Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Mask of the Betrayer Review

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer; Obsidian Entertainment

My thoughts about Mask of the Betrayer:

That’s where the game starts to shine so brightly that you completely forget about any flaws the game has and get lost in a well crafted gameworld. It’s like a dream come true – a non-linear game loaded with well-written dialogues, interesting quests, more choices than you can handle, and enough consequences and to make the game highly replayable. It’s hard to imagine a better feature list.

I can't stress it enough. The choices are everywhere. There are plenty of consequences. What you did may even cost party members their lives. Many characters respond to and recognize your choices, commenting on what you did and affecting your gameplay. I couldn't believe how many opportunities to do things differently the game offers.​

Click here to read the rest

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Not bad; but it ultimately came across as 'If you diasagree with me, you are stupid." kind of diatribe. That works fine on message boards (hell, I'm a master of that kind of posting, L0L); but for an 'official' review; it hurts what crediibility the reviewer could have.

That said, I agree with some things you said and disagreed with others. MOTB is a very good game/expansion pack; but it's no masterpiece. That said, it *is* better than PST because it's not one dimensional. then again, unliek you, I'm biased in favor of D&D style combat whether it be turn based, rela time, or NWN/IE series style (which is *not* full fledge RT or TB).

And, despite your silly examples (which you used to 'prove your point' ala a politician), the game and powers to do change when your reach epic levels with such things as epic spells, and certain feats (rescue, dragon summon/shape).

Still, ultimately, like 90% of Codexian 'official' reviews, it was well written. Thumbs up for that. :cool:

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I mostly agree with the review, but everything you say you loved I'd say liked or enjoyed, and the things you say are inconsequential I'd say bugged the shit outta me.

DemonKing

Arcane
I'm enjoying it so far (only into chapter 2) except for the combat which is freaking awful (although a little bit more tolerable now I have the Bear grunt to absorb damage for me). The high speed everyone moves at, the clunky camera, and the difficulty in setting up for set piece battles is extremely frustrating. Also the fact that my dumb caster has to run forward to the front lines to talk to enemies before big battles is exasperating. The IE games were a million times better in this regard.

I was almost shocked last night when I went to the World map and discovered a bunch of travel options...and no big clues saying "GO HERE FIRST". It's really quite weird to have that kind of freedom again...

Badesumofu

Novice
That review sums up most of what I thought about the game. I notice you also got One of Many to refer to you as 'Dark One', I liked thta little touch. Irritating that in it's floats when it responds to your voice commands it still refers to you as 'Master'.

Epic Levels do mean a lot of +1 to this ability/stat, and a lot of epic versions of old feats that do the same thing, with +3 instead of +2. There are a handful of epic feats which do do something completely new, though. Epic Resilience is nice (no more auto-fail when you roll a 1 on a save) epic dodge lets you completely ignore 1 attack per round from your current target or last attacker. It's mostly pretty uninspiring compared to the first 20 levels though. D&D's sweet psot is between about levels 4 and 14. Before 4 combat is too much about 'lucky crits', and resultant reloads. After level 14 is when it gets a bit insane, and after 20 it's mostly just new ranks of old abilities.

I mostly enjoyed the combat. Because there wasn't so much of it what there was, was more enjoyable. No endless fights against packs of trivial Orcs which only test your patience. I was expecting it to be a bit harder after reading numerous threads about how insaney hard it was supposed to be, people crying about the fight against the 2 nightwalkers, or the fight against the 3 Death Knights. The Nightwalkers were cake, it's just a matter of being able to deal the right kind of damage aginst them. The Death Knights are perfectly doable as long as you prepare correctly and have some kind of clue about what you're doing. It wasn't overly challenging, I never got stuck with combat, it didn't get in the way of the story, but it wasn't so easy as to be boring and pointless.

The Spirit-Meter was fine. Moron-Meter is a perfect name for it, because onyl a total moron would have any difficulty with it. Just because you're evil doesn't mean you have to eat 10 spirits a day and get 100 craving instantly. It should be a total non-issue for good characters; and just a matter of not being a total moron for evil characters. Hell, there's always Satiate, it only costs 5-10 minutes worth of XP.

The game is definitely worth at least 2 playthroughs, just to see how differently so many things can turn out. There's also a number of things that you can very easily miss. It might not be like Arcanum where I'd still find new things even on my 15th playthrough, but there's a lot. I've been conditioned to expect false-choices, the example in the review about the witch-overthrow is a good one. If you're too used to games that don't give you real choices, you can miss some of the choices here. Unlike in the OC when, on the rare occaision you get a real choice, the game makes sure to very clearly articulate what the choice is, and what your options are; MotB's choices often need to be sought out. A lot of times the PC has to actually show initiative (!) and look for an alternate solution. Ashenwood (an area you could conceivably miss althogether; actually there was a thread on the Bio Boards where osme guy was asking what Ashenwood was, he never found it in his playthrough) comes to mind as having several good examples of this.

Easily a top 10 RPG for me.

The_Pope

Scholar
Wow. I played through as goodish, but you've convinced me to start again for One of Many. A bear god is a pretty cool companion, but an undead construct who kicks ass and chews souls?

Brilliant.

pug987

Scholar
VD in the Slumbering Coven were you talk with the lich and One-of-Many reveals itself and makes the lich lose some of it's undead servants did you have to fight the lich afterall or did it leave in peace?
There is a way to resolve that encounter without battle but it needs you to do something in Okku's Barrow at the begining of the game.

Lurkar

Scholar
Out of curiosity, I've noticed articles are not put up as news items. Why's that? It seems that would be an ideal place to stick 'em, or at least a blurb about them.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
Lurkar said:
Out of curiosity, I've noticed articles are not put up as news items. Why's that? It seems that would be an ideal place to stick 'em, or at least a blurb about them.

In the past, it seemed to be tradition VD would write an article/review and another admin would post it in the news. Of course, it seems like VD is the only news poster, so that might explain that.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Nice review, VD, even though it's very... codexy. :salute:

Oh, a question- will this run somewhat on a Radeon 9600 or does it need Shaders 2.0?

spacemoose

Erudite
Greatatlantic said:
In the past, it seemed to be tradition VD would write an article/review and another admin would post it in the news. Of course, it seems like VD is the only news poster, so that might explain that.

truly, a dark day

as for the review itself - it'd make me buy the game if I had the rig to run it. SOLID.

The_Pope

Scholar
Anyone know of any good mods I should use for my second play through?

I remember there was a thread on it a while ago, but a lot of the info in it is probably out of date.

Texas Red

Whiner
Good review. Though I think one important aspect should be mentioned, the endings. From what Ive read there are 4 of them and are pretty satisfying.

Since it wasnt mentioned in the review, Il ask here. Do the endings depend through SEVERAL choises during the whole game or just in the end ala KotOR 1?

Also, can you refuse all of the companions and just travel alone?

BTW, there is a pretty big chance that the next expansion will be featured in Chult, a jungle area in Faerun. If you read the official forums you may know why. Basically, in the original campaign the tips mentioned Okku and Rasheman for no apparent reason. This time the tips write about Chult. So its possible that the next expansion will also take place in an exotic setting.

And VD is spot on about the Halo 3 and Oblivion comment. Those idiots who reviewed the Stronghold plugin with high scores should be isolated from the society.

EDIT: I thought you were supposed to review both the OC and MotB, VD.

Lurkar

Scholar
The Walkin' Dude said:
BTW, there is a pretty big chance that the next expansion will be featured in Chult, a jungle area in Faerun. If you read the official forums you may know why. Basically, in the original campaign the tips mentioned Okku and Rasheman for no apparent reason. This time the tips write about Chult. So its possible that the next expansion will also take place in an exotic setting.

I REALLY hope so. Moving away from the fucking Sword Coast can only be a good thing.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
This is plain awesome. Thanks for the review VD, interesting read. All that whiney bitches who are like " I wont buy this because NWN 2 sucked" should shut up and get the fuck out of here.

Finally, after all these years, we have a RPG that isn't only "meh quite ok for todays standarts" but "this is first league even compared to older classics".

Every true patriot should get the fucking game ASAP, or stop complaining about the current state of RPGs. You suckers bought the Oblivion Collectors Edition but 60-70 $ for maybe one of the last classics of RPG history (granted, bundled with a arguably very mediacore game) is too much for you? Go suck some Todd Howard dick. Disgusting.

The_Pope

Scholar
Lurkar said:
The Walkin' Dude said:

I REALLY hope so. Moving away from the fucking Sword Coast can only be a good thing.

More like bored coast amirite?

sqeecoo

Arcane
Well, it seems I will have to play this game. Thanks for the tip, VD.

You are lvl18, gah. I don't like that.

Are there any good companions anyway? They all seem evil.

Judging from the screens, I can't say I like the graphics... too flashy and cluttered for my taste.

I'm surprised this game did not get more coverage before the release (compared to ME and Witcher). Or maybe I missed something.

Ah well, I'm off to the store...

sqeecoo

Arcane
KazikluBey said:
squeecoo: Two neutral (the romanceable ones) NPCs, one evil and two good.

Thanks. Although Red Wizards were supposed to be evil, according to BG...

the_Consumer

Novice
Jasede said:
Oh, a question- will this run somewhat on a Radeon 9600 or does it need Shaders 2.0?

I played the original on a 9600 pro, amd athlon xp 2400+,512 ram. It lagged, but was bareble, and they also supposedly improved the performance in MotB, so I dont think you'll have any problems. (Couldn't test it myself, couse my card died a few weeks ago. It was 4 years old.)

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Hmm, thanks, but I just checked it and it says "minimum: 128 MB graphics card" but my Radeon 9600 SE only has 64. Maybe I will upgrade to a Radeon 9800, though I really dislike change.

NiM82

Prophet
Great review. I hadn't really paid much heed to the MOTB build up or previews, but chanced it based on the good feedback. Tis fucking great indeed, one of the few games I've felt compelled to replay immediately. I've also got to mention the music, it rocked and reminded me of PST. The music on the Astral Plane was stunning.

Only things that pissed me off were the epic levels and the camera. I played in RTS mode and every time I went into a new area I had to re-spot it, zoom out and rotate it - pretty annoying. Regarding the levels, I'm the type who quite likes fiddling with different armour/weapons and was pretty disappointed that I ended the game with almost the same gear as I imported from NWN2, my prestige armour was better than anything I had picked up or seen at merchants (I didn't take crafting as a skill). The weapon I found at the start also kept me going right until the end, when I got the silver sword again. All this made the insane amounts of money available pretty redundant somehow.

Maybe I will upgrade to a Radeon 9800, though I really dislike change.
Get a GeForce 6800 if your going to upgrade legacy stuff, it has SM3.0 support and would keep you going longer than a 9800, prob similar prices as well.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Jasede said:
Hmm, thanks, but I just checked it and it says "minimum: 128 MB graphics card" but my Radeon 9600 SE only has 64. Maybe I will upgrade to a Radeon 9800, though I really dislike change.

AGP right? I got a Sapphire Radeon X1550 AGP card when I upgraded for NWN2, it works great with the game and it's really cheap. You should consider it if you upgrade, you rarely find a low-end card with 256MB memory and 256bit memory bus these days, plus it has SM3.0 and AVIVO.

As for the review: it pretty much is what I expected it to be, although I still have a lot to go until I finish MotB. Good stuff, glad Obsidian came through!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom