Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News 7 Alpha Protocol Screens

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Alpha Protocol

The universe is working in mysterious ways and has aligned to make screenshot releases the in thing today. <a href="http://www.destructoid.com/e3-08-sega-blowout-alpha-protocol-95437.phtml">Here are seven Alpha Protocol ones</a>, along with some text:
<br>
<blockquote>Alpha Protocol will be skill -- rather than level -- based, letting you choose between close combat techniques, marksmanship, and gadget proficiency for Michael to focus in. The game’s title refers to some sort of weapon that the forces of evil are trying to utilize for their own nefarious ends. There’s no word on what that weapon actually does, though.</blockquote>
<br>
Uhhh... No, the game's title refers to the "Alpha Protocol" which is some sort of sekkrit "Imah spai thats bin thrown out but im doin mah job anyway" thing.
<br>
<br>
Spotted @ <a href="http://www.rpgdot.com">The original RPGwatch</a>.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
The forces of evil, I see.

Players will be able to choose how Michael completes his missions: by the book, going rogue and slaughtering everyone that gets in your way, or being a smart mouthed jackass to everyone you meet, which will determine how things ultimately turn out.
Look, I like Obsidian a little, but why must it always be "fight, sneak, talk"? I'm not saying I'm not happy to have that choice, but I wish developers would consider even more courses of action than that.

See, in Arcanum I often could, to enter a locked door:
- fight the guy with the key
- steal the key
- sneak past
- use magic
- use a distracting technological gadget
- talk, usually with multiple ways

Arcanum was really good...

Folks, I really don't know. NWN 2 was... well. I haven't played it so I wouldn't know, but from I heard and read. I, right now, just can't imagine how this game will be a good RPG. Is it becoming more of a hybrid, like Deus Ex? Also everything seems so... tacky.

doctor_kaz

Scholar
This is such an awesome concept, but I don't have much faith in Obsidian to pull it off successfully.

SpaceKungFuMan

Scholar
Jasede said:
The forces of evil, I see.

Players will be able to choose how Michael completes his missions: by the book, going rogue and slaughtering everyone that gets in your way, or being a smart mouthed jackass to everyone you meet, which will determine how things ultimately turn out.
Look, I like Obsidian a little, but why must it always be "fight, sneak, talk"? I'm not saying I'm not happy to have that choice, but I wish developers would consider even more courses of action than that.

See, in Arcanum I often could, to enter a locked door:
- fight the guy with the key
- steal the key
- sneak past
- use magic
- use a distracting technological gadget
- talk, usually with multiple ways

Arcanum was really good...

Folks, I really don't know. NWN 2 was... well. I haven't played it so I wouldn't know, but from I heard and read. I, right now, just can't imagine how this game will be a good RPG. Is it becoming more of a hybrid, like Deus Ex? Also everything seems so... tacky.

You're really criticizing them for not taking C&C to the next level in a game being published by SEGA? As long as the game has good writing, characters, and actually gives those "paltry" 3 options for most of the game I'll be happy. I mean, very few games in the "developed for console and PC simultaneously" space even come close to having multiple robust question paths. I'd love to see Obsidian do something as good as Arcanum, but I'm not expecting it on SEGA's dime or with a goddamned 360 controller.

Texas Red

Whiner
In Arcanum you could steal the money and items to buy stuff, so you could kill some big monster you couldn't before. The player wanted to advance in levels and power in order to complete quests and unlock new areas. This probably won't be the case with AP and it hubs. You will be always on the specified path on always the correct level ala every game made by Obsidian and Bioware.

I don't bloody well get it. The Arcanum/FO formula is perfect. You were driven constantly to improve your character. The peak with hit a decade ago and through some wild mix up everything declined. Is it really that hard to understand that a gamer wants to be challenged, to make decision and fight tough monsters?

Pegultagol

Erudite
The game’s title refers to some sort of weapon that the forces of evil are trying to utilize for their own nefarious ends. There’s no word on what that weapon actually does, though.

Like as in... Mass Effect?

Chefe

Erudite
Doomsday device

Also, forces of evil? lol

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom