Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Baldur's Gate and NWN 3 are coming...

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Baldur's Gate III (Obsidian Entertainment)

... <a href="http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=323024">or so say EuroGamer</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>Atari plans to revisit the likes of Baldur's Gate, Dungeons & Dragons, Neverwinter Nights and Test Drive Unlimited, but not in the next 12 months.
<br>

<br>
"You will hear more from these but not today, because we're focused on 2009," Infogrames president Phil Harrison told hacks assembled at a press event this afternoon. </blockquote>
<br>
Someone's digging out the old Jefferson plans? Hopefully they'll do one of those teaser sites just for good measure.
<br>

<br>
Thanks <b>Bossman</b>!

deuxhero

Arcane
I was thinking that they could have decent combat if they went ToEE, but then I realized they would have to be 4th ed based.

Drakron

Arcane
deuxhero said:
... then I realized they would have to be 4th ed based.

And since 4th Ed. is full of fail we do not want that, especially on the 4th Ed. post-apocalyptic Forgotten Realms.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Drakron said:
deuxhero said:
... then I realized they would have to be 4th ed based.

And since 4th Ed. is full of fail we do not want that, especially on the 4th Ed. post-apocalyptic Forgotten Realms.

Is that an exageration or has some serious shit happened?

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
There was some shit. It happened. It was really serious.

Drakron

Arcane
Dicksmoker said:
Care to elaborate?

I am not into the details, just that "the most notable of which include the death of the goddess Mystra and her Weave, and the subsequent Spellplague. The Spellplague is a phenomenon which occurs with the decomposition of the Weave, and either kills or drives spellcasters mad. In addition, the Spellplague affects the environment and the natural world, causing calamitous events, including giant statues coming to life and rampaging, violent earthquakes, the corruption of various beings into monsters, and the collapsing of some regions of the Underdark."

If you do not want to move a copy from inventory and so giving Hasbro money just look for a torrent of the books if you want to see how they turned FR into a Eberron clone (at least I read people saying that about now the new FR are like).

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Okay. But that sounds like it would be good, though. A chance to do something different.

Fallout meets DnD LOL.

Holy shit...

The Feral Kid

Prophet
Baldur's Gate and NWN 3 are coming

Hopefully Obsidian won't be involved in any of them. Atari should know by now.

Edit: If Obshitian put their slimy hands on anything tagged BG 3 I'll feel the same way I felt when I heard Beth were doing Fallout 3.

ushdugery

Scholar
Lol I'd prefer they did nwn3 than bioware, I thought nwn 2 was bad then I played nwn which came with the package I got two in (really only so I could play motb) and it fucking sucked bored me to tears.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Nah. That's SOZ. Otherwise, the quality of the two games are about equal.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
The Feral Kid said:

Edit: If Obshitian put their slimy hands on anything tagged BG 3 I'll feel the same way I felt when I heard Beth were doing Fallout 3.

go back to the bioware forums

Erebus

Arcane
I've read a bit about the FR in 4e. The ĂĽber-powerful good NPCs have always been my main problem with the setting, so I'm glad to see them mostly gone (Elminster still lives, but he's no longer the munchkin he was when Mystra was alive). But the developers tried too hard to make the FR dark and edgy. The people attached to the setting are probably going to hate this heavily changed version and the others might as well stick with Eberron (which the new FR are obviously trying to emulate by being post-apocalyptical, full of extravagant landscapes, etc.).

To sum up the changes :

- Mystra's dead, Cyric did it (and is now in some sort of god jail) at Shar's instigation.

- Tyr is dead and replaced by Torm ; nobody cares.

- Toril merged with its long-lost twin world, Abeir, in a blatant effort to become more exciting.

- The magical cataclysm created the Plaguelands, devastated and dangerous areas which are totally not the same as what can be found on Eberron.

- Drizz't, Cattie-Brie, the Seven Sisters, Shandril Shessair, Cadderly and the Harpers are all dead. (Okay, so that one is just hopeful speculation.)

- Lathander was actually Amaunator all along, which may have taken his priests and worshippers slightly by surprise since, aside from having the sun as their symbol, the two have zero in common.

- Getting rid of Ao would have been a logical move for the setting, since the overgod has done absolutely nothing about all of this, but the overgod apparently retains his pointless existence.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
What this means is that Obsidian can basically do WHATEVER THE FUCK THEY WANT and be able to justify it in the setting. If they're doing BG3. Hell, even for future NWN2 expansions. And come to think of it, I remember them saying that SoZ was supposed to 'lead in" to the 4th edition, as if they knew what they were leading to. Then combine that with Anthony Davis' comment earlier today, and the fact that they still have one unannounced project...

oh my god *creams pants*

The Feral Kid

Prophet
Jaime Lannister said:
The Feral Kid said:

go back to the bioware forums

Go back to sleep.

Melcar

Arcane
From the little I have read on 4ed. I can say that it's shit, and I'm not even going to go into the actual mechanics of the new way of playing it (also horrible).

DemonKing

Arcane
Melcar said:
From the little I have read on 4ed. I can say that it's shit, and I'm not even going to go into the actual mechanics of the new way of playing it (also horrible).

I've got the rules and it seems like it might be a decent game but it's definitely not D&D.

Up until 4th edition, I felt every edition of D&D was a logical progression, but 4th ed. just seems like a completely different game.

Almost all character powers and abilities are now based on combat. The emphasis seems to be solely on creating an engaging miniatures battle game than on a decent role-playing system.

The only advantage I can think of with regard to CRPGs is that almost all powers use a similar template and common effect types which should make recreating them in a CRPG format relatively easy.

Redeye

Arcane
DemonKing said:

The only advantage I can think of with regard to CRPGs is that almost all powers use a similar template and common effect types which should make recreating them in a CRPG format relatively easy.

CRPGs perhaps started as attemps to be computer versions of PnP.

4th Ed. is PnP that attempts to reproduce CRPG.

Full Circle.

(The powers/abilities are like "buttons" that you can push. Except on paper.)

Longshanks

Augur
The Feral Kid said:
ie. The same way you feel yourself every day. This is no cataclysmic coincidence.

The Feral Kid

Prophet
Longshanks said:
ie. The same way you feel yourself every day.

It only feels that way the days when your mom is not here to give me a "hand".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom