Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Depths of Peril Chit Chat at RPS

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Depths of Peril

<a href="http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/?p=1937">Rock Paper Shotgun</a> had a chat with Steven Peeler about being an independent developer, the challenges of non-linear games, and the origins of <b><a href="http://www.soldak.com/Depths-of-Peril/Overview.html">Depths of Peril</a></b>.
<br>
<blockquote>RPS: Depths of Peril: It’s an obvious question to ask first, I know, but where did the idea of it come from? How long have you wanted to do something like this? Why did you decide it should be Soldak’s first game?
<br>
<br>
Steven: Well I’ve wanted to create an RPG for ages. Soldak’s first game simply had to be an RPG, because I had to make one. For any other upcoming developers I wouldn’t suggest making an RPG as your company’s first product however. They tend to be way more complicated than you realize. Of course, part of this was deciding not to make a simple clone. Even though I’ve wanted to make an RPG for ages, I didn’t think of some of the key things for Depths of Peril until shortly after I left Ritual. Exactly what RPG I have wanted to do changes depending on what exactly the circumstances are: like what engine is available, the game’s budget, what the distribution will be, etc. For example, not too long before I left Ritual I pitched an RPG that would have been very tense, as scary as possible, and first person. In other words, it would have been nothing like Depths of Peril.
<br>
<br>
I don’t think I even remember where all of the ideas came from for Depths of Peril. I just wanted something that was fundamentally different than other action RPGs. I didn’t want to create just another clone. I think I decided to add multiple factions fighting each other first and the dynamic world followed because it just made sense. I mean what happens if you have a static world and an enemy covenant goes and kills one of the bosses? It seemed to me that the world needed to be dynamic or I was going to have to make the covenant’s not really impact the world any. So like I said it just made sense.</blockquote>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/">Rock Paper Shotgun</A>

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom