Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Gaming Nexus reviews Mask of the Betrayer

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Tags: Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer; Obsidian Entertainment

There's a <a href="http://www.gamingnexus.com/Default.aspx?Section=Article&I=1666">short review</a> of the NWN2's first (and hopefully not last) expansion over at <a href="http://www.gamingnexus.com/">Gaming Nexus</a>. While they generally seem to like it, they still complain about the abundance of numbers and the steep learning curve. Let's take a look at the concluding paragraph, though:<blockquote>The polluted learning curve, however, has purchased a multitude of carbon offsets in the form of grand, high-fantasy storytelling; none of it watered down. No dialogue is wasted, and character development is meaningful and sensibly pieced together in tangible snippets. The soundtrack is as lush as ever, the cutscenes continue to be the antithesis of action-packed, but the scripting is massive and occasionally lights atop the Shakespearean (we’re still talking contemporary video games, though, so don’t overrate that statement).</blockquote>I'm not sure how scripting can light anything atop and have no idea what they mean by "tangible snippets" of character development, but the abundance of meaningful dialogue options is always something praiseworthy.<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.shacknews.com">Shacknews</A>

Deleted member 7219

Has anybody mentioned the sloppy return of one of the original characters? It was just really an afterthought, no voice acting, just a few dialogue screens. I think that was the only part of MotB that irritated me... I wish they hadn't involved it all.

I'm not gonna say who it was but people who've played through MotB will know who I mean.

bat_boro

Arcane
Matt7895 said:
Has anybody mentioned the sloppy return of one of the original characters? It was just really an afterthought, no voice acting, just a few dialogue screens. I think that was the only part of MotB that irritated me... I wish they hadn't involved it all.

I'm not gonna say who it was but people who've played through MotB will know who I mean.

Well, that character did give some insights on the fate of your ex-companions though ...

JrK

Prophet
Yes but only as an afterthought it seems, not very detailed or anything.

But the whole problem with it is that the shallow boring original campaign leaves some of it's traces.

Selenti

Liturgist
I'm happy to say that MotB is basically what Hordes of the Underdark was to NWN1: the expansion that vaguely redeems the core game's incredible shittiness.

ricolikesrice

Arcane

Selenti said:
I'm happy to say that MotB is basically what Hordes of the Underdark was to NWN1: the expansion that vaguely redeems the core game's incredible shittiness.

i find that comparision pretty lame. HOTU was somewhat entertaining as a diablo clone, but not any less shit as a cRPG then the NWN1 OC.... the NWN2 OC easily had a lot more roleplaying then HOTU...... and MOTB flatout destroys both of course.

i never get the HOTU praise. sure i enjoyed it somewhat too, especially over NWN1OC ..... but only as a hack n slash, not an interesting roleplaying game .

Selenti

Liturgist
Re: ...

ricolikesrice said:
Selenti said:

i find that comparision pretty lame. HOTU was somewhat entertaining as a diablo clone, but not any less shit as a cRPG then the NWN1 OC.... the NWN2 OC easily had a lot more roleplaying then HOTU...... and MOTB flatout destroys both of course.

i never get the HOTU praise. sure i enjoyed it somewhat too, especially over NWN1OC ..... but only as a hack n slash, not an interesting roleplaying game .

It's basically damned by faint praise.

See, NWN1 and SoU sucked so bad that even a really pale clone of Throne of Bhaal seemed really, really awesome in comparison. MOTB is a bit better than Hordes, yeah, but I think the analogy works.

Deleted member 7219

Re: ...

ricolikesrice said:
Selenti said:

Dem's fightin' words to Volourn. You better hope he don't see this.

cardtrick

Arbiter
"Motherfucker" is racially insensitive to Canadians. It's a lifestyle choice, not a dirty word, damnit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom