Carter

<a href=http://www.gameshark.com>GameShark</a> has posted a Fallout 3 <a href=http://www.gameshark.com/features/377/Fallout-3-Interview.htm>interview</a> with Gavin Carter:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>What aspects of Fallout 3 are you concerned longtime Fallout fans may not embrace as much as you might hope?</b>
<br>
<br>
Can I just forward you a list of every feature in the game? I’m sure that for just about every feature you could name that we might consider changing for Fallout 3, you could find someone for whom that feature sums up everything that’s quintessentially Fallout. To give a direct answer, I think VATS is probably the feature that we knew would cause the most stir when we were working on the idea. <u>Doing something that’s relatively new is always a risk</u>. When most people think of turn-based and real-time as opposite ends of the same spectrum (something I disagree with), we knew it would take a while for the message of why we think VATS is a great idea to take root with people.</blockquote>Gavin's jokes are the best.
<br>
<br>

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Vault Dweller said:
When most people think of turn-based and real-time as opposite ends of the same spectrum (something I disagree with).
So are they opposite ends of two different spectrums or are they the same end of one spectrum or what? What the hell is he actually trying to say here?

Joe Krow

Erudite
DarkUnderlord said:
Vault Dweller said:
When most people think of turn-based and real-time as opposite ends of the same spectrum (something I disagree with).
So are they opposite ends of two different spectrums or are they the same end of one spectrum or what? What the hell is he actually trying to say here?
I could be wrong but isn't that the spectrum that has horse shit on both ends? It's one of those nex-gen spectrums.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
That comment made me roll my eyes too.

Seriously, it's just RTwP. With some nerfs. Big whoop.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Brother None said:
That comment made me roll my eyes too.

Seriously, it's just RTwP. With some nerfs. Big whoop.

Mark my words, all the reviews shall praise Bethesda for 'creating an innovative combat system' and 'inventing an original, post-apocalyptic world that is a satire of 1950s-era fears of nuclear holocaust'...

Human Shield

Augur
DarkUnderlord said:
Vault Dweller said:

It is a fancy way of saying that turn-based is a poor man's real-time and the only reason to ever use it is limited technology. That they aren't ends, TB is a just a stepping stone up to the almighty real-time that is just now possible with next-gen immursion.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
VonVentrue said:
Mark my words, all the reviews shall praise Bethesda for 'creating an innovative combat system' and 'inventing an original, post-apocalyptic world that is a satire of 1950s-era fears of nuclear holocaust'...

Probably. Major Nelson's podcast actually talked to Pete Hines about "the vaults" as if Bethesda invented them. Disgusting journalism.

gc051360

Scholar
Doing something that’s relatively new is always a risk
Yeah....because Bethesda takes risks.

Do you think Bethesda dumbs everything down on purpose, or do they do it because they are actually dumb?

It's a question of mine. Do these guys believe what they say, or are they just marketing it to morons?

denizsi

Arcane
It's possible that the only reason they're doing VATS is because other AAA titles have already implemented similar systems (Crysis, erm...Crysis :) I do remember there is at least one more game) that pauses the gameplay which seemed to be received well, before Beth ever mentioned they'd have that kind of thing too.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Doesn't Mass Effect also have a combat system nearly identical to VATS?

denizsi

Arcane
Ah yes, that's the other game I couldn't remember, and it also happens to be a RPG as well.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Yeah liek MUS EET BRAINES lol!

I forgot you knew sheek's grandfather.

"with great power comes great responsibility"

Morbus

Scholar
DarkUnderlord said:
Vault Dweller said:
He's saying he doesn't care about integrity and he's trying to fool the mass into thinking Turn Based and Real time are not very different in their essence. That's also the reason why people think KotOR and Baldur's Gate are turn based games... Asses.

Mr_Handy

Novice
Vault Dweller said:
When most people think of turn-based and real-time as opposite ends of the same spectrum (something I disagree with), ...

RT------RTwP------PB------TB

Well he must be talking of another spectrum...

Rei

Novice
gc051360 said:
Doing something that’s relatively new is always a risk
Yeah....because Bethesda takes risks.

Do you think Bethesda dumbs everything down on purpose, or do they do it because they are actually dumb?

It's a question of mine. Do these guys believe what they say, or are they just marketing it to morons?
PR.

Fuck them. Fuck them all. I discovered Fallout when I was 17 (a little under a year ago)
and other then the dog vomit graphics I had the most fun playing a game in my life. What does that say? Well a game that is 10 years old still appeals to an apparantly shit for brains crowd. So eventually I log on the intarweb and it appears that I am a rabid fallout fan. When did this happen? Was it upon the release of Fallout when I was 10 years old? Apparantly.

I dont see why they couldn't have made a worthy sequel and hyped the crap out of it like they would anyway. They would profit simply because they know how to hype the hell out of anything. Seriously. Anything.

On the article: way to make fallout fans up to be one person before shitting on them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom