Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Space Siege's atmosphere is lacking

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Space Siege

<a href="http://au.pc.ign.com/articles/896/896365p1.html">According to IGN, who have a preview up of Space Siege</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>If I had one complaint about the Dungeon Siege games it's that they were a bit too automated for their own good; you didn't feel much interaction since the game took care of combat through auto-attacks. That's something that's been rectified with Space Siege, as much of it feels like an action game that requires you to input attack commands manually. Left clicking the mouse will cause you to move, while right clicking the mouse will attack a target. The tricky part is getting used to the camera, which is controlled by the W, A, S, and D keys. A and D rotate the camera, while W and S zoom in or out. This is the kind of game where you always want to move the camera around to better see the action.
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
With that said, there's a lot that also seems a bit underwhelming about Space Siege. The story and the characterizations lack the mystery or the delivery of something like BioShock, a game that captured the sensation of being in a spooky environment effectively. Space Siege lacks that kind of atmosphere, and the setting of a spaceship in deep space seems wasted. Where there should be darkness and flickering lights and dark shapes lurking in every corner, there's basically another moderately lit room or corridor.</blockquote>
<br>
Looking on the bright side, at least they didn't follow the path of Doom 3 and force a flashlight on you. On the whole, they found it "more engaging than Dungeon Siege" which now that I think about it, probably isn't saying much.
<br>
<br>
Spotted @ <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com">Because no matter how hard I try, there's always something here the others have missed. The only downside is you often have to dig for it</a>.

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
The flashlight in Doom 3 wasn't so bad as the fact that you have to switch it in and out instead of having it duct taped to your gun.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Or duct-tape a flashlight to your helmet, plus a shoulder lamp. Why not just cover your entire body with flashlights? Maybe it will blind the enemies.

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
Mighty Mouse said:
Or duct-tape a flashlight to your helmet, plus a shoulder lamp. Why not just cover your entire body with flashlights? Maybe it will blind the enemies.

Didn't Bethesda try this with their BloomTech™?

LCJr.

Erudite
Newsday was a little slow on that Depths of Peril review to say the least.

I admit to being too lazy to read an article about a game I have no interest in. So for those of you that did, is Uwe Boll going to be directing the Space Siege movie?

Anything is more engaging than dungeon siege. That's not an accomplishment. I start to fall asleep even at the mention of dungeon siege. *yawn*

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom