Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Deus Ex 3 is an RPG, 'cause Eidos said so, so there!

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Deus Ex: Human Revolution; Eidos Montreal

<a href="http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/41961/Deus-Ex-3-First-Details-Make-Me-Sad">According to VE3d IGN, Deus Ex 3 is going to happen as follows</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>Deus Ex 3 is indeed an RPG. It's a hybrid action/RPG just like the first game. There is a skill system where you upgrade your character (Adam) based off experience points you earn and you can do the same thing with weapons. It's a game with a very detailed plot with numerous characters you interact with. The gameplay takes the form of a consequence-driven multi-path, multi-solution approach in a non-linear space.</blockquote>
<br>
They intend to do this with a "powerful" and "layered" plot. Oh and they intend to <a href="http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/41961/Deus-Ex-3-First-Details-Make-Me-Sad">please newcomers with lots of stupidity too</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>This said, they are doing their utmost to please newcomers as well as existing fans. Perhaps controversially this time around combat won't be influenced by stats, but will rely purely on your personal marksmanship skills. Instead stats will influence "a vast array of fully upgradeable and customisable weapons", and you'll be able to tailor your arsenal to your play style with mag upgrades, scopes and other add-ons.
<br>

<br>
What's more, stealth will now rely on a cover system rather than shadows, and damage will be dealt with by a very Call of Duty-style auto-heal. There's probably going to be some debate over those two.</blockquote>
<br>
I played Doom the RPG the other day. I upgraded my shotgun into a double-barelled shotgun. I like RPGs that give you choices like that so you can fully customise your character. <a href="http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=198546">Read more about it at CVG</a>.
<br>

<br>
Spotted @ <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com">GameBanshee</a>

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
Augmentations have been bumped up and sound fantastic. 20 have been promised for the final game, ranging from 'bungee jump' tentacles that shoot from your back and anchor to a wall when you jump off a building, and the ability to punch through walls to grab enemies in neighbouring rooms.

Cool. But, err, how comes prequel has more advanced technology than later games?

This does not sound very promising *sigh*. What saddens me the most is their acknowledgment that Invisible War was wrong and then statement that the [one and only?] mistake of universal ammo won't be repeated. Talking about priorities here..

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
baby arm said:
This has nothing to do with your actual point, but there really is a Doom RPG.
DOOM RPG IS NOT AN RPG. Silly baby arm. Doom RPG is an RPG because EA said so.

Alistus

Novice
While i don't like the fact that there won't be any combat skills affecting combat, the way combat skills were handled in deus ex wasn't so good.. I mean that people don't just magicaly start doing more damage with same assault riffle and ammo when they have new dot in riffles. That's was just stupid imo. I liked that accuracy increased with more experience spent on skills, but then again having shot with numerous weapons including assault riffle and rocket launcher i don't think i never got any level ups that increased my accuracy from the point i actualy mastered the whole shooting thing :P. It would be cool if combat skills affected what kind of weapons you could use.

Theoretically you could 'hide' an almost identical system to the first game by making upgrades at least partially based on exp OR hard-to-get-components that are found as rewards for exploration and inventiveness like exp in the first game (basically exp with a graphic), and then putting the full range of weapon-ability-increase into the weapon-upgrades, with pistol upgrades being transferrable amongst pistols, rifles being transferrable among rifles etc. Would actually be a much more plausible way of having the exact same character development curve as the first.

Re: Deus Ex 3 is an RPG, 'cause Eidos said so

Had it not been EA, this:
DarkUnderlord said:
The gameplay takes the form of a consequence-driven multi-path, multi-solution approach in a non-linear space.

Would actually sound promising.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
That is very disappointing. I was hoping for Deus Ex 3 to be a shooter, like the original game was.

FalloutBR

Educated
Maybe they had the idea from the Gears of War ARPG, you know, where you use your cover-based stealh system. Heck, it even has a party system where you have 3 squadmates tag along...

doctor_kaz

Scholar
I like how they say they aren't going to repeat the same mistakes as Invisible War, but then put in a regenerating health system.

Divinity: Original Sin
The doom RPG:

new_classic_doom_weap_rl.gif

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
baby arm said:
This has nothing to do with your actual point, but there really is a Doom RPG. And a Doom Roguelike. Just thought you'd like to know. In case you want to come up with a different default sarcastic comparison or something.

That roguelike was a lot of fun. I was getting bored with ADOM, nice to try something different.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
I wonder how the gaming sites will react to the changes. There are a lot of Deus Ex fans out there, will some of go "excuse me, wtf are you doing" or will they give it the Fallout 3 treatment? I'm guessing the latter.

Until you've play Deus Ex 3, you just don't understand, you just don't. No, you have no clue, none.

You can't make any arguments because you haven't played it, sorry, but no can do.

J1M

Arcane
Kamaz said:
Augmentations have been bumped up and sound fantastic. 20 have been promised for the final game, ranging from 'bungee jump' tentacles that shoot from your back and anchor to a wall when you jump off a building, and the ability to punch through walls to grab enemies in neighbouring rooms.

Cool. But, err, how comes prequel has more advanced technology than later games?
It's not. The augs are probably going to be mechanical rather than nanotech. A bungee cord strapped to your chest is pretty fucking low tech.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom