Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Fallout retrospective Q&A at NMA

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Fallout

<a href=http://www.nma-fallout.com>NMA</a> has posted an <a href=http://www.nma-fallout.com/article.php?id=39341>interview</a> with several Fallout developers: Leonard Boyarsky, Chris Taylor, Feargus Urquhart, Chris Avellone, and J.E. Sawyer.
<br>

<br>
<blockquote><b>Any idea why there were almost no more turn-based cRPGs after Fallout?</b>
<br>

<br>
<b>Leonard Boyarsky</b>: I’m sure people were intimidated by its enormous financial success. Seriously, though - marketing, PR and even execs in the game industry are convinced that you can’t make big money with a turn based game, so no one tries. Now, I don’t know whether you could actually go huge with a turn based game (on the PC) anymore, but, unless someone actually puts out a good one with proper marketing and PR support we’ll never know, will we?
<br>

<br>
<b>J.E. Sawyer</b>: I think a lot of it has to do with the perceived acceptability of certain play modes among PC gamers and retailers. Games like Darklands showed that real-time with pause RPGs could be pretty fun. The Baldur's Gate series was such a huge financial success that it must have seemed like real-time with pause was the inescapable evolution of RPG combat.
<br>

<br>
I think ToEE was the last strong showing of any turn-based PC CRPG, but it was plagued by two problems: it was pretty buggy, and low-level D&D combat in a CRPG is incredibly dull. After patching, learning the D&D rules, and getting to about 4th level, it was great fun. Still, I doubt it made a lot of random shmoe gamers jump up and declare that turn-based combat was the most rad thing they had ever experienced.
<br>

<br>
To be honest, I don't think most gamers actually care a whole lot about whether combat in a CRPG is turn-based or real-time. They just want it to be fun and interesting. I think that convincing retailers that you can have fun and interesting turn-based combat is more difficult than convincing the mythical average gamer. Retailers and publishers get locked in cycles of self-fulfilling prophecies about the viability of certain game elements.</blockquote>It's a great interview, so go to NMA and read the entire thing.

MisterStone

Arcane
Re: Fallout retrospective Q&A at NMA

Vault Dweller said:
<b>Any idea why there were almost no more turn-based cRPGs after Fallout?</b>

<b>Leonard Boyarsky</b>: I’m sure people were intimidated by its enormous financial success. Seriously, though - marketing, PR and even execs in the game industry are convinced that you can’t make big money with a turn based game, so no one tries. Now, I don’t know whether you could actually go huge with a turn based game (on the PC) anymore, but, unless someone actually puts out a good one with proper marketing and PR support we’ll never know, will we?

Hear the call! Save us V. D. Weller, you're our only hope!

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Wasn't TOEE the highest seller of the year for Atari when it was released?

Jora

Arcane
DarkUnderlord said:
Wasn't TOEE the highest seller of the year for Atari when it was released?
IIRC, it was their second or third highest selling PC game of 2003.

It outsold the NWN expansions.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom