Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Mount and Blade gallops on to 0.952

Fez

Erudite
Tags: Armagan; Mount & Blade; TaleWorlds

Taleworld's <a href="http://taleworlds.net/">Mount & Blade</a> has had an update to version 0.952, with the aim of squashing bugs introduced in the previous main 0.950 update and improving performance. All part of the slow march towards that official retail release.
<br>
<br>
Armagan had little detail on the changes to add:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Many thanks for your kind feedback on the past two versions. We have been able to fix a number of bugs and improve the performance of the game. We hope that version 0.952 will be more stable and more fun to play. As usual, please let us know if there are any bugs so that we can try to fix them as soon as possible.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
If you want to know more then your best option is to try it for yourself. You can find a list of sites hosting both the small upgrade patch to apply to the previous versions and the new full installer for <a href="http://forums.taleworlds.net/index.php/topic,35650.0.html">download here</a>.
<br>
<br>
There have been a few reported changes to game elements such as troop trees, party skills, item modifiers, increases in PC army limits/leadership bonuses, save slots and rag dolls. An experimental update, despite it being a 'bugfix' on the face of it. If you've been following M&B for a while then you will know only too well that Armagan seems to enjoy letting the players find out for themselves everything he changed through playing it rather than post it all for them. If you are new to this or simply haven't tried the game yet then think of this as a medieval Pirates! but on horseback and with some RPG-style elements thrown in for good measure. It has some of the best real-time cavalry combat out there too.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Performance seems to have taken a big hit in this version. I've never really had any problems with lagging in previous versions, outside the occasional massive battle, but now I get them pretty regularly. My computer might not be up to standards, but this game shouldn't be too taxing.

Otherwise, the changes look good and the game is starting to actually look like Pirates! on horseback. Now they just need to do something about the (massively) cheating AI, tune the economy and party dynamics and they have a pretty good product.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
You have quite the witty repertoire when making these news posts, Fez. Juxtaposing the concept of a horse galloping with the gameplay of the game that consists of similar activities was a genius move. One can only marvel at your masterful handling of vocabulary. :salute:

So, is the game nearing release-worthy? Does it look like something you could pick up at a store?

Zomg

Arbiter
I can't believe I've gotten a third video game bender out of M&B. We're getting into Civilization and Pirates! territory here.

Al3xand3r

Novice
It's hardly the first time someone marks the similarities between this and Pirates! as it's the only game you can compare it to really.

Also,comments like "some of the best real-time cavalry combat out there" don't quite cut it as I don't think there's even any other game with real-time cavalry combat (aside from pure RTS)... The whole post sounds like you're really not into game but you feel you have to say a few good things about it in order to keep fans civil...

I would prefer to hear what you really think of it instead. Either that or nothing more than simply saying there's a new patch for it. I'm sure the codex readers already know what it's all about, there's another post about it on the front page anyway.

It's 7am and I've been working nonstop on my site for hours so I'm sorry if I misunderstood, it's just what it feels like at the moment :roll:

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I was up untill 6am last night playing the latest version. M&B used to be just about the superfun combat, but the newest release has so much happening and stuff to do that it's starting to feel like a complete game. If Taleworlds can fix the remaining bugs and fill in the few things that are still missing, M&B should be ready for release by autumn.

Wether it can reach the mainstream and sell well in stores I have no idea. The graphics are quite nice now IMHO, but they're obviously not as polished as in an AAA game, so graphics whores are likely to stay away.

Fez

Erudite
Kingston said:
You have quite the witty repertoire when making these news posts, Fez. Juxtaposing the concept of a horse galloping with the gameplay of the game that consists of similar activities was a genius move. One can only marvel at your masterful handling of vocabulary. :salute:

Redding is teh hard. It wasn't intended to be funny, more just the common description for the game I've seen here and agree with.

Kingston said:
So, is the game nearing release-worthy? Does it look like something you could pick up at a store?

Not right now it isn't. It still feels like early days yet.

It's 7am and I've been working nonstop on my site for hours so I'm sorry if I misunderstood, it's just what it feels like at the moment :roll:

Next time get the sleep first and then post.

Fez

Erudite
Spectacle said:
I was up untill 6am last night playing the latest version. M&B used to be just about the superfun combat, but the newest release has so much happening and stuff to do that it's starting to feel like a complete game. If Taleworlds can fix the remaining bugs and fill in the few things that are still missing, M&B should be ready for release by autumn.

Wether it can reach the mainstream and sell well in stores I have no idea. The graphics are quite nice now IMHO, but they're obviously not as polished as in an AAA game, so graphics whores are likely to stay away.

At least with Paradox people tend not to expect AAA graphics with all of their games. Should be interesting to see what he comes up with over the summer now he's got a deadline approaching.

Zomg

Arbiter
Al3xand3r said:
It's hardly the first time someone marks the similarities between this and Pirates! as it's the only game you can compare it to really.

I wasn't comparing the gameplay to Pirates! - I was just saying this is turning into one of those games that I keep playing, and playing, and playing. I have to make myself absolutely sick of M&B before I stop playing for a few months, then I get an update and I'm back chasing the dragon again.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
Fez said:
Kingston said:

Redding is teh hard. It wasn't intended to be funny, more just the common description for the game I've seen here and agree with.

I wasn't actually trying to be insulting, more like showing random affection.

):

Fez

Erudite
Kingston said:
I wasn't actually trying to be insulting, more like showing random affection.

):

Oh don't worry, Kingston. I didn't mean it to come across like that either.

dagorkan

Arbiter
Don't download this version, I received two CTD's in the half hour I tried playing it.

Kraszu

Prophet
dagorkan said:
Don't download this version, I received two CTD's in the half hour I tried playing it.

Works fine for me, my hardware is to old for that version whit bigger battles through.

HardCode

Erudite
There have been patches out, so now the latest version is 0.955. They've fixed a bunch of bugs, and it's quite stable now.

Chefe

Erudite
I've got my "good" computer up and running now, so I'm going to give this a try again. The last time I played M&B was almost two years ago.

Severian Silk

How are things on the RPG mod front? I need something a bit less impersonal than strategy mode.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom