Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Fallout 3 may corrupt your child; voice, artist interviews

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Fallout 3

In case you're a concerned parent, <a href="http://www.timothyplan.com/ProActive/frame-ProActive-videogame.htm">some hippy religious website</a> has released a score card of evil horrid games that will corrupt your child's fragile little mind. There are two PDF lists. The <a href="http://www.fme.cc/VideoGame-Basic.pdf">first is a score-card</a> while <a href="http://www.fme.cc/VideoGame-Graphic.pdf">the second is the more in-depth</a> on each game (with the score-card at the end).
<br>
<br>
Mass Effect scores a total of 11 with a whopping 3 (seems to be the highest score) in the Gay / Lesbian column with its "Lesbian Encounters" while Fallout 3 gets 16 because of its Sex, Violence, Language, Drugs, Alcohol and Tobacco. The most evil game is of course, GTA IV coming in with a score of 18.
<br>
<br>
Sadly, none of those games scored anything in the "Demonic" category.
<br>
<br>
In related Fallout 3 news, <a href="http://planetfallout.gamespy.com/articles/features/277/Interview-with-Wes-Johnson">GameSpy have an interview with voice-over artist Wes Johnson</a>:
<br>
<blockquote><b>PF: In the game you make voiceovers for two different characters. How did you prepare both of them, and made sure they would be recognized as completely different personas?</b>
<br>
<br>
WJ: I actually play a few robots as well as Fawkes and Mr Burke. Mr Burke was the easiest of them all to do, because Emil had written him with me in mind after our work together on Oblivion. He wanted someone who was basically Lucien Lachance’s Dark Brother from another Mother. So I used the sinister, unctuous tones of Lucien, made them more corporate and stripped the very slight accent off of him. They are slightly different voices, but they are enough alike that you will recognize it immediately. Especially Burke’s very first line, which was very Lucien.</blockquote>
<br>
While NMA have an interview up <a href="http://www.nma-fallout.com/article.php?id=47806">with one of the original creators</a>, Michael Dean the "third artist":
<br>
<blockquote><b>How was it to be a part of the Fallout team?</b>
<br>
<br>
One of the best teams I've ever worked on. Leonard and Jason were both great leads, and easy to work with. Tim was very good about holding meetings every week to see what we all thought and where we'd like to see the game go. The entire team was at least somewhat (or even heavily) involved with design, which is what I think really gave the game a lot of character. There was very little design-by-numbers and a lot of "hey check this idea out, let's make it work" that went on with all aspects the project. Improvements also happened quickly, as there was little -if any- ego, attitude, or red tape keeping everyone from doing their jobs efficiently.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Spotted @ <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com">RPGWatch</a>

Rhett Butler

Scholar
The Timothy Plan said:
We also know that, statistically, pörnography has led to the destruction of children’s lives and the demise of the family unit.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
I like that Army of Two got a 1 in gay and lesbian. At least someone gets that game's homosexual undertones.

hiver

Hmmm... puffs a smoke and corrects a monocle
carefully...
I think i shall go for the NMA, thank you Jives.

Somebody should whack this voice guy with a wet chicken over the head.
I think he is on something, probably mushrooms.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Re: Fallout 3 may corrupt your child, Interview with Voice-O

What? No <a href="http://shelleytherepublican.com/2008/06/21/worldwide-dd-day-link-between-dd-and-satanism-revealed.aspx">D&D</a> games? Satan's answer to the Pope. And Diablo should have been in there, too. The list cannot be taken seriously and was probably made by devil-worshippers to confuse concerned parents about the real dangers of video-gaming.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Valkyria Chronicles got 2 points in the Gay/Lesbian department, wonder where they saw that? This is probably mandatory for an anime-style game.

The most eeeeeevil game with only 18 points? I bet Bloodlines could do better than that. Let's see:

Sex: 2? It's nothing explicit, but if Fable 2 gets a 3, then maybe Bloodlines should as well.
Nudity: 3. Just for that place in Hollywood.
Gay/Lesbian: 3. For the Janette encounter and various flirting.
Violence: Easily 3. Blood boil should get bonus points here.
Cartoon Violence: I'll skip this.
Language: 3. Fuck yes.
Comic Mischief: Skip again.
Drugs: 2 at least for that chemist on the pier. Maybe 3.
Alcohol: 2? Some characters are drunk and some are talking about alcohol, but the pc himself cannot drink (alcohol). Maybe 3.
Tobacco: 2? A lot of characters are smoking. Again, maybe 3.
Gambling: 0. None that I recall.
Demonic: 3. Hell yes.
Game Addiction: Wtf is this? Skipping again.

Total: Between 23 and 27 points. I knew there was a reason I liked this game.

Xerxos

Novice
What really cracks me up is this:

Sims 2: (and various add-ons)
Sex: 2
Gay/lesbian: 2
Violence: 1
Comic Mischief:1
Total: 6

Ultimate Mortal Kombat:
Violence: 3
Total: 3

So better to let your kids play Mortal Kombat then the evil Sim 2!

:facepalm:

hiver

interesting review by Brother None... seems like he went down the "Its not Fallout so ill give it almost favorable review because of it" technique.

I really dont see any point on insisting its a good game in the end after all thats been said šreviously in the review.

DriacKin

Arbiter
Its a shame they didn't take a look at The Witcher. I bet that it would have scored much higher than an 18.

Drakron

Arcane
Xerxos said:
What really cracks me up is this:

Sims 2: (and various add-ons)
Sex: 2
Gay/lesbian: 2

I guess they dont know how I play the Sims 2 ...

flabbyjack

Arcane
Blurb-VideoGames.jpg

"Muahahahaha!"

zioburosky13

Educated

DarkUnderlord said:
In case you're a concerned parent, <a href="http://www.timothyplan.com/ProActive/frame-ProActive-videogame.htm">some hippy religious website</a> has released a score card of evil horrid games

Note to those hippies:
Those games are for age 18 and beyond. Learn to read next time. :twisted:

xedoc gpr

Scholar
skyway said:
WJ: I actually play a few robots as well as Fawkes and Mr Burke.
:lol:
You can tell he is one of those 6 VO actors that voiced the game

There's nothing wrong with having a few VA's voice many characters, this is pretty common, as those who are professional voice actors are very good at manipulating their voices and imitating different kinds of people. P.S. Family Guy.

Though, they have to be talented.

Jim Cojones

Prophet

DarkUnderlord said:
Sadly, none of those games scored anything in the "Demonic" category.
I think there is "deamon spawn" karma in Fo3 :twisted:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom