Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info ToEE Journal #6 at RPGVault

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: Temple of Elemental Evil; Troika Games

<A HREF="http://rpgvault.ign.com" target="_blank">RPG Vault</a> have posted <a href=http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/436/436703p2.html>the sixth and final</a> ToEE dev diary. This one was penned by <b>Sean Craig</b> programmer extraordinaire. It's all about the fun times just before the game goes GOLD.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>It's at this stage that really difficult bugs are tackled. The only occurred onces, the unable to reproduces. Oh, when you talked to Jaroo he didn't have any idea that you successfully completed the quest he gave you? Didn't that work yesterday? Well, what changed? Nothing. Let me try it over here. Works fine. Okay, you try it again. Works fine. After a couple of hours of prying and guesswork, it turns out it only happens if the follower Elmo is the first character in the party. Temple of Elemental Evil is a big game, with tons of locations, quests, dialogs, followers, spells, magic items to find or create, class abilities, feats, monster abilities, interfaces, races and domain abilities. Dungeons and Dragons is a complicated rules system with tons of nooks and crannies to keep things interesting. The story is very non-linear, with lots of different ways to accomplish lots of different goals. In short, it's a testing challenge. Once, I got a bug with familiars. Familiars are crashing the game, said the testers. Works on my machine, I said. Turns out it was just the weasel; it had bad art. I never used the weasel; I preferred toads.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Toads give +2 constitution. <i>For free</i>. That's a heck of a lot better than some weasel's Move Silently bonus.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at <a href="http://www.rpgdot.com">RPGDot</a>

Voss

Erudite
Actually toads give +3 hp, weasels give +2 reflex save.
At least under 3.5.

Plus, weasels are way cooler than toads. Except for the Pauly Shore factor- which I have to admit takes them down a lot in the overall ranking.

But ravens are the best- they can talk. And give you something else, though I forget what at the moment.

At least they actually test things. Nothing like finding out after the fact that saving while invisible crashes the game and corrupts all the save files.

Voss

Erudite
Well, if its a poison arrow frog, you could fling it at people and hope they die.
Or possibly teach it to projectile vomit.

Seven

Erudite
Voss said:
Well, if its a poison arrow frog, you could fling it at people and hope they die.
Or possibly teach it to projectile vomit.

I saw that episode of the Simpson's too. You know, the one where Bart sins against nature (again).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom