Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

MSN previews Fallout 3

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Fallout 3

<A HREF="http://tech.uk.msn.com/">MSN</A> wrote a <A HREF="http://tech.uk.msn.com/features/article.aspx?cp-documentid=6666856">preview</A> for <A HREF="http://fallout.bethsoft.com/eng/home/home.php">Fallout 3</A>, thinking that it's going to be the best game of 2008.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>There aren’t many games companies confident enough to start fuelling the hype around their games a full year before they are scheduled to hit the shops, but Bethesda are doing just that with their ‘next big thing’ Fallout 3 – and they have already succeeded in making it one of the most eagerly anticipated titles around.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Yes, hype... that's what they do best, after all. Praising a game to the heavens a year before it has been released isn't a very good sign, really, Bethesda did it before and we know how it ended.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>
<br>
Of course, when it’s Bethesda – the software house behind the mighty Oblivion games – that are making the game, and they can boast the voice talents of Liam Neeson and Ron Perlman in a series of games that already has a huge nostalgic fan-base, you can begin to imagine just why excitement is building.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Yeah, and this shows exactly why Fallout 3 will be so great. It's made by the guys responsible for the "Oblivion games" [I thought Oblivion was only one game, but maybe he wanted to say "Elder Scrolls" instead] and has two well-known actors to be voice actors. I can already see the greatness.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>During the demo, we witnessed a mission that saw the player decide whether to blow up the entire township of ‘Megaton’ which is assembled around an unexploded warhead. Although we watched in delight as the town was reduced to dust, this option would leave the player facing a very different game to one who chose to save the residents.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
I wonder why they always mention exactly the same quest when giving an example for the choice and consequence in FO3. Makes me wonder if there actually are any other quests giving you some harsh game-changing consequences besides this one.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>“In some cases you will make a choice that is unrecoverable. Obviously if you do something like blow up Megaton you can try to work your way back up the Karma system but you’re probably not going to get back to even neutral – because you can’t make up for being that evil!</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Good and evil? Where's the moral ambiguity gone? Meh, let's hope they'll at least manage to deliver on the choices and consequences and make them at least somewhat logical.
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://tech.uk.msn.com/features/article.aspx?cp-documentid=6666856">MSN</A>

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
MSN said:
a series of games that already has a huge nostalgic fan-base

Already? Ten years on = already?

JarlFrank said:
I wonder why they always mention exactly the same quest when giving an example for the choice and consequence in FO3.

Because Bethesda is showing the exact same 6-month old demo they showed to GI and there's only one quest in it. Bethesda hasn't actually revealed any other quests with or without choice and consequence. Typical stinginess of information.

Zomg

Arbiter
I am reminded again of Felcher's quest. Fulgore's quest. Something like that.

stargelman

Scholar
Jarl, we all know how representative their demos are for what is to come. We've seen it often enough.

Zomg said:
I am reminded again of Felcher's quest. Fulgore's quest. Something like that.
Fargoth.

Section8

Cipher

ship_crack

Novice
Sounds like another low-brow sucking-up review. Is any previewers ever going to be capable of giving Bethseda any kind of negative critisim at all? sheesh it seems like they lost all there brain-cells when they played obilivion, either that or it's todd howards wallet.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I'm fucking tired of hearing about megaton. The entire premise of the town is utterly silly, as is the idea that a warhead that failed to detonate when it was new will somehow start working 200 years later. If I do end up playing fallout 3 I'll shoot everyone in the town and leave the bomb unexploded.

dragonfk

Erudite
ship_crack said:
Sounds like another low-brow sucking-up review. Is any previewers ever going to be capable of giving Bethseda any kind of negative critisim at all? sheesh it seems like they lost all there brain-cells when they played obilivion, either that or it's todd howards wallet.

They brain-cells just autoscaled to a proper level.

As for the quest dont be so harsh with them(not that I hope for something better than Oblivion), if I recall correctly in The Witchers previews they were(previewers) mentioning the quest with giving or not goods to elves or smth like that. It was mentioned in every god damned preview.

Deleted member 7219

JarlFrank said:
<blockquote>
Of course, when it’s Bethesda – the software house behind the mighty Oblivion games – that are making the game, and they can boast the voice talents of Liam Neeson and Ron Perlman in a series of games that already has a huge nostalgic fan-base, you can begin to imagine just why excitement is building.</blockquote>

Yeah, and this shows exactly why Fallout 3 will be so great. It's made by the guys responsible for the "Oblivion games" [I thought Oblivion was only one game, but maybe he wanted to say "Elder Scrolls" instead] and has two well-known actors to be voice actors. I can already see the greatness.

You are wrong, lol. Don't you remember Oblivion 3 released back in 2002? Oblivion 4 was the most recent game in 2006. But there was Oblivion 3 before then, it even had two expansions.

Section8

Cipher
No dumbass, we're up to Oblivion XII. Oblivion XI was an MMO, and Oblivion X had Joey Lauren Adams as the main character. Even though "he" was a "guy". Go figure.

The author added a few notes on my blog.

Ooh, I bet he stuck them there with paste glue because his minders won't let him use big kids glue. Or <shudder> he spat a gob of putrescent Hines-gravy onto the back of a Fallout 3 press release and stuck it there then scrawled "my opinyun" across the front with a red crayon gripped between the toes on his right foot. I'd hate to be the guy who has to clean that screen every day.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
ship_crack said:
Is any previewers ever going to be capable of giving Bethseda any kind of negative critisim at all?

Abandon all hope of ever seeing this happen. Seriously.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
JarlFrank said:
I wonder why they always mention exactly the same quest when giving an example for the choice and consequence in FO3. Makes me wonder if there actually are any other quests giving you some harsh game-changing consequences besides this one.

Is that even a choice with consequence? It just seems like you blow up a town and get evil points and evil quests, or you save the town and get good points and good quests. How much more retardedly obvious can you get?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"I wonder why they always mention exactly the same quest when giving an example for the choice and consequence in FO3. Makes me wonder if there actually are any other quests giving you some harsh game-changing consequences besides this one."

I don't care to defend Betehsda at all; but the answer to this is obvious to all but Codex Dinksoids - to not spoil the game.

"Is that even a choice with consequence? It just seems like you blow up a town and get evil points and evil quests, or you save the town and get good points and good quests. How much more retardedly obvious can you get?"

Of course, it's a choice with consequence. Don't be daft. Is it obvious? Yup. Then again, most choices came with rather obvious consequences in FO as well. *shrug* If you use common sense most choices in real life 9as well as games) should have 'obvious' consequences.

ie. You make the choice to smoke cigerattes the obvious likely consequence is lung cancer when you are older. Duh.

Lumpy

Arcane
JarlFrank said:
I wonder why they always mention exactly the same quest when giving an example for the choice and consequence in FO3.
It's sad that a newsposter is dumb enough to wonder this.

roshan

Arcane
Meh, let's hope they'll at least manage to deliver on the choices and consequences and make them at least somewhat logical.

Arent we supposed to be cynical, bitter and angry cunts? The Codex shouldnt be hoping for anything.

elander_

Arbiter
I wish the Fallout devs would never had that retarded idea of putting a karma good/evil meter in the game. Now look at Bethesda talking about Karma as if it was the best thing in rpg choices.

stargelman

Scholar
roshan said:
Arent we supposed to be cynical, bitter and angry cunts? The Codex shouldnt be hoping for anything.
I bet they told him in Editing Camp "...and remember, don't be a Stargelman. Everything doesn't have to be hopeless and terrible all of the time!"

themadhatter114

Liturgist
Patron
I gotta agree that it's obvious why they always talk about the same quest. How often do you hear previews talk about more than one major quest? When a gaming site asks for an example they have an example. It's up to the interviewer to ask if there are any smaller examples they could offer.

Lingwe

Liturgist
Is that even a choice with consequence? It just seems like you blow up a town and get evil points and evil quests, or you save the town and get good points and good quests. How much more retardedly obvious can you get?

Yep, that's absolutely crazy. If you choose to blow up the bomb then you get evil karma and are able to do some more evil quests, and if you choose to not blow up the bomb then you get good karma and are able to some more good quests. That doesn't make any sense at all. It should be the other way around.

Cutting off quests is a fairly decent consequence no? Or is it that even when Bethesda does something that would get praised in another RPG it is still considered worthless just because it is done by Bethesda.

obediah

Erudite
I've always wondered why Bethesda paid $4.5 mio or whatever for the Fallout license, when a "Bethesda (the makers of Oblivion!!1111!!)" game would sell much better than a Fall Out game.

Maybe they spent that money just to get the '3'. Today's young connoisseur knows that only sequels are worth playing/watching.

Lurkar

Scholar
Do people honestly read more then one review for any reason other to laugh at it? I swear these are almost directly copy - pasted from one another. Seriously, one person writes the review, everyone else borderline plagerizes it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom