Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dungeon Hero first impressions over at destructoid

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Dungeon Hero

<a href="http://www.destructoid.com/first-jimpressions-of-dungeon-hero-and-a-fireside-chat-with-firefly-95133.phtml">Destructoid have a first impression up</a> of Firefly's under-development Dungeon Hero. Here's a bit on how they'll be creating their in-depth world:
<br>
<blockquote>Firefly intends to create an atmosphere that feels alive, and even though it's only in the early stages, we got to see some examples of the team's ambition. As our hero walked through the trenches, we saw Goblins playing on guitars, doctors sawing off limbs and generals planning their next move. Simon promised that the trenches would be even more alive in the future, as goblins run past on stretchers and have conversations. Of course, the games industry is full of promises and claims of "we will have this and this and this," so I took an opportunity to sit down with Simon and chat to him about how Firefly is going to live up to its ambitions.
<br>
<br>
"We're using very simple methods," answered Simon when grilled and accused of dirty lies. "We're not looking to introduce some advanced AI. A lot of the groundwork has already been done in previous games like Stronghold, where you click on a guy and he follows his own set path and does his thing."
<br>
<br>
So, rather than actually create a super-duper, AI-led, living and breathing world, is it more about creating illusions, adding a lot of activity to make things seem more alive than they are?
<br>
<br>
"Exactly. Everything has its set path, and moves between those points, but there's going to be a lot going on."</blockquote>
<br>
Be sure to check the rest for a run-down on the combat.

TheMany

Novice
Good article. Little hype. Looking forward to a game with character.

Korgan

Arbiter
So, rather than actually create a super-duper, AI-led, living and breathing world, is it more about creating illusions, adding a lot of activity to make things seem more alive than they are?

"Exactly. Everything has its set path, and moves between those points, but there's going to be a lot going on."
Sounds like a simulation of Bestheda's game development process.

Chefe

Erudite
At least they're honest about it.

This game looks good.

SpaceKungFuMan

Scholar
I'm actually pretty excited about this game from what I'm seeing. The idea of an internally consistent world is something I'm really big on. I'd love it if monsters only drop loot they're using or could reasonable have, like a small amount of coins of food. That alone is enough to make it stand out int he crowd, until Diablo 3 hits.

cardtrick

Arbiter
They're definitely saying all the right things about this game. This seems fun, and I've been in love with goblins since Arx Fatalis.

Murk

Arcane
I can definitely see this going the way of Fable, but I do so hope it comes out as intended.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
They still seem to stay grounded on earth unlike Molyneux who promises you everything plus the kitchen sink. I guess it is worth keeping an eye on those guys.

"Exactly. Everything has its set path, and moves between those points, but there's going to be a lot going on."

WIMPS!

Azarkon

Arcane
Actually, that's pretty much the state of AI technology, so you can't blame them for failing to do more than the best-paid researchers in the world.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
So is this news item better than the one I was going to post:
  • During the walkthrough, we were shown some combat against bipedal rats, enemy goblins and an early boss monster. With combat so simplistic, one might wonder where the depth went. I asked how they replaced the depth of combos with the depth of the fight as a whole.

"In a lot of circumstances, there will be spawn points that you have to close. You can't keep fighting in one spot forever, since some goblins will break through your defenses, you'll take some sneak hits, and eventually die," I was informed. "Most of the combat is against swarms, so you have to work out where you want to go in a fight and battle your way through it. You can say, 'right, I have to go over there to close that point, so I need to fight through to there.' It's a very strategic approach."
Very strategic indeed. Oblivion Gates anyone?

Shoelip

Arbiter
Oblivion gates weren't spawn points they were area transitions. If anything you should be complaining that the game is too much like Gauntlet or something.

SpaceKungFuMan

Scholar
DarkUnderlord said:
So is this news item better than the one I was going to post:
  • During the walkthrough, we were shown some combat against bipedal rats, enemy goblins and an early boss monster. With combat so simplistic, one might wonder where the depth went. I asked how they replaced the depth of combos with the depth of the fight as a whole.

"In a lot of circumstances, there will be spawn points that you have to close. You can't keep fighting in one spot forever, since some goblins will break through your defenses, you'll take some sneak hits, and eventually die," I was informed. "Most of the combat is against swarms, so you have to work out where you want to go in a fight and battle your way through it. You can say, 'right, I have to go over there to close that point, so I need to fight through to there.' It's a very strategic approach."
Very strategic indeed. Oblivion Gates anyone?

Yes, I think the post you went with is better. The article was basically a good read that we all seem to have enjoyed, so the more positive (or at least neutral) lead in seems more appropriate. Also to be fair, destroying spawn points has been a staple in the Diablo style ARPG genre since gauntlet, which hardly makes what they're doing innovative, but also doesn't really invite something as harsh as an Oblivion reference. The same way we shouldn't toss dumbfuck around to avoid stripping the tag of meaning, IMO we should really save bethesda/oblivion references for games that REALLY deserve it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom