Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News MOAR Gothic 4 screenies

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Gothic 4: Arcania

<a href="http://games.tiscali.cz/news/news.asp?id=27453&r=top">Some website I can't read appears to have more screenshots for Gothic 4</a>¹. Unlike the earlier batch, they don't appear to be magazine scans either.
<br>
<br>
A cookie to anyone who can translate the site.
<br>
<br>
¹Outside chance they may be nothing new.
<br>
<br>
Spotted @ <a href="http://bluesnews.com">Blues News</a>

MetalCraze

Arcane
I don't care about kewl graphics - somebody really translate the site - they could say something about the actual gameplay.
I understand that language enough to make sense out of that but I'm a lazy bastard

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
The screens look good, especially that one with the dragon skeleton in the water.

skyway said:
I don't care about kewl graphics - somebody really translate the site - they could say something about the actual gameplay.
I understand that language enough to make sense out of that but I'm a lazy bastard
In the future, please remember that the rest of us are lazy bastards as well, and don't really want to take the few seconds needed to read your tiny text. That's just more work to do.

Gladi

Educated
skyway said:

Bright day
On the galaxie.name site which hosts the pictures, it says that the original pictures were 3000x2000, but that they resized them (who needs resoluton of 3000x2000?). The original artworks are avaible for download as the second link in the bolded text.

The map of the world is supposed to be as large as Gothic 3, game(play) should be more balanced.

Oh, the comment also says that the screenchots look a lot like screenshots from a TES game, than a Gothic gaem - something is going wrong.[/quote]

GeneralSamov

Prophet
Gladi said:
The map of the world is supposed to be as large as Gothic 3, game(play) should be more balanced.

Hah. If this is true then Spellbound can go suck cock. And to think they were all sweet and full of good intentions on the JW boards, like we will listen and try to cater as much as possible to the users here. Interestingly, a smaller, more varied world was one of the most expressed wishes.

bat_boro

Arcane
GeneralSamov said:
Gladi said:

Hah. If this is true then Spellbound can go suck cock. And to think they were all sweet and full of good intentions on the JW boards, like we will listen and try to cater as much as possible to the users here. Interestingly, a smaller, more varied world was one of the most expressed wishes.

Well, I think we shound't forget that it's the southern isles after all, and that in fact they're isles, and there's supposed to be some water between them.
That could be an explaination. I hope...

Suchy

Arcane
more varied? sure.
smaller? no way. ffs i just love it when i go 1000m and it's desert, then another 1000m and it's frozen, snowy landscape.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Suchy said:
more varied? sure.
smaller? no way. ffs i just love it when i go 1000m and it's desert, then another 1000m and it's frozen, snowy landscape.
What's so good about that? I was bored to death by necessity to cover huge areas of nothingness or speedtree fodders. Good thing there were lots of teleporter stones.
Both early Gothic games had perfect explorable areas/meaningful locations ratio. I could run around that world without irate mumbling.

Suchy

Arcane
The size is not a problem, but the areas of nothingness. I'm still waiting for a game that can go in pair with Betrayal at Krondor or Betrayal in Antara. Antara was a weak game, but the world size beats everything (except Daggerfall which was a feast of nothingness) and it wasn't boring. Simply getting from one city to another was a meaningful achievemnt - and on your way you went through a whole lot of villages/towns which were your main source of side quests.
The world in Gothic 1 was way too small for my taste. G2 was somewhat better, but still didn't feel big enough.

Suchy

Arcane
Yeah, me too... But it had furries o_O
Didn't stop me from finishing it twice though.

GeneralSamov

Prophet
Suchy said:
The world in Gothic 1 was way too small for my taste. G2 was somewhat better, but still didn't feel big enough.

Size isn't everything (contrarily to what Private would want us to believe). I can condone a huge world, if it has something to show, but the landscape in Gothic 3 was just dull for the better part of it. In Gothic I and II the world was smaller, true, but you could spend so much time exploring it inch by inch (and then climb a few stories uphill and repeat the process) that it made up for all of it. Do you still remember the cave with the shadow warriors and the dragon slicer in it in GII? Or the pyramids with the orc slayer? Now tell me: how many of such atmospheric locations could you find in Gothic 3? I believe the team just bited off more than they could chew, and the consequence was a bland world. Hell, I even enjoyed Morrowind's world better, for it rewarded exploreration more.

Now, if Spellbound thinks they can pull it off, fine, but I still have my thoughts about it. After all, they don't even have enough experience in the field (at least as far as the RPG branch goes) for me to justify my trust in them. Besides, if PB failed already (given they made already 2 games before, + the addon) before them, how are they supposed to do better (don't forget they're also going the fancy graphics route, which is just another ball and chain on their leg)?

I seriously hope I'm just being too much pessimistic, and that my pessimism proves to be unfounded in the end, but we'll see.

Suchy

Arcane
I didn't say that G3 was any good. It wasn't, though the world size was just right, but dull and empty. That's why I wrote about BaK and BiA as still unbeated games in this regards. To put it simply both games had really big worlds and there was always something to do, no senseless wandering killing things.
Journey from one town to another could take several hours and you did a dozen of side quests on your way.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom