Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Fallout 3 perk details, dodgy animations

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Fallout 3

<a href="http://warriornation.net/Forum/showthread.php?t=439097">WarriorNation have revealed details on some of the perks you'll find in Fallout 3:</a>
<br>
<ul><li>Daddy's Boy: Gains an additional 5 points in science and medicine skills.
<br>
<li>Gun Nut: Obsessed with guns; an additional 5 points to the small guns skills and repair skills
<br>
<li>Intense Training: Add a single point to any of your S.P.E.C.I.A.L. attributes
<br>
<li>Lady Killer: 10% damage against female opponents, plus unique dialogue with them as well
<br>
<li>Little Leaguer: 5 points of melee weapons and 5 points of explosives skill
<br>
<li>Swift Learner: 10% in total experience points
<br>
<li>Thief: With each rank of Thief Perk you gain an immediate 5 point bonus to sneak and lock-pick</ul>
<br>
News Posting +5 points. <a href="http://www.dose.ca/games/story.html?id=e6d65350-bd39-4c21-baea-3caf649b50ef">Dose.ca have this to day</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>We couldn't find much to gripe about, especially with so little time playing the game, but one thing that stuck out was the slightly clunky-looking movement of enemies. We squared off against a bunch of "Raiders" and a couple of "Slavers" and all of them loped around rather unrealistically. Maybe it's all the radiation floating around, but they all seemed too fast for humans and bounced about as though they weighed less than a Post-It. If I'm going to be blasting away at these for 100+ hours, I don't want that bugging me the whole time.
<br>
<br>
Should You Count the Days? Oh my God, yes! Sprawling, action packed, moody, humourous and face-explodingly violent, Fallout 3 will easily vie for Game of the Year honours in 2008. Thankfully it's set for an October 7 release, meaning the several months you'll be indoors playing it and eschewing contact with friends, family and your job, will be all the ones with bad weather.</blockquote>
<br>
... <a href="http://www.gamepro.fr/">and there's another scathing preview from the French</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>Our Vault Dweller does not run, he walks as stiff as a piece of wood. A rigid animation which caracterizes a game which, technically, appeared as rather deceiving. The level of details of the textures clearly reminded us of Oblivion, a trip into the past since much better looking things have been released since. Impossible also not to think of the deception the Fallout fans will feel when they get out of the Vault. They, who will discover a game the general appearance of which has nothing in common with the first two episodes and who will have to adhere to this new vision of the nuclear apocalypse which has more to do with a hesitating cybernetism à la Mad Max. They also who won't be able to ignore so much aliasing and these slavering textures. However, even though Fallout 3 looks rather ugly, you only have to get away from the screen a little bit to seize this impression of greatness and this isolated look on the desolated world which surrounds you. Deception then is partially replaced by a sense of ambition. And what if Fallout 3 under its maybe deceiving appearance really offered the great libertarian, incredibly immersive and open adventure it has always promised?</blockquote>
<br>
If you want to read all the nice previews, <a href="http://bethblog.com/">go here</a> (where you can also see the first of the new <a href="http://fallout.bethsoft.com/eng/vault/pennyarcade-1.html">Bethesda Penny Arcade promo comics</a>, once you get passed the stupid age question).
<br>
<br>
Spotted @ <a href="http://www.nma-fallout.com">NMA</a>

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Penny Arcade does Promos for any shit these days. That doesn't make them bad, though. The D&D Podcast was really fun.
I suppose not taking anything seriously is the most healthy attitude.

Zeros

Novice
What's the point of having so many perks that add into your skills? Don't you, I dunno, get skillpoints to add on each level up ?

Sure FO had some, but not many.

Oh wait, this is Bethesda designing perks. Move along then.

J1M

Arcane
Zeros said:
What's the point of having so many perks that add into your skills? Don't you, I dunno, get skillpoints to add on each level up ?

Sure FO had some, but not many.

Oh wait, this is Bethesda designing perks. Move along then.
Because adding to skills is boring. Getting perks is fun! Therefore, according to Bethesda all of their new perks which add to skills are boring. Oops?

Seboss

Liturgist
Someone should tell the French translator that "déception" translates into "disappointment" and not "deception". Same with "décevoir" and "deceiving" (=> "disappoint").

Ok, I'll stop being an ass now.

So, according to this list of perks, it seems they will be as interesting as the birthsigns of Oblivion, i.e totally useless beyond level 3. Great.
Fortunately, we'll have 20 of them by the end of the game (or more, if some books or quests reward you with a perk) :roll:

Micmu

Magister
As predicted, absolutely nothing remained from SPECIAL except primary attrib. names. YAY! It's just "special" now. Like "special" people.

Seboss

Liturgist
Which constitute the primary target audience, so it's all pretty consistent.

Gold

Augur
Patron
Dead State Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
So instead of perks being fun and exciting to get every 3 levels, we now get perks every level and they suck....

And I would expect you will get levels in the amount similar to Oblivion and not Fallout 2. So look forward to 60 shitty perks.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Gold said:
And I would expect you will get levels in the amount similar to Oblivion and not Fallout 2. So look forward to 60 shitty perks.
Why do you say that after the issue has be discussed dozens of times and anyone who paid attention knows that the level cap will be twenty?

Do you want to make the Codex look stupid?

Gold

Augur
Patron
Dead State Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Then excuse me, I don't have time to follow up on all the stupidity about a game I won't ever play.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Darth Roxor said:
Research first, yapping second.
That is not in the Codex' codex of behavior. All that is required to post here is a registration.
Some frothing at the mouth also helps.

OT: Perks mostly boring or stupid, who'd have thought?

Thrasher

Erudite
Seboss said:
seems they will be as interesting as the birthsigns of Oblivion, i.e totally useless beyond level 3.

Wrong. Actually there are a few good oblivion birthsign picks for the longterm. Yes I admit playing it a long time. :roll:

Murk

Arcane
traits are perks, perks are skills, skills are pointless as its all real time fps twitchy twitchy twitch

what scares me is i'll probably still have some fun if i ever buy the game

which i won't >;(

aries202

Erudite
Just to maybe do the obvious here. But why are getting better at science and medicine called 'daddy's boy'? Isn't this sort -ehm- saying that (most) women aren't capable of science and medicine... (ducks hastily)

I iknow this is only a game, and I've thought that maybe this ties neatly in with the more common pre-sumption in the 1950's that boys and dads are better at science than girls and moms...

And is there a reason that 'gun nut' also gives you 5+ points to your repair skill??

Mister Arkham

Scholar
aries202 said:
And is there a reason that 'gun nut' also gives you 5+ points to your repair skill??

I'd assume that the weapon degradation in the game is the only thing that you'll ever have to repair (since identifying and fixing possibly useful in-world objects = non-linear thinking = boring and UB3r L4M3!!!1), so it makes sense in a shameful, moronic sort of way.

Uz0rnaem

Scholar
aries202 said:
Just to maybe do the obvious here. But why are getting better at science and medicine called 'daddy's boy'? Isn't this sort -ehm- saying that (most) women aren't capable of science and medicine... (ducks hastily)
Makes sense in context, I guess. The player character's father really is a scientist.

Zeros

Novice
aries202 said:

I iknow this is only a game, and I've thought that maybe this ties neatly in with the more common pre-sumption in the 1950's that boys and dads are better at science than girls and moms...

The first, it's because Liam Neeson is a scientist.

And gun nuts tend to know the ins and outs of guns, how to disarm them and stuff, so it does make some sense.

Hey wait, am I even trying to explain bethesda? Crap.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom