Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Mask of the Betrayer review at Computer Games - 88%

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Neverwinter Nights 2; Obsidian Entertainment

<a href=http://computergames.ro>Computer Games</a> has posted a detailed <a href=http://computergames.ro/en/games/viewitem/id/983/name/neverwinter-nights-2-mask-of-the-betrayer/section/review.html>review</a> of <a href=http://www.atari.com/nwn2/motb/US/index.html>Mask of the Betrayer</a>, giving it 88% and noting "great dialogues" and "lots of choices and consequences":
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>However, Mask of the Betrayer is without a doubt one of the most pleasant surprises of the year and further proof that Obsidian Entertainment can create quality RPGs if no one is standing with a shotgun at their backs to get the game done as soon as possible (yes, LucasArts, I’m looking at you). It’s also true however that if on the story, dialogues and character fronts MotB is an excellent example of how things should be done, on the technical and bug-fixing aspect, Obsidian still has some work to do.
<br>
<br>
Regardless of these problems however, Mask of the Betrayer is a triumph which should be saluted by all RPG fans, since it proves once and for all that “old school” RPG principles – wonderful story, interesting characters, great dialogues – which seem to have been forgotten by newer “RPGs”, are still as valid as ever. All that remains now is for The Witcher to rise up to the challenge, thus giving us solid reasons to hope for a new golden age for RPGs on the PC.</blockquote>Good review, Bossman. :salute:
<br>
<br>

slipgate_angel

Scholar
It's so fun to get up early in the morning isn't it? ^w^

Anyways, my computer might not run NWN 2 or it's expansion for quite a while, but from what I've read so far, there might be a reason why I should upgrade.

cardtrick

Arbiter
I bought it, and I'm a few hours in . . . just to the point where I now have three companions. I really, really like it so far. This review seems totally accurate, based on my limited experience, and in a world where an 88% is actually an excellent but not perfect score. Best mainstream RPG since VTMB without question, and I wouldn't have a problem with people preferring it to VTMB (I think I like that game more than it really deserves).

Starwars

Arcane
Pretty much every point the guy makes in this review I agree with, mirrored my own thoughts almost exactly. The only thing where my experience was different was that I didn't experience any bugs (that I can remember anyways).

I liked MotB a lot. Not anywhere near perfect, but very good.

kenney bounces

Liturgist
Playing through it right now. So far it's a pretty good RPG: Good dialogues, interesting characters, a number of interesting sidequests.. etc etc.

Bossman

Educated
Starwars said:
The only thing where my experience was different was that I didn't experience any bugs (that I can remember anyways).

Well, this is a matter of luck really, I mean, my character died once because I swapped his boots with another pair that I had just bought. And yes, he was at full health when it happened and the boots didn't have a Constitution buff on them. Maybe they just weren't his size, who knows :)

Elhoim said:
Then we'll be unable to comunicate with you for a couple of days then. If AoD suffers a setback, blame Obsidian ;)

Hunger strike outside their office until they finish Van Buren for us may be in order.....

And an honest question here....is any of this for real...or are people just so desperate for any halfway decent RPG that Mask of the Betrayer is receiving this praise?

Some questions:

Any decent combat? Or is it more standard Neverwinter Nights fare? Anything challenging? Does it at least approach Icewind Dale or Baldur's Gate 1? Maybe Shadows of Amn or Temple of Elemental Evil even (though I doubt it...)?

Any choices and consequences? If so, on what level? Any comparisons?

Multiple paths through quests, like talking, sneaking, and maybe something else in addition to the perennial smashy smashy?

Is it still a monty haul?

Are the characters good? Or just typical DnD crap that is like "Look at me....I'm a unique race/class combo or a special race or a special organization thing"?

Decent plotline? Or just a Baldur's Gate style rehash of "something's 'wrong' with me...now I've got to fight and stuff" with the whole "curse" I've been hearing about?

A good ending? Is the final conflict a big foozle, or something more?

Can anyone say in an objective standpoint that this is a "good" RPG? Or is it just good for the times?

The angrier the better....

Starwars

Arcane
Any decent combat? Or is it more standard Neverwinter Nights fare? Anything challenging? Does it at least approach Icewind Dale or Baldur's Gate 1? Maybe Shadows of Amn or Temple of Elemental Evil even (though I doubt it...)?

Some decent combat, though on the whole I could do with more difficulty. Absolutely better than NWN2 OC. It approaches at least BG combat in a few areas, but on the average it's easier.

Any choices and consequences? If so, on what level? Any comparisons?

This is hard to say as I feel I would need more replays with different characters. There are mutually exclusive companions, there are times where your companions might attack you depending on what choice you make and there are choices that will affect the ending. It's there, but it's not mega-awesomeness. I think they did pretty good all in all. In the end it's more focused on telling a story than choices around every corner.

Multiple paths through quests, like talking, sneaking, and maybe something else in addition to the perennial smashy smashy?

There are diplomatic solutions here and there. I don't know about sneaking, but I doubt it's "supported" so to speak. Some quests are nice and make use of skills such as Appraise, which is nice (one quest in particular has a really wonderful Appraise check).
Also, I'm not usually one who plays evil characters. But I'm actually starting an evil character for this since there are some interesting evil choices to make.
You will fight though, and you will fight a lot.

Is it still a monty haul?

Not just that... It's epic monty haul this time around. :P You WILL find lots of gold and magica uber weapons just lying around in the most silly of places. Doesn't bother me personally, but this could've definetely been solved in a more satisfying way.

Are the characters good? Or just typical DnD crap that is like "Look at me....I'm a unique race/class combo or a special race or a special organization thing"?

I found them to be very likeable, and I'm someone who usually get annoyed at most companions in games. While their apperance are most definetely unique and weird, they feel way more real than most companions in games. There's not any of the "whining syndrom" that seems to be prevailent in many RPGs. I liked them all (well, I haven't seen on yet), and I think Obsidian did a great job on them.

Decent plotline? Or just a Baldur's Gate style rehash of "something's 'wrong' with me...now I've got to fight and stuff" with the whole "curse" I've been hearing about?

Personally I found the idea of the bhaal-spawn very intriguing, but I don't think the game tells a story to live up to it at all. MotB I would probably place only second to Torment (though Torment still lies quite a far way ahead) in terms of RPGs telling a story. There are a few small things I would've changed, but all in all I think it came together beautifully. It's kinda like a PS:T lite or something. :P

A good ending? Is the final conflict a big foozle, or something more?

There is a final battle, and no way to talk your way out of it. This is a bit of a shame, but the fact that you have to battle makes sense I think. One thing I really liked about MotB is that I think it's "epic done right". While your motivation throughout the entire game is your own survival basically, what you do will end up having a big effect on the world.

There are 4 different endings. There are basically 2 good ones and 2 evil ones. You decide throughout the game whether you're going the good or evil route, then there is a choice you make near the end of the game deciding which one you get. Then there are small variations depending on what characters you brought along, and how you dealt with them etc. I felt satisfied at the end.

Can anyone say in an objective standpoint that this is a "good" RPG? Or is it just good for the times?

I think it holds up very well generally. It doesn't touch games like Fallout, Arcanum and PS:T, but I prefer it to games such as Baldurs Gate 1&2, ToEE, Vampire: Bloodlines, the KOTORs etc. I don't know if that actually tells you something, but I felt it was very good. It's also "just" an expansion, which for me still manages to outclass quite a few full-on games, some of which are highly regarded.

ricolikesrice

Arcane

"PS:T lite" is actually a very well fitting term, it doesnt reach PS:T but comes close enough and mind you its an expansion.

how it compares to fallout / arcanum i dont know because IMHO they are a "different gameplay style" than PS:T / motb.

the combat is just as much a matter of your class choice as basically every other cRPG, including IWD, BG1/2 or ToEE.... couldnt say the later were exactly challenging if you had half a clue what you were doing. so no, with your uber RDD-whatever build you most likely find 80% of combat trivial..... a more "normal" (normal doesnt mean gimped) build however has quite a good challenge in plenty of areas i d say.

choices and consequences are all across the board, just like in the NWN2 OC but even more so. but then again some ppl claim NWN2 OC didnt have much CnC so yeah, for *those* guys MOTB will probably suck too. its not as heavy as CnC as fallout/arcanum but the difference isnt that big as some people claim.

the most annoying thing is the monty haul aspect, 100.000 gold isnt even pocket change anymore .... ;) i wish they d have reduced that (and remove all those retarded "immunity items") compared to the OC, but its even worse now ;)
can live with it though....

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Command & Conquer

it's a series of RTS games made by Westwood Studios. It's especially relevant now that EA bought BioWare, so you'll be seeing CnC pop up quite a bit

Damos

Novice

You sound quite experienced at these games, so you should definitely play MotB on Very Difficult. There are plenty of quite challenging fights if you do. Don't play a Monk though. They get UBER equipment from the word go.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Yeah, MotB on Very Difficult is challenging. I didn't expect to die as much as I did.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom