Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kivi's Underworld Beta Release

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Kivi's Underworld

The open beta for dungeon crawler <b><a href="http://www.soldak.com/Kivis-Underworld/Overview.html" target="blank">Kivi's Underworld</a></b> is out now. Grab the 38.5 mb download <a href="http://www.soldak.com/Kivis-Underworld/Demo.html" target="blank">here</a> to see what the folks behind Depths of Peril have been up to.
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.bluesnews.com/">Blue's News</A>

Chefe

Erudite
Looks fun. I'll try this out.

Wait... is it still okay to occasionally enjoy ARPGs around here?

Rhett Butler

Scholar
Played through the beta, seems pretty polished for what it is. Only issues I noticed were skeleton archers firing on me while facing the other way, and a few items that were named and yet did nothing when clicked.

As far as whether it's good or not, I'd have to say not. Not having equipable items, or even an inventory is just gay. I can see no reason to remove loot, for fucks sake loot is half the fun of a Diablo-like. The lack of character customisation is also quite annoying. I get that this game is aimed at the casual market, but having only one active and one passive skill per character is just lame. I also think a speed stat would have made things more interesting. Another gripe is that you only get one set of stats for ALL of your characters, which pretty much removes the point of having multiple characters in the first place. I also didn't like not being able to choose which character I started with, instead unlocking them along the way. This isn't a major issue, I'd just rather have had a choice of class to begin with.

The game looks good, sounds good, plays smoothly and intuitively, but I think they have gone too far in making it a casual game. I could even have lived with the one skill per character thing if they had allowed you to build your characters different from each other, and if there was fucking loot. As is it's just too dumbed down, even for an aRPG.

-Garrett-

Novice
Strangely, Kivi's Underworld has less depth and replay value than its predecessor. Once you've beaten each adventure, the only reason to go back is to find secret areas (which is easy), get all the gold trophies (which is also easy), or unlock characters and awards. Unlike Depths of Peril, the maps are static, although items are still randomised.

I can understand wanting to make a more approachable game (the Xbox-style awards, unlockable characters, level trophies, and generally lower difficulty are great steps towards this) but the removal of loot is a big sacrifice. The addition of colour-coded keys to open up new areas is also a slight annoyance, and something I'd expect from Doom or Zelda rather than a Diablo lookalike.

While I am impressed by the improvements I don't know that I'll ever play it again, whereas Depths of Peril is something I'll always go back to. It's quite a shame, really.

crakkie

Arcane
I wasn't expecting much depth since it's "a casual, hack and slash game", but it seems like it's designed for replay value that it fails to deliver.

There are 20 classes to unlock, each has only an attack, an active skill, and a passive skill. I've only unlocked 2 characters so I'm not sure if there's any difference in speed, health, offense and defense between them (those are the 4 stats).

The levels as Garret said are static. The replayability is supposed to come from maximizing your score, finding all the secret areas, and just trying an area again with a different character. They are short by design ("Fits easily into your schedule, designed to be played in 15 to 30 minute chunks"), and thorough RPG players can find all the secrets with no trouble (SPOILER WARNING: FIND THE WHITE ROCKS CUZ THEY'RE ILLUSIONARY THE END). The levels don't seem to get harder when you replay them, and since you are upgrading your characters (all of them at once), it just gets easier as you progress, giving little incentive to go back and try the old levels.

Progression is not so good. It's oversimplified and not well done. Stat upgrades apply to all characters, so it's not very satisfying and dilutes the differences between all the classes, in which they have put much of their work. You get a number of stat points depending on how well you cleared the level and can apply them to the 4 stats or the 2 skills. This would have been more satisfying if they have just let you slightly upgrade a single character in entirety with the point instead of bumping up every character's stat.

And yes, there is no inventory. You can hold only 3 powerups at a time, encouraging you to use them constantly which makes it a little more exciting. There are health and mana pickups, creatively called Health Pickup and Mana Pickup respectively. Upgrading your offense makes your weapon change, all Knights of the Round style. A couple of levels where kind of a bitch since I found almost no health pickups or regen powerups and every damn chest had a trap in it. For the most part, I breezed through it on my son's laptop's touchpad.

On the plus, the animations are better than DoP, as are the environments (there's contrast!) and hacking and slashing are a little more visceral. I can appreciate what it's trying to do, kind of an ARPG Weird Worlds where you play a couple of 20 minute levels then put it down.

Since this is the beta, I would humbly suggest:

Fix progression Either make it apply to a single character or use some scheme that doesn't make the game easier for all characters as you go.

Give some additional incentive to come back to the old levels Something better than "find the white rocks" (warning, spoiler preceded). Increase the difficulty on each replay if you find more secrets. Add some secrets that can only be found by certain classes or class types or by using a certain class's special attack. I assume it's too late to put in randomized levels and make this a casual graphical roguelike.

Misc bugs and unfinished business The characters and enemies skate into their attacks. The font is terrible. The frontpage UI isn't too pretty. If they're streamlining and "casualizing" the gameplay, they should clean up the interface to go along with that. Right now the in-game UI looks like a crippled DoP interface. Fix some of the conventional language if this is for the casual crowd; i.e. change primary/secondary skill, offense, defense, health, pickups to something gooey and shiny like attack, dodge, life, potions.

flushfire

Augur
no inventory/loot = automatic fail. almost fell asleep playing the game.

Chefe

Erudite
This game is pretty horrible. No inventory in an aRPG? What? What?

The interface makes my eyes bleed. You resurrect exactly where you died a second after. Potions are used when you pick them up.

For wanting to make a "casual" game, they sure do go out of their way to confuse the hell out of you when it comes to doing anything besides furiously clicking with your mouse.

Honesetly, I see no reason for this game to exist at all.

-Garrett-

Novice
Actually, I'd say this is an action-adventure rather than an action RPG. Keys, mostly fixed inventory, linear skill upgrades... it's the sort of things you'd see in Zelda or the like.

Chefe

Erudite
Well, adventure games usually include puzzles, which sets them apart from aRPGs. Throwing in dozens of barrels and having each one take two to three hits to break is not what I call a puzzle.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom