Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview IncGamers lose ink on Fallout 3

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Fallout 3

A site called <b>IncGamers</b> have managed to score an <a href="http://www.incgamers.com/Games/1341/interviews/140/INTERVIEW-Fallout-3">interview</a> with Pete Hines. After some initial confusion regarding loading times and sandboxiness of the game, we have the following:<blockquote><b>So talk to us about the place it was set...Washington D.C., the capitol of the United States. How true is the area and maps to the real Washington D.C.? And how big, as a sandbox, is it in kilometers, miles? </b>
<br>
<br>
It is based on the real D.C., it is accurate to the actual topography of the area in and around D.C. We haven't actually measured how big it is, so I'm not sure how many kilometers it is. What we actually did was compress the scale and space between locations so that not only does it include a portion of Washington D.C., but you can go out and explore Maryland and Virginia and the suburbs and wasteland outside of D.C. Compressing that space allows us to get you between distances that would normally be far too far to walk or explore in a game. You can spend, literally, almost a hundred hours just exploring.</blockquote>You'd think a journalist would know the difference between a capital and the Capitol. And I don't get what Pete's trying to imply here. Since distances between places are decreased, people will be able to spend <i>more</i> time exploring?
<br>
<br>
Another one:
<br>
<blockquote><b>So how are you recognised as a good or bad person? Is it a physical attribute, or is it more of an AI thing?</b>
<br>
<br>
That's really an AI thing. There is no guard system, there is no police system, basically you alert the opposing team when you kill someone or steal something.</blockquote>In other words, it's no use hiding before you steal something. Bethesda: teaching children honesty since 2008.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.bluesnews.com">Blue's News</A>

Shannow

Waster of Time
And I don't get what Pete's trying to imply here. Since distances between places are decreased, people will be able to spend more time exploring?
Well, to be fair (yep, I said the "f" word) Pete isn't implying anything. If distances were left at normal levels the game'd be far too big. You can still spend lots of time exploring.
Making a huge area smaller doesn't make it "small". Of course, he might still be full of shit and the gameworld might feel/be smaller than he is admitting.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
And I don't get what Pete's trying to imply here. Since distances between places are decreased, people will be able to spend more time exploring?

You spend far less time travelling empty wastelands and more time exploring locations I guess. Maybe the gameworld will have Oblivion's exciting dungeon placements.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom