Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Some moron interviews Pete Hines

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Fallout 3

A boy whose intelligence leaves much to be desired had a chance to <a href=http://www.psu.com/Post-Nuclear-Living-in-Fallout-3-Feature--a0001508-p0.php>interview Pete Hines</a> for <a href=http://www.psu.com>Playstation Universe</a>, featuring asinine questions like "<i>Now, we all know everyone at Bethesda are the kings of NPC's and A.I. Has the PlayStation 3 helped Bethesda to program for A.I. easier than other consoles at all?</i>" and deep and insightful statements like:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>From the creators of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion <u>comes what may be one of the best post-apocalyptic role-playing games ever - Fallout 3</u>. Due to hit stores next year, Fallout 3 will breathe life back into the once amazing franchise about a post nuclear world where humans must not only fight monstrous creatures but toxic infections and radiation as well. </blockquote>Not being completely satisfied with this prediction, the boy-genius added the following on the Bethesda forums:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Well, from what I have seen on Fallout 3 at press events and the pre-E3 showing, I can say that <u>Fallout 3 will be the best RPG ever</u>. Talk to any guy who has seen gameplay footage from press events and they will agree with me.</blockquote>The mind boggles. Anyway, back to the interview:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>Unlike Oblivion where gamers jump into a first time story, Fallout 3 is a game with a storyline that reaches back to two other games. How will the experience be for a gamer that’s never played any previous Fallout game vs. a gamer that’s played them all? Will there be any benefits or disadvantages?</b>
<br>
<br>
Actually, Fallout and The Elder Scrolls are very similar in that respect. Both have a deep storyline and backstory that runs through the series...</blockquote>If Fallout 3's storyline is as deep as Oblivion's storyline... Well, I don't think we can handle all that depth.
<br>
<br>
And in conclusion, here is one of the first comments to the interview:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Oblivion 5? What kind of a idiot are you really? Mentally retarded does not even come close to something that could describe you.</blockquote>Good question. I'd like to know that as well.
<br>
<br>

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
PSU: We just have to ask this….what does the "corpses eaten" statistic on the Pip Boy (a statistics indicator)?

Yeah...what does "Mutants Killed" means too? :shock:

And you can't even send mr. golden boy a personal message, cause his profile on PSU.com is offline.

Surgey

Scholar
Wait, why do you automatically say "oblivion" when somebody says "Elder scrolls"? He said the Elder Scrolls has some depth, which it does. I don't get it.

cardtrick

Arbiter
Surgey said:
Wait, why do you automatically say "oblivion" when somebody says "Elder scrolls"? He said the Elder Scrolls has some depth, which it does. I don't get it.

Pete said:
Actually, Fallout and The Elder Scrolls are very similar in that respect. Both have a deep storyline and backstory that runs through the series...

He is saying that all of the Elder Scrolls, including Oblivion, have depth. Oblivion did not have depth. At all. Whatever depth there was to the series was more or less wiped out and morphed into generic fantasy world # 2. If Pete thinks that this is totally cool or not even noticeable, then it doesn't bode well for Fallout 3.

EDIT: So having just read the full article . . . it's really fucking weird to see someone making Pete look smart.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Surgey said:
Daggerfall had depth. Deep storyline it didn't have.

Arena didn't have any storyline. Morrowind story was "meh". Oblivion storyline was written by a 12-year old. Anything else I can help you with?

Dolar

Novice
The article has been edited now because of the beating he took on the fallout 3 forums. It should be noted it used to have such gems as Oblivion IV and Oblivion 5(when referring to TES) and things like claiming Fallout 3 will be the best RPG ever made.

At least the kid fixed some things, so you have to give him that. Not much, but at least that.

cardtrick

Arbiter
Dolar said:
At least the kid fixed some things, so you have to give him that. Not much, but at least that.

This earns him . . . oh . . . zero points. Yep, zero.

psycojester

Arbiter
EDIT: So having just read the full article . . . it's really fucking weird to see someone making Pete look smart.

No not really, the codex has never really doubted Pete Hines intelligence. We're just certain that he's an intelligent evil soulless whore who doesn't give a shit about trampling all over our hobby to make money.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Well, from what I have seen on Fallout 3 at press events and the pre-E3 showing, I can say that <u>Fallout 3 will be the best RPG ever.

:shock: ... :lol:

... so anyway, did anyone try the new winamp? :roll:

dragonfk

Erudite
I did not endured past Page 1. Tell me, is it normal nowadays that goal of making an interview with any Bethesda employee is to show that this company is so S.P.E.C.I.A.L.y talented that no other company can be compared to it?
Do they really have to suck thier dick so hard? Even reading it makes me blush...

Amasius

Augur
Hey, after all Justin knows that he fucked it up and he admits it:
Justin said:
I completely agree with you guys. I realize that I made a few mistakes both in grammer and just plain journalism. Like I said, a few things have already been edited and as for the interview questions...Next time I will come to you guys! The Ultimate Fans!

Just know, that from my experience as a journalist and doing interviews...games like Fallout 3 you have to ask certain questions until the game is closer to launch. Otherwise you get a lot of "no comment", "we'll divulge into that later", etc.

Sorry if this interview was a disappointment, but please know that I have read all your comments, good and bad, and will try to impress you guys next time around with better questions and details.
Justin said:
As for the past thread about Gamespy and hating Fallout 3 forum goers. It's cool. I have been laughing my ass off for the past 2 hours at these threads slamming my journalism and slamming me as a person. Not that I didn't do a horrible job in writing the interview and questions....I did. But you know, shit happens.

This interview was written and posted this morning 3am my time so it's not like its my best work. If you want to see some other stuff I have done, check the features section on PSU. I have done interviews with Free Radical, Sega, etc.

Anyways, I feel stupid posting excuses and shit. Basically I feel like I am doing this:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=btqKicPJJsk& ... ed&search=

If you didnt like the information that Pete gave, then fine.
Maybe not all hope is lost for this boy. Maybe.

Deleted member 7219

I for one cannot wait for Morrowind 6 or Oblivion 5, whatever you want to call it.

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
...<discussion>...If so, does Bethesda feel this sacrifice made the gameplay more revolutionary in terms of its complexity, or much simpler?

That sentence fascinates me. It's just so awesome. So bethesdas putting in fewer NPCs and that sacrifice could potentially revolutionize the complexity of the gameplay. The mind boggles. I'd love to see those ads in console magazines : "A Revolution in Complexity!!! Coming soon to a Playstation near you!!!"

Well, logically it makes sense that a game set in the capital province of an empire at the height of its rule (Cyrodiil in Oblivion) is going to be much more populated than a post-nuclear wasteland (Capital Wasteland in Fallout 3).

Oh dear. Much more populated? Considering Oblivion felt like a desolate wasteland as it was,I'm probably not going to need more than two hands to count F3s NPCs.

...assorted technical idiocy...

Console fanboys and their need to prove their console better than their neighbors. If you want to champion that cause maybe try knowing what the hell you're talking about. So utterly clueless. How much power is the game using? :picard:

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Naked Ninja said:
...<discussion>...If so, does Bethesda feel this sacrifice made the gameplay more revolutionary in terms of its complexity, or much simpler?

That sentence fascinates me. It's just so awesome. So bethesdas putting in fewer NPCs and that sacrifice could potentially revolutionize the complexity of the gameplay. The mind boggles. I'd love to see those ads in console magazines : "A Revolution in Complexity!!! Coming soon to a Playstation near you!!!"

A revolution ins complexity? Shit, that's something Vanderbeam would say. I just know he'd love Oblivion as much as he loves Catwoman (the movie). I don't usually do that kind of thing, but I may have to email Kris and tell him he needs to fit "A Revolution in Complexity!!!" into his comic.

Lingwe

Liturgist
A couple of things that he might have considering putting in for his interview about a ROLE PLAYING GAME.

1) What is the dialogue like? Topics or full sentances? Dialogue trees? How large is the character limit, still 38 characters or is there actually room to write player responses.

2) What are the quests like? Are there really choices and consequences in each quest or you just trying to fool us with PR speak? Will there be any skill checks that affect whether the quest will turn out differently or not? All quests solvable peacefully? Any quests solvable peacefully? How many choices are in a standard quest?

3) How will the character system affect gameplay? Will be there be another pointless facial customisation system that every preivewer praises to the moon about how you can spend an hour customising your face when in reality that means jack all to the game? Will your character stats affect the ending of the game? Will NPCs react to you differently in quests if your stats are different?

4) Are the quests truly branching or are they Bioware style railroaded. If you make a choice will it actually have a consequence or will you get the same result no matter what you do? Will the designers implement paths with different outcomes or are they just implementing different ways to kill the person?

5) What was the reasoning behind making intelligence not affect dialogue? Laziness, catering to FPS player who want to put all their points in combat stats and thus would miss out on parts of the game, or just the belief that you wouldn't be able present a path for an unintelligent character sufficiently well?

6) What the reasoning behind making dialogue not affect any quests? Didn't want to upset FPS players who think that all that dialogue is boring, or think that forcing the player into combat makes the game last longer and thus be better (and never mind that people might replay it if they played a peaceful character the first time)? Why is dialogue only used to accept quests or advance quests once all the necessary conditions have been met?

Did we see a single one of those questions thay actually tell us anything at all about the game. No, we get a bunch of pointless, sucking up and unrelated questions that have either been asked before or were considering too useless to ask.

Texas Red

Whiner
Will your character stats affect the ending of the game?

I cant wait until Il be able to dump my intelligence in to 1 for powergaming porpuses since it wont affect anything, as stated by Bethesda :cool:

zioburosky13

Educated
Kid was sucking Todd's balls while writing. No wonder the gibberish.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom