Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Sacred Pokes the Penguin

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Sacred

There's a Linux port on the way for action RPG <b><a href="http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS8241728278.html">Sacred</a></b>.
<br>
<blockquote>Linux Game Publishing has announced a Linux port of "Sacred Gold," an action role-playing game first published for Windows three years ago. The U.K.-based game publisher plans to ship the title in August of this year, priced at 27 GBP (~ $50).</blockquote>
<br>
Yep, $50 for a port of a 3 year old title that can be had on the PC for $10 (or less). Are Linux gamers that desperate? Have they finally run out of freeware puzzle games?

Micmu

Magister
Are Linux gamers that desperate?
Being a Linux fanboy, I would buy this one. Because I'm bored, don't like rebooting for games and I support Linux games in general. Unfortunately, I already bought original wintendo Sacred years ago and it bored and annoyed me to death.
I hope they'll stay in business enough time to port and publish more games for linux. I still have Loki's (R.I.P.) HoMM3 for Linux, UT2K4, NWN1 and Eschalon B1. Go Linux games!

MetalCraze

Arcane
funny thing you could run windows versions of all those games on Linux that is like 4 years old. with the good ol' wine of that time (was shipped with mandrake). they are all opengl games (except HoMM, but somehow it wasn't a problem)

WalterKinde

Scholar
Yes we are that desperate. :)
I am not too thrilled about this since about 2 yrs ago i bought Sacred Plus from go gamer for a paltry 14.95.
I raised this point about 50 bucks for a 9.95 game in a linux forum and was almost drawn and quartered i also pointed out the problem these guys have about porting old windows games to nix and not either releasing them at the same time or near to the release time as the windows version (X2 and X3, the sort of elite/elite 2/frontier:first encounters clone comes to mind) or doing some original fare and was shot down saying mac version of popular windows games get released later as well and it takes lots of money to develop original commercial linux considering the small (from a game publisher's p.o.v.) userbase.
Which means there can't be more/original commercial games on nix unless the userbase increases but the userbase can't increase unless there are more games. :D

vrok

Liturgist
WalterKinde said:
Which means there can't be more/original commercial games on nix unless the userbase increases but the userbase can't increase unless there are more games. :D
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=a ... inux&num=1

What's really missing after that is Blizzard. I fail to see why they won't go through the effort of porting their games to linux when they're already doing it for Mac OS X, but maybe they'll come around after Valve has shown the way.

Chefe

Erudite
People who use Linux don't pay for anything, so they have all this extra cash to throw around and waste on old overpriced games.

Licaon_Kter

Augur
Sacred tanked on Windows, who would want this on Linux since we have The Witcher and the rest running fine with WINE?

too bad that the good intentions of linuxgamepublishing meet these bad game choices

and another thing "plans to ship the title in August of this year" lulz... the X3 port should have been out in Aug 2007, now it's just at Closed Beta 9...wtf?!!?!

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
Licaon_Kter said:
Sacred tanked on Windows, who would want this on Linux since we have The Witcher and the rest running fine with WINE?

:shock: That is the most uninformed, factless bullshit that I have read here.

READ and LEARN

Published exclusively for PC in 2004, SACRED sold more than 1.8 million copies, making it one of the most successful Action RPG’s worldwide

1 of many, many sources:

http://www.consoledigest.com/sacred-2-fallen-angel-new-release-date-announced.html

If you have nothing worthwhile to say, better stay shut. :x

[EDIT]This is best proof for the decline of the Codex

Astromarine

Erudite
the way that brennus will jump to the defense of any german-made game in any thread in this forums is endearingly funny. OMG someone insulted der Vaterland GET HIM!

Shannow

Waster of Time
Astromarine said:
the way that brennus will jump to the defense of any german-made game in any thread in this forums is endearingly funny. OMG someone insulted der Vaterland GET HIM!
Yeah, listen to him defending Gothic and especially Piranha Bytes. He must be a German Hitler.

Tails

Arbiter
The price is to high - Sacred Gold for Windows cost £4.99, at Tux Games - £25.54. A bit better is with X3: Reunion (Windows: £15.00 Linux: £24.52) but even the oldest Indians don't know when they end Linux version. The price could go down if demand for Linux games was better. If they take example from id Software...

Fez

Erudite
Sacred seems to have been a success as far as sales go.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
And I imagine that if it had been a commercial failure, there wouldn't be an upcoming sequel.

Licaon_Kter

Augur
Sir_Brennus said:
Licaon_Kter said:

:shock: That is the most uninformed, factless bullshit that I have read here.
did i badly quote any marketing/sales figures? no

what i did was to express _my_ view regarding this game

i wasn't even curious to count the game sales as the game is uninteresting to me

yes this is the decline of the Codex, everybody started to have a opinion about what s/he likes or not

and talking about german games: "LGP please port Gothic 1/2/3" :D
@Sir_Brennus: there, made things good again, mmmkay?

and since when do the sales figures make a better game? how many copies did Oblivion sold ? 3-4-5 million?

looking at: Troika Games' Sales Figures
Arcanum managed to sell 234K units
The Temple of Elemental Evil sold 128K units
Bloodlines sold a paltry 72K units

1.6million is 8 / 12 / 20 times bigger than the sales figures for these Troika games.

can you say Sacred is 8/12/20 times better that these games?

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
"Opinion"? Whether a game tanked or not is more akin to a fact, I think. Of course, that's just my opinion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom