Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Metalheart interview at RPG Vault

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Akella; Alexander Filatow; Metalheart: Replicants Rampage

<a href=http://rpgvault.ign.com>RPG Vault</a> posted an <a href=http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/449/449429p1.html>interview</a> with <b>Alexander Filatow</b>, Chief Programmer of <a href=http://www.akella.com/pub-metalheart-en.shtml>Metalheart: Replicants Rampage</a>, a <b>turn-based, cyberpunk</b> game.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>Jonric</b>: As an introduction, what kind of game is Metalheart: Replicants Rampage? What are the main i the design and gameplay influences, and to what does the title refer?
<br>
<br>
<b>Alexander Filatow</b>: Metalheart is a classical turn-based RPG. The main feature is character development with the usage of many futuristic implants and gadgets, which is mostly influenced by the pen and paper cyberpunk RPG Shadowrun and computer games like Deus Ex and Syndicate. A character may completely change his identity by using special devices, replacing his body parts and adding special functions. Beyond this, the game's flow will be very similar to Fallout, although the game takes place in the far future, on another planet where the rules are sort of like those in the Mad Max movies.
<br>
<br>
<b>Jonric</b>: How much backstory is there leading up to the start of the game? What's the story about, and how linear or open-ended will it be?
<br>
<br>
<b>Alexander Filatow</b>: The background story is actually very straightforward; the basics are similar to some Star Trek episodes and science fiction movies. A starship captain and his female co-pilot survive an emergency landing on a planet. The whole game is the story of their survival. As a side effect they also save the world. :)
<br>
<br>
The story will be pretty linear, but with some interesting twists. Depending on your relationship with different groups (mutants, replicants, cyborgs), you will solve the same objectives in the different ways. For example, if you want to continue your travel, you need a very special item located in the cyborg city:
<br>
Situation 1: You are at war with the cyborgs, so you attack them and steal the item.
<br>
Situation 2: Same objective, but the cyborgs are your friends. You receive a quest from them and obtain the item upon accomplishing it.
<br>
Beyond that, there will be an unlimited amount of computer-generated quests off the main story path, allowing you to play the game as long as you want.</blockquote>
<br>
Fallout meets Shadowrun and you can play it for as long as you want! Sounds great in theory, hopefully it would be as good as they say
<br>

LCJr.

Erudite
A sci-fi crpg would be nice for a change. The linear and "save the world" bit dampens my enthusiam and I've yet to see a random quest generator that didn't get old quick.

Still I'll keep an open mind until I can try a demo.

Ausir

Arcane
Let's hope it won't be as good as some other game with "heart" in the title and a similarly linear story...

Anonymous

Well, better Fallout for a building stone than BioWare's heaps of shit.

Game sounds good, but the story could use a little work and maybe a bit more uniqueness for each of the player's options, but over-all i'll just have to see the final product.

Game could turn out to be a huge steaming pile of shit, but i'll see. Maybe it'll improve, too.

modboy

Novice
From looking at the rpgvault screenshots, this is looking pretty sweet. This one seems to have a definite Fallout influence which I don't think is a bad thing at all these days.

On the desert shot, the UI shows action points meter, primary & secondary weapons, ability to stand/kneel/go prone.. very JA and Fallout.

Here's hoping this turns out as good as it looks.

Seven

Erudite
LlamaGod said:
Well, better Fallout for a building stone than BioWare's heaps of shit.

Game sounds good, but the story could use a little work and maybe a bit more uniqueness for each of the player's options, but over-all i'll just have to see the final product.

Game could turn out to be a huge steaming pile of shit, but i'll see. Maybe it'll improve, too.

This is just it though. They're using the FO name and not what made FO in soul. Linearity, nope not FO; DX, not either; Planet hopping, nah; Star Trek episode, uh-uh; 2 solutions, WOW nope that's not FO either. I'd much rather them not mention FO when they're not really utilizing it for anything other than it's cache with sophisticated gamers.

Anonymous

True, but what I think they probably mean is that it plays similiar to Fallout, but is still it's own game. But then again, it's probably just buzzwords, so that's kinda crappy.

'IT'S LIKE FALLOUT, HINT TO YOU HARDCORE RPG PLAYERS! EH EH!'

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom