Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review GameSpot hates Dungeon Siege expansion!

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: Dungeon Siege: Legends of Aranna

<a href="http://www.gamespot.com/pc">Gamespot PC</a> have put up their <a href=http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/dungeonsiegelegendsofaranna/review.html>review</a> of the <a href=http://www.dungeonsiege.com>Dungeon Siege expansion</a> that's all over the Internet right now. They hated it and Legends of Aranna gets a <b>5.4 out of 10</b> and a rating of <b>mediocre</b> from GameSpot.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Some of the grumbling about Dungeon Siege stemmed from the fact that, while it's hardly a bad game, it is one that can get old quickly, depending on how much control you hand over to the AI. Since the AI handles most of the combat, by default, it's easy to feel like you're not doing much...in terms of actually doing anything. It didn't help that the levels were designed in a way that limited any sense of exploration or adventure, as most of them were just narrow, linear paths that you couldn't stray from. In essence, Dungeon Siege basically felt like the rail shooter of Diablo clones, with the added disadvantage that you weren't really doing anything besides watching your characters do all the cool stuff while you were left to smash ton of crates. And we mean a ton of them!</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
So then why did you give the original game <a href=http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/dungeonsiege/index.html>an 8.4</a>? Well, at least they had the guts to admit that the expansion sucks.

Voss

Erudite
Its one of those things where they're going to say either:

a) a different person wrote the review, and the organization as a whole isn't responible for their opinions.

or

b) they were swept away by the hype and initial enthusiasm, but realized later that it wasn't as good as their initial 5 minute impression. But of course they can't be upfront and honest, and admit it, so they just gloss it over instead.

Whipporowill

Erudite
Well... the original DS was a lot more spectacular when it came out. I remember actually stopping to look at the scenery - which incidentally happens with Gothic2. I also had a blast with the multiplayer map and a friend, but the sp experience gets old fast. What were they thinking?

slavemaster

Novice
Not hell, but you can smell it from down the stree
Whipporowill said:
Well... the original DS was a lot more spectacular when it came out. I remember actually stopping to look at the scenery - which incidentally happens with Gothic2. I also had a blast with the multiplayer map and a friend, but the sp experience gets old fast. What were they thinking?

My bet is that the "professional gaming media" completes the game only once (if that) in a day and a half or so, and then write up the review immediately. Since most of them are so professional I'd wager that by the time they finish the game the first time they're still in the "omg omg kewl" mindset.

Jed

Cipher
triCritical said:
Maybe Gamespot is looking for some credability, or one of us bums got a job reviewing for their website.
I think we already know what happens to critical thinking when a paycheck and free review copies of games get in the mix.

Spazmo

Erudite
Are you trying to get another victory picture?

Bottom line, DS sucks, GS sucks a little less for recognising it.

Whipporowill

Erudite
Well. DS is ok in my book, but not as an rpg. And it's as they say LOA has a lot worse level design to be sure... the extra map that GPG made after a few months for the original was more creative than this stuff. Blaurgh

Still I'm playing it. Someone shoot me. :oops:

suibhne

Erudite
Whipporowill said:

In every meaningful sense I can imagine, you seem to be doing a good job of that yourself. :lol:

It's amusing that GS tanks this game for sucking slightly more than the first one, in the exact same manner as the first one. Really shows how arbitrary some of these review shops can be.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Whipporowill said:
Well. DS is ok in my book, but not as an rpg. And it's as they say LOA has a lot worse level design to be sure... the extra map that GPG made after a few months for the original was more creative than this stuff. Blaurgh

When someone likes a game that I think truly sucks, it's no big deal. We ALL have different tastes and are gonna like different things. You like DS. That's cool. More power to you.

What gets me is when some drooling fanboy decides they're gonna make it their life goal to continually spout praises about the game and remind me continually why I should like it as well.

So, until you start doing that, I will save my ammo. :)

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Yeah, for me. :cool:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom