Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Deus Ex 3 confirmed

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: Ion Storm; Warren Spector

Yes, that's right, Deus Ex <b>3</b>. <a href=http://www.computerandvideogames.com>C&VG</a> reports that <b>Warren Spector</b> has <a href=http://www.computerandvideogames.com/r/?page=http://www.computerandvideogames.com/news/news_story.php?id=98298>confirmed</a> an eventual third installment in the dark conspiracy sci-fi first person action RPG series.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>"We've already stared thinking about the third game in the series," Spector told us; and while he was saying little else about this third in the FPS-cum-RPG series of a cyberpunk persuasion, he did hint that, not surprisingly, the plot of number three would in some way be tied in with first title and imminent sequel.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
No word yet on the future of Ultima Underworld.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at <a href="http://www.bluesnews.com">Blues News</a>

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Im more interested in the immediate future of DX (Invisible War) than DX3. Though i must admit, the prospect of a future Ultima Underworld, or even *gasp* System Shock 3, interest me much more.

Whipporowill

Erudite
The way DX seems to have gone, I'm growing less and less interested. And with the current trend of screwing up existing franchises (UX, Bard's Tale, FOBOS) I'd say let sleeping dogs lie.

Voss

Erudite
Gods. Can't he even find out if the 2nd one flops or not before hyping the crap out of #3? Starting this early is going to ensure that no one is going to care when it finally rolls around.

ecliptic

Liturgist
I'm definitely worried about the 'improvements' they made to the second one. Particularly if I remember correctly Spector said that he was taking a hands off approach and letting the DX2 people do their thing, then he inexplicably jumped in and took over. Which makes one wonder if the project is going to be horribly fractured vision-wise. I'm glad he did jump in though, as the creative director that was working on the game before Spector took an active role gave some frightful interviews talking about the removal of skill points and some other changes streamlining it more into a generic FPS.

Speaking of FPS, I can't wait until Nitro Family comes out. That game looks great.
http://www.nitrofamily.com/

Amerestatistic

Liturgist
I'm pretty sure the same guy (Harvey Smith) has always been creative directer. And the improvements are still there, Warren didn't step in and remove them. I could understand the concern that removing skills makes the game a generic FPS if they weren't replacing the skill system with the Biomod system. As well, players should actually have significant choices (supporting one of 4 organizations, and it's been implied that one can be aligned with none of them and still succeed), there should be less choke points (like being forced to leave UNATCO), they've been successful at making it so you can play the game without picking up any weapons, blindtesting has revealed that no one has had any problems with the controversial HUD etc.

Do these really not sound like improvements?

Personally I was hoping IS would start working on something new instead of a sequel. I hope the Thief 3 team at least works on something new.

Shevek

Arcane
Here is a telling quote from an interview I read a while back (http://pc.ign.com/articles/386/386515p1.html?fromint=1):

"Maybe it doesn't always match Warren's taste and that's probably where that comment comes from. He's more story, we're probably pulling back a little and adding more visceral interactions to the game"

I just hope Smith keeps his mitts off of part 3. His need to "streamline" and "add more visceral interactions" is maddening. To the above guy: the passive biomods do not alter your skill with weapondry as before with skills. Running around getting powerups as opposed to getting experience for completeing objectives makes the experience less like an RPG and more like Metroid. Gone is seeing your characters getting incremementally better and developing his skills and now he gets spiffy new "powers" with every upgrade (be it for yourself or your weapon). This is just titillation its not evolution. Other things, such as combining lockpicking and electronics hacking is also quite telling of the turn the series has taken. Everything from dumbing down the RPG systems and focusing more on action to dumbing down even core system elements like the ammo and inventory systems puts me on edge. I saw the game at E3 and was somewhat distressed to find that things looked, in a way, more anime-ish (I dont necessarily have anything against anime but the original game looked more like the imagery the more serious hard sci I have read evoked than the japanese cartoons they sometimes play on cable). Heres to hoping we get some good news about part 3.

Amerestatistic

Liturgist
To the above guy: the passive biomods do not alter your skill with weapondry, as before with skills.Running around getting powerups as opposed to getting experience for completeing objectives makes the experience less like an RPG and more like Metroid.

You are correct, they do not. It's because DXIW isn't an RPG, regardless of what some of the developers might think, and regardless of what some fans think. I didn't really consider the first game to be an RPG either, not in what I think is the traditional sense of the term, at least. RPG elements tacked on to a game that's primarily about player skill, nonlinear problem solving using your own abilities and not the abilities of the character you've created, and experimentation doesn't add more depth.

Using words like "powerups" to describe the biomods, or comparing the gameplay to something like Metroid seems to indicate that you simply aren't particular fond of non-rpgs, or at least require your non-rpgs to have RPG elements, however minor. Would this be right?

focusing more on action

How so? Unless you mean action in a broad sense, and you might be considering your problems with the changes seem to flow from the fact that you either consider DX to be an RPG or wish it was more like an RPG, this doesn't seem consistent with most information available about the game. For a long time action (in the bang bang shoot shoot sense) was barely emphasised, and mostly what we heard about was stealth and non-violent problem solving. Only recently have they started talking about the combat AI etc. The fact that they went out of their way, and succeeded it seems, to design it so you can play without picking up a single weapon also would seem to contradict your comment. I have to wonder if you think this is merely a gimmick because it is a feature of a non-rpg?

As for other things like the ammo unification (which is more complex than people seem to think) and other controversial moves, I guess we'll have to wait a few more weeks to see how those actually work out.

I saw the game at E3 and was somewhat distressed to find that things looked, in a way, more anime-ish

Agreed. Actually they brought in an artist who normally works on comics, but I don't think they ever released the name. Not sure if he's known for having a mangaesque-style or what but others have noted this as well.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Shevek said:
Gone is seeing your characters getting incremementally better and developing his skills and now he gets spiffy new "powers" with every upgrade (be it for yourself or your weapon).

Every augmentation in DX1 already had different functions or increased effectiveness. You have the example of the Cloak and Radar Transparency, or even Vision Enhancement.

And i honestly can't see how the idea of adding new functions to weapons is bad.

Everything from dumbing down the RPG systems and focusing more on action to dumbing down even core system elements like the ammo and inventory systems puts me on edge.

An "RPG" system that not only failed at actually making the game more or less of an RPG, but was also very unballanced. Not only that, simply because inventory items will only occupy one slot each doesn't mean you don't have to make choices regarding inventory management.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom