Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview VD vs the Old Republic

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Age of Decadence; Iron Tower

There's a new <b><a href="http://www.irontowerstudio.com/">Age of Decadence</a></b> interview up at KOTOR fansite <a href="http://www.starwarsknights.com/">StarWarsKnights.com</a>. Not surprisingly, our old pal VD took the opportunity to throw in a few anti-KOTOR jabs.
<br>
<blockquote>Now, consequences. Take Knights of the Old Republic for example. Remember when you decided to be the true Revan, the Dark Lord of the Sith, and then finally arrived to the Sith Academy on Korriban and ... nobody cared. You, the Dark Lord of the Sith, had to jump through the same hoops as any other character. Remember now? Well, that's what lack of consequences feels like. You've made an important choice, but the game ignored it completely. "What? You are THE Dark Lord of the Sith? Good for you, sugar. Now go back to you corner."</blockquote>
<br>
Read the <a href="http://www.starwarsknights.com/fullstory.php?id=470">first part</a> of a three part extravaganza over the next few days.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
I knew it was Pavlos who did the interview. The most intelligent person hanging around at the SWK and TSLRP forums. Spread the word of good RPG design, comrade Pavlos, for blood and honor, choices and consequences, and a hard-boiled egg!

MetalCraze

Arcane
TSLRP - abandonware is abandoned
anyway - VD is messing with the hornets' nest there. strangely how he still survives at Emoware territory

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
ah is that true skyway? pretty disappointing conclusion aint it. Heh.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
How the hell did he get an interview over there? Good for VD for getting exposure anywhere outside the same couple thousand people who make up the Codex, NMA, Watch, GameBanshee, etc.

-Pavlos-

Novice
Cheers, Lestat. :)

FrancoTAU said:
How the hell did he get an interview over there? Good for VD for getting exposure anywhere outside the same couple thousand people who make up the Codex, NMA, Watch, GameBanshee, etc.
My answer to everything: "Because I like ye olde school RPGs and Age of Decadence harkens back to them. "

elander_

Arbiter
Kotor is a nice bioware game but it lacks a lot in properly done reactions. I'm not even talking about large consequences, just proper reactions those epic moments.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Lestat said:
skyway said:
TSLRP - abandonware is abandoned
What.
He's just teasing, Lestat. Team Gizka just has to iron out the last pesky bugs they introduced to the game themselves with their mod before they can turn it all over to the public.

Also, I remember that you could tell pretty much everyone on Korriban that you're Revan and they just laugh at you. Well, you didn't get a consequence but you did get a REACTION!!!

Meh.

Texas Red

Whiner
Korriban is a great location. I love it. I loved killing all of those Sith with such ease, it raised my virtual ego immensely.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Korriban was probably the worst location in KotOR1 together with Manaan where besides the traditional trial nothing interesting really happens.

skyway said:
Tatooine was ok mostly, though I don't remember Star Wars having dragons.

That was a fucking cockblock of epic proportions. You hear all this buildup about how tough a Crate Dragon...or whatever the fuck it was...is and then when you find one, you can't fight it. It could have spiced up KOTOR's incredibly boring encounters a bit, and given Bioware could, at one point in time, make some decent dragon fights, maybe it could have had potential. But no...you have it walk out on some mines. You don't even have a choice to Leeroy that giant sack of crap. Lame as all fucking hell.

Gee whiz that's a whole lotta' fucking explicit language!

Anywho, KOTOR 1 was pretty generic as far as locations go. Everything was a planet completely dominated by one geographic climate zone coupled with one plot subtheme. Yay!

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Lestat said:
Star Forge is very memorable. A sentient factory fueled by the unholy energies of the Dark Side. It's impossible to forget something that stupid.

:lol:

oldschool

Scholar
Edward_R_Murrow said:
Anywho, KOTOR 1 was pretty generic as far as locations go. Everything was a planet completely dominated by one geographic climate zone coupled with one plot subtheme. Yay!

Welcome to Star Wars.

-Pavlos-

Novice
Part three of our manly and entirely non-Freudian interview is up if you're interested in it.

Placing limitations on people often seems to drive creativity. If I gave you an area which consists of a single room, a small one at that, and told you to make an RPG out of it, what would you create?

Survival RPG. Kind of like the Count of Monte Cristo who spent the first half of the book in a small jail cell. The goal is to escape. You can communicate with prisoners in the surrounding cells via the Morse code, and you can also chat with guards and the warden, manipulating them if you can. I don't think it would be a challenge to make an interesting game out of this concept.

hiver

With just one spoon! MUAHAHAHAHAHA! -edit- and a lot of mad giggling in between.

Nice interview pavlos.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Edward_R_Murrow said:
skyway said:
Tatooine was ok mostly, though I don't remember Star Wars having dragons.

That was a fucking cockblock of epic proportions. You hear all this buildup about how tough a Crate Dragon...or whatever the fuck it was...is and then when you find one, you can't fight it. It could have spiced up KOTOR's incredibly boring encounters a bit, and given Bioware could, at one point in time, make some decent dragon fights, maybe it could have had potential. But no...you have it walk out on some mines. You don't even have a choice to Leeroy that giant sack of crap. Lame as all fucking hell!

That was my only memorable location, because my game always crashed there, so I uninstalled the turdburger and washed my hands of it.

cazsim83

Novice
Edward_R_Murrow said:
You don't even have a choice to Leeroy that giant sack of crap. Lame as all fucking hell.

BS - yes you could. If you approached the cave without getting the bankors or whateverTF those futuristic oxen were, The dragon would come out with Rwaaar and then the screen went dark and you got Game Over. Remember? Your character held his head like he had the worst fucking migraine of the century, it was pretty faget.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom