Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mod News See Fallout 2 in Newfangled High Resolution

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Fallout 2

<a href="http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=42390">NMA</a> brings word of the <b><a href="http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=42386">Fallout 2 High Resolution Patch</a></b> from a young modder named Mash.
<br>
<blockquote>This is something I've been working on for the last several months. As the title suggests this program modifies fallout2.exe in memory for the purposes of increasing the visual resolution.
<br>
I'm calling this a test release as I haven't had the chance to play through the whole game as yet. But I don't think there are any game killing bugs.
<br>
I've been running the game at 1680x1050 for testing and I'd be interested to know how it runs at different resolutions.
<br>
It was made for Version 1.02d of the fallout2.exe and installation instructions are included in the zip.</blockquote>
<br>
Should make it easier to track down the last shuffling junkie when you go on your next New Reno massacre.
<br>
Grab the download <a href="http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/dload.php?action=file&file_id=1114">here</a> and view screenshots <a href="http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=42390">here</a>.
<br>

<br>
<i>Thanks to Cthulhugoat for the tip.</i>

Suchy

Arcane
Sweet, I haven't tried the unofficial expansion yet, coz I wanted to play it fullscreen on 16:10 monitor without having everything stretched. Now I can :)

fastpunk

Arbiter
This is great! I've been planning a playthrough of FO2 ever since the expansion was released. Any chance that there will be an FO1 patch like this? I mean both games practically run on the same tech...

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
This is awesome news, old low resolution 2d games really do look like crap on LCD's, no matter how good the art is it will always looks like a blurry upscaled mess.

The widescreen patch for torment gave that game a whole new lease of life for me.

Thrasher

Erudite
Well I hope he finishes it by scaling the tiny UI and text.

These widescreen mods are unplayable on anything smaller than a 32" screen.

DOS-fanboy

Novice
Hmmmm, this gives me another reason to go through the game. Any reason to pick it back up makes me happy.

I had used the resolution switcher/DX hook last year but it created a whole host of new problems that made me switch back to standard resolution. Looks like this one doesn't make that same mistake. Count me in.

Thrasher

Erudite
Occasionally Fatal said:
Thrasher said:

No theyre not....

Well for these old eyes they are unplayable. Pixel hunting x100 sucks.

Of course, if you're a graphics whore, then that's all that matters. :roll:

MetalCraze

Arcane
still don't get it. I play f.e. Tiberian Sun (where if you remember there's no up-scaling and buttons are very tiny) at 20" lcd at 1280x800 - and it looks ok.

arcanum's, fallout's and torment's interfaces and objects are huge compared to such RTS.

Thrasher said:
Occasionally Fatal said:
Thrasher said:

No theyre not....

omg you got me im such a graphics whore for not enjoying upscaled resolutions below 1024x768 on my 19 inch monitor. please. i dont know what kind of monitor youre using, but when you have an lcd, native resolution always always always looks the best by a huge amount, which for me, translates to easier pixel hunting because the pixels are the correct size and not distorted to look like something else. i played planescape torment in 1280x1024 with no regrets or eyestrain, while the stretched out fugly natural resolution gave me headaches after a couple hours.

i mean, i understand if youve got eye problems and a crt or something, but you should probably refrain from making sweeping generalizations when obviously a large number of people are loving this sort of work and im willing to bet approximately zero people here are playing on 32". anyways, im sorry, but your statement doesnt even make sense if you know how resolutions work, but hey, whatever.

Chefe

Erudite
You all want to know a secret?

I never played Fallout 2.

Thrasher

Erudite
Occasionally Fatal said:
Thrasher said:
Occasionally Fatal said:
Thrasher said:

No theyre not....

omg you got me im such a graphics whore for not enjoying upscaled resolutions below 1024x768 on my 19 inch monitor. please. i dont know what kind of monitor youre using, but when you have an lcd, native resolution always always always looks the best by a huge amount, which for me, translates to easier pixel hunting because the pixels are the correct size and not distorted to look like something else. i played planescape torment in 1280x1024 with no regrets or eyestrain, while the stretched out fugly natural resolution gave me headaches after a couple hours.

i mean, i understand if youve got eye problems and a crt or something, but you should probably refrain from making sweeping generalizations when obviously a large number of people are loving this sort of work and im willing to bet approximately zero people here are playing on 32". anyways, im sorry, but your statement doesnt even make sense if you know how resolutions work, but hey, whatever.

I know what works for my eyes, and these high resolution mods, that don't scale up the UI, and require harder pixel hunting and control because of smaller on-screen elements and smaller text suck. Period.

I'm talking real-life experience here, not a stupid "ooooooooh it looks pretty so it must be better". You''re talking like a graphics whore that ignores gameplay issues.

Thrasher

Erudite
Oh, good one, idiot.

Streched pixels are absolutely nothing compare to teeny tiny on screen, hard to click, and unreadable elements.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
nice work but serious bug when i entered Sierra Army Depot the game deposited me right next to the gun turret. I noticed the resolution screwed with my starting points, but it was pretty funny getting into a zone and get riddled with bullets. Wasn't gonna survive that in a leather jacket armour heh.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom