Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Catering for your play-style with Fallout 3 dialogue options

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Fallout 3

The UGO Games Blog <a href="http://gamesblog.ugo.com/index.php/gamesblog/more/narrative_in_games_where_interactivity_meets_story_fallout_3_edition/">has an article / interview with Pete Hines up about Fallout 3</a> and the challenges in providing gamers with choice "Narrative In Games: Where Interactivity Meets Story - Fallout 3 Edition":
<br>
<blockquote>The dialog choices in Fallout 3 manage to define your space in the world. Begrudgingly taking on a quest while demanding a reward, is far different than aiding a forlorn traveler out of the goodness of your heart. The interpersonal relationships in the game ultimately provide much more story than any bits of action that players stumble across. And that’s because oftentimes the action is not actually defined until you close that given quest with a conversation.
<br>
<br>
Your “two cents” serves as your input to the game world. It’s the final period, or exclamation point (or question mark) at the end of a chapter. It’s how you let that grubby old fool know that you only helped him out with that bottle of water because your bag was getting heavy, not because you cared. The team at Bethesda has designed a game where your actions shape the world, but your voice shapes yourself. “We want the storytelling to be driven by the actual player that plays the game and not by us,” says Hines. “We want to anticipate the kinds of things that you want to do, and anticipate the reactions that you want to see in the game based on what you do. But ultimately we want you to be the one decider.”
<br>
<br>
The tricky part comes in when you consider the necessary range of choices players need to be provided with. In an adventure that leaves the player’s role up to the player, they need not feel stifled by the dialog options that they’re presented with. In other words, if I’m a snarky bastard, there sure as hell better be some kind of dialog choice that reflects that. And really, it’s nearly impossible to for the developers to create dialog that fits every player’s role. So Bethesda has a tricky problem: how strong can a voice be, without leaving a character pigeon-holed as a contemptuous asshole or a saintly do-gooder?</blockquote>
<br>
In the interview part, Pete Hines says "I think what we’re trying to do--all along the way--is monitor as you make those decisions on a quest-by-quest basis, and have that reflect your total experience. As opposed to letting a player that plays 99 percent of the game as a good guy and then gets to the very end and makes one choice and suddenly they’re evil. It doesn’t make any sense". Did they succeed?
<br>
<br>
Spotted @ <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com">Blargle Spit Patooey</a>

spectre

Arcane
Yay, moar fallout3.

As opposed to letting a player that plays 99 percent of the game as a good guy and then gets to the very end and makes one choice and suddenly they’re evil. It doesn’t make any sense"

Nice that he noticed. Too bad that's the way you play their game (I remember being evil, got sick of Regulators, went all the way up till Saint, got sick of the Talon mercs, then went neutral).
And let's ponder on this one for a bit, is it not making any sense?
I reckon, people tend to remember the worst things best. And a single bad deed (and a significant one) may mean it doesn't matter if your whole life you've helped grannes to the other side of the stret.

The dialog choices in Fallout 3 manage to define your space in the world.
And I shall happlily quote this one out of context. By choosing the [Intellignece] responses, I define my space in the fallout3 world as either:
a)captain obvious
b)dimwit

Damn, Petey boy, you talk the talk all the time, how is it so, that I can find little of it implemented in that game of yours? Mebbie I got some sort of a leaked unfinished version?

Wow...they've only now stumbled on the wonderful thing Bioware has been doing since Baldur's Gate...purely cosmetic dialogue options that lead to the exact same outcome. And here I thought they were just doing it out of sheer ineptness.....

SpaceKungFuMan

Scholar
I find the game unplayable because I can't stand to play a character who would say the stupid tings they wrote for the player, so I guess they did succeed in giving you the ability to define what type of idiot you are through dialog choices. I mean, I literally can't bring myself to say that idiotic line about my dad, the middle aged guy. The game was over when I met the Sheriff.

uhjghvt

Scholar
Re: Catering for your play-style with Fallout 3 dialogue opt

Your “two cents” serves as your input to the game world. It’s the final period, or exclamation point (or question mark) at the end of a chapter. It’s how you let that grubby old fool know that you only helped him out with that bottle of water because your bag was getting heavy, not because you cared. The team at Bethesda has designed a game where your actions shape the world, but your voice shapes yourself. “We want the storytelling to be driven by the actual player that plays the game and not by us,” says Hines. “We want to anticipate the kinds of things that you want to do, and anticipate the reactions that you want to see in the game based on what you do. But ultimately we want you to be the one decider.”

The tricky part comes in when you consider the necessary range of choices players need to be provided with. In an adventure that leaves the player’s role up to the player, they need not feel stifled by the dialog options that they’re presented with. In other words, if I’m a snarky bastard, there sure as hell better be some kind of dialog choice that reflects that. And really, it’s nearly impossible to for the developers to create dialog that fits every player’s role. So Bethesda has a tricky problem: how strong can a voice be, without leaving a character pigeon-holed as a contemptuous asshole or a saintly do-gooder?
el8px1.jpg

spectre

Arcane
And really, it’s nearly impossible to for the developers to create dialog that fits every player’s role. So Bethesda has a tricky problem: how strong can a voice be

So, if it's nearly impossible, it means we should roll over, die, and continue spewing generic good/evil/neutral dialogues? Poppycock!
All you need is to uderstand to what types of gameplay does your gameplay cater to (it's not that hard, just look at the skill list, make a few viable character builds/classes, examine the game's morality system).
Then, you need a few writers who know their shtick. I know it ishard and all.
Seriously, for fallout 3 you don't even have the excuse that you have to voiuce over these, as PC blabber is silent.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
What's this about a good fight? I note there are topics about fights popping up in GD lately.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
It really shows that Bethesda knows their target audience. At least that is the only explanation I could find for their strong focus on the "dumb" play-style.

Pliskin

Arbiter
The interpersonal relationships in the game ultimately provide much more story than any bits of action that players stumble across. And that’s because oftentimes the action is not actually defined until you close that given quest with a conversation.

WTF?

Seriously --- is there a place I can go to learn to speak this sort of pop-psych BS, or did I miss out by not being born with the sort of mental disconnect that would allow me to talk this sort of shit in public with a straight face?

But, I guess, that's why he's a Big Time Producer, and I'm not...

Rhalle

Magister
Bethesda's imitation of Bioware's totally insipid and inane PC dialouge is pitch-perfect.

hiver

And to think how they lied there wont be any low intelligence dialogue in the game. Bastards!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom