Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review EuroGamer trash Rise of the Argonauts

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Rise of the Argonauts

<a href="http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/rise-of-the-argonauts-review_1">EuroGamer looked at Rise of the Argonauts and didn't like what they saw</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>But these relative successes are marred. Phaedon's philosophical jousting, for example, is the other side of a crude memory game, and followed by a dull boss fight, while decisions about how to treat the people you encounter are often trivial. You simply pick the response that serves whichever god you're currently trying to get some powers out of, aware by this stage that the structure of the game is rather more linear than it lets on. Choice is generally an illusion, if it's even offered, as it isn't when you're invited to either bludgeon your wife's murderer to death, watching on from his perspective after ten minutes of playing, or stand there motionless and not play the game any longer.
<br>
[...]
<br>
But if this is a cautionary tale, it's one of this player's misplaced, increasingly desperate hope to derive some greater meaning. There is only one path, and while you meet a few interesting people and solve a few worthy problems on the way, the fundamental paradox at the heart of Rise of the Argonauts is never explored or resolved. Instead, the game concludes disagreeably, as virtually everyone Jason is supposed to protect is left tortured and dead by his original departure, and he simply has a party because he got what he wanted. For an action RPG elevated beyond its serviceable components by the allure of rich mythology to end in such a desperate contradiction is comprehensively self-destructive.</blockquote>
<br>
Normally this would be the part where they then say "but forget all that, the game is gr8!!1" but you'd be wrong. 3/10.
<br>
<br>
Spotted @ <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com">RPGWatch</a>

Witchblade

Scholar
I have no idea why publishers of action games have to mess it up by bringing the term "RPG" into the picture. There is nothing in this game that makes it an RPG. I haven't finished it yet, but so far I've enjoyed it as an action-adventure.

Why raise RPG fans' hackles by calling it an Action-RPG? Gamers who enjoy POP and Devil May cry and the Cain/Soul Reaver series, etc., should find this game pleasing enough as an action game.

I'm liking it so far. It's definitely more interesting than a lot of hack 'n slash Action-RPG's out there.

Avu

Liturgist
What RPG fans are you talking about? Oblivion lovers? Fallout 3 lovers? JRPG lovers? Bioware Extreme lovers? You do know our little minority here is quite irrelevant both to publishers and the so called gaming journalism.

Witchblade

Scholar
Avu said:
What RPG fans are you talking about? Oblivion lovers? Fallout 3 lovers? JRPG lovers? Bioware Extreme lovers? You do know our little minority here is quite irrelevant both to publishers and the so called gaming journalism.

Oblivion, Fallout 3, Final fantasy, -even Mass Effect, have more RPG elements than this game. I'm not trashing the game at all - it's actually a very nice game, with pleasing graphics, gameplay and story, there just really are no character/stat building elements in the game at all.

The only progression you get in your fighting skills, are added weapons and "abilities" that you get from your favoured gods. These are also elements that you find in any FPS and action-adventure out there.

Even an Oblivion-lover should stop in his tracks and go:"Wait a minute - they called this game an Action-RPG... - WTF?"

Still, as I said, to me it's a nice game. I had read a review or 2 before I got it, so I was not expecting it to be big in the RPG dept., and once I got over any expectations in that regard, I started enjoying the game for what it is- an enjoyable hybrid.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Witchblade said:
Why raise RPG fans' hackles by calling it an Action-RPG? Gamers who enjoy POP and Devil May cry and the Cain/Soul Reaver series, etc., should find this game pleasing enough as an action game.
Did... Did you just lump Prince of Persia, Devil May Cry and Legacy of Kain into one category? These games are very different from each other: PoP is a platformer, DMC is a slasher, and LoK is an action/adventure heavy on puzzle solving. Needless to say, a person who likes one may hate the other two.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom