Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Avernum 5 interview on RPG Vault

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Tags: Avernum 5; Jeff Vogel; Spiderweb Software

<A HREF"=http://rpgvault.ign.com/">RPG Vault</A> has a new <A HREF="http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/836/836947p1.html">interview</A> with Jeff Vogel, this time concerning <A HREF="http://www.avernum.com/avernum5/index.html">Avernum 5</A>, "the middle game in Spiderweb Software's second trilogy" - which means we'll see Avernum 6 someday.<blockquote>The gameworld has a lot of different sections, each with its own distinct environment, characters and situations. For example, one region is controlled by the Anama, a strange faith that has decided magic is evil and dangerous, and must be resisted. They will attempt to get you to join. Of course, you can, thus giving you a different, interesting and very optional route through the game.</blockquote>Such features are always commendable in an RPG, even if Vogel's games are so huge that when the thought of replaying them comes into your mind, there's usually a new one around.<blockquote>Because of the new battle discipline system, training your mages in the battle skills can be quite helpful. Warriors, on the other hand, can be much more effective with a little magical training.
<br>
(...)You learn battle disciplines by increasing your battle skills. This system is completely new to Avernum 5. Basically, they buff the warrior or cause the next blow to harm the target in a special way. Each causes fatigue for several turns, during which time you can't use another discipline. They can be used to improve all attacks, including missiles and spells. Thus, every character can benefit from training in the martial skills.</blockquote>If this really works, it's a good enhancement of the character system. In previous games developing your characters became a no-brainer after a while since e.g. spellcasters really didn't need to improve attributes or skills not connected with magic.
<br>
<br>
We should expect the Windows version of the game to be released around February 2008.
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgwatch.com">RPG Watch</A>

spacemoose

Erudite
if you start out in a fort on the outskirts of avernum having to clean up a goblin infestation AGAIN, I'm going to drive over to jeff vogel's house and punch him in the face.

the exile/avernum series peaked with exile 3 and have been edging downhill ever since. give me well made 2D tiles and a huge selection of spells over pseudo-3d and the same 7 spells over and over again any day

Lurkar

Scholar
Spacemoose said:
if you start out in a fort on the outskirts of avernum having to clean up a goblin infestation AGAIN, I'm going to drive over to jeff vogel's house and punch him in the face.

the exile/avernum series peaked with exile 3 and have been edging downhill ever since. give me well made 2D tiles and a huge selection of spells over pseudo-3d and the same 7 spells over and over again any day

While Exile 2 is my favorite, one of the reasons is nostalgia factor. I really enjoyed the Geneforges (though not as much for 3) and Avernum 4 was, while different, still very fun. I'll probably be buying this.

Besides, what's so bad about starting at the fort and cleaning up goblins? That's how 90% of all RPGs start, because goblins are easy to kill, and you're just level one adventurers. That's what level one adventurers do. They kill goblins. Or kobolds. But you get the idea.

spacemoose

Erudite
killing goblins as the first thing in every single installment of the series though?

why not have the initial hook be something like infiltrating a local smuggling ring or instigating a war between those same goblins and the kobolds instead of

1. get equipment
2. kill goblins
3. kill goblin king
4. proceed with the rest of the game

every single time.

don't answer that. its because vogel has lost the inspiration. writing games is by now a chore rather than a labor of love for him. if playing the game is so abysmally boring, imagine how boring making it must have been

Elwro

Arcane
You start out as soldiers of the Empire sent to hunt the traitors who wanted to assassinate the Empress this time.

spacemoose

Erudite
Elwro said:
You start out as soldiers of the Empire sent to hunt the traitors who wanted to assassinate the Empress this time.

empress "prazac" of the ever tranquil empire no less

I'm betting there will be a goblin infestation clearing prerequisite quest anyhow.

Elwro

Arcane
larpingdude14 said:
Looks like Fallout, but the character portraits are HORRIBLE.
Play the demo for one of the older versions. See that not only character portraits are horrible. But notice (I hope) that the games are great fun. It's worth trying- the demos are huge.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Yeah, try it. Many Codexers seem to like Avernum/Geneforge. Me, the mediocre writing, really bad art, shoddy combat, lame beginning and clunky and ugly interface just put me off too much but maybe you won't mind and can spy the glorious choices and consequences (for which I don't care all that much) in the game.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Jasede said:
Yeah, try it. Many Codexers seem to like Avernum/Geneforge. Me, the mediocre writing, really bad art, shoddy combat, lame beginning and clunky and ugly interface just put me off too much but maybe you won't mind and can spy the glorious choices and consequences (for which I don't care all that much) in the game.

You forgot to mention the eye-hurting graphics. They're too bright and sketchy, heck, I can stand the graphics of old games like Dusk of the Gods or even the first Ultima, but the Spiderweb games are just hard to the eyes.

The start of each Avernum game in the series is radically different from the previous entries:
  • In Avernum 1 you kill goblins in a cave, followed by bandits in a fort.
  • Whereas in Avernum 2 you kill Nephil, and their goblin slaves, in a cave, followed by bandits in a completely different cave.
  • Whereas in Avernum 3 you kill goblins in a cave followed by bandits in another cave which is linked to the goblin cave.
  • Whereas in Avernum 4 you kill goblins in a cave followed by some Nephil who aren't even in a cave at all (ok the distinction between cave and 'non-cave' is dubious because it's all one big cave system).

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
JarlFrank said:
Jasede said:

You forgot to mention the eye-hurting graphics. They're too bright and sketchy, heck, I can stand the graphics of old games like Dusk of the Gods or even the first Ultima, but the Spiderweb games are just hard to the eyes.

roqua calls me a graphics whore because avernum gfx make me puke even though i can stand wizardry 1 on an apple no prob ;.;

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
The spirit of roqua says : that's like saying you enjoy sucking dick and but don't enjoy swallowing. Might make you seem better, but you're still a huge gay

Lurkar

Scholar
I don't really follow the goblin/bandit complaint. What else do you want to kill? Giant rats? Oh wait, you typically kill those at either the goblin/nephil/bandit cave. In pretty much every RPG that has goblins, you kill them as your first quest. That's what goblins are there for.

As for the graphics, I don't really mind them at all. They're no worse then some of the much older games the Codex praises. That said, I still liked Exile more then Avernum :?

FrancoTAU

Cipher
I think most of us are fine with the graphics. It's more of him literally using the the same engine and even artwork for the the 9th time that has been annoying people as of late.

The starter goblin quest observation is being nitpicky, but you think he would look to avoid being cliche even within his own history.

That being said, i'm still a fan and will check it out eventually. I still like his games, but not really loving them anymore. There are finally other indy RPGs coming out so with more choices out there I hope he gets a kick in the ass and starts working on doing something new.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom