Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview The Pitt Media Blitz Starts Up

Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Fallout 3

Seeing as the Pitt DLC for Fallout 3 has <a href="http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/bethesda-dates-fallout-3-the-pitt">officially been dated at March 24th</a>, Bethesda has seen fit to start the hype machine up with plenty of hands on previews, a few <a href="http://www.nma-fallout.com/#49595">screenshots</a>, and likely more to come. From the <a href="http://www.oxm.co.uk/article.php?id=8791">UK Official Xbox Magazine</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>
<br>
It's at this point that The Pitt shows that it retains Fallout 3's ability to deftly and subtly allow your decisions to influence the action, that makes you want to revisit. As you approach the slave camps, you notice a couple of slaves dashing for freedom, who get blown up by the mines. Will you take their slave outfit and get into the camp that way? Will you try to join the slavers as a recruit? It's up to you.
<br>
[...]
<br>
Once you join The Pitt, you then have to figure out how to achieve your goals while maintaining the facade of being a weak-willed slave worker. The Pitt works as a central hub almost in the same way Megaton did, the difference being that The Pitt is much bigger and the suffocating sense of oppression gives it an entirely different feel. Slaves are covered with cuts, bruises and skin peeling off their faces. The sound of clanking metal and whirring grinders create a noisy din. Guards tell you to "**** off" if you try talk to them. The Pitt isn't a nice place to be.
<br>
[...]
<br>
Unlike Operation Anchorage, The Pitt isn't focused on combat. You have the traditional push-and-pull of quests that send you scurrying around the terrain collecting objects, investigating mysterious circumstances or just happening on odd scenarios. In the Steel Mill, you find an injured slave worker on the floor that the guards are ignoring. You have the choice of healing him or putting him out his misery. Help or hinder? The choice is yours.
<br>
[...]
<br>
Inside The Pitt, you have a contact called Midea who sets you on the right path towards the cure - you need to triumph in the arena, where slaves are put up against a vast array of fighters in a 'symbolic' bid to win their freedom.</blockquote>
<br>
And <a href="http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/fallout-3-the-pitt-hands-on">Eurogamer</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>It begins, as Anchorage did, with a distress signal. A chap called Wernher has escaped from The Pitt with the knowledge that someone deep in its bowels has discovered a mutation cure. They're not keen on sharing, seeing as the majority of the slaves there have rotting faces and are on their way to becoming the half-human trogs that roam unguarded areas. As such it's a remedy that could do with liberating. (There's a potential for profit too, if you're slightly more inclined towards evil.)
<br>
[...]
<br>
I won't ruin the experience by presenting a laboured 'What I done on a third of my holidays' linear account of The Pitt; but that word 'linear' is worth analysing. The Pitt is linear in that it's a sequence of linked quests in different areas of a map, much like Operation Anchorage and the more location-based affairs in the main game. But there's no doubt you feel less funnelled and less hurried as you pootle around the outskirts, primary foundry hub and early trog-infested 'dungeon' area.
<br>
[...]
<br>
Well, as humble and slave-like as you can be while foraging for steel bars with a looted assault rifle and a tool called a 'Man Opener', that is. A tool that's frankly more gory and over-powered than anything yet seen in the wasteland.
<br>
[...]
<br>
What's more, as my time in the Pitt came to a close, I got a sneak peek at the grass roots of the content. At the heart of dystopian Pittsburgh lies a combat arena - the almighty pillar of Bethesda's past work in the Elder Scrolls series that, thinking about it, was conspicuous by its absence in Fallout 3. In there, it can be assumed, you'll be able to show these bastard slavers what you're made of. Remember: you're not locked up in there with them, they're locked up in there with you...</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
"Man-Opener"? No comment.
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.nma-fallout.com/">No Mutants Allowed</A>

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm actually mildly interested due to living in Pittsburgh... but not enough to re-pirate FO3 and this expansion.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
In the Steel Mill, you find an injured slave worker on the floor that the guards are ignoring. You have the choice of healing him or putting him out his misery. It's choices like these that keep you up at night, horror and dread creeping into your mind as you're struck with the impact of your actions.

"I forgot to loot the man-opener off his corpse..."

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
SerratedBiz said:
In the Steel Mill, you find an injured slave worker on the floor that the guards are ignoring. You have the choice of healing him or putting him out his misery. It's choices like these that keep you up at night, horror and dread creeping into your mind as you're struck with the impact of your actions.

"I forgot to loot the man-opener off his corpse..."
:)

FalloutBR

Educated
Getting into a slave camp disguised as a slave is one of the stupidiest ideas I've heard of, even more when you have a pipboy on your arm and a shitload of weapons in your backpack... I suppose you'll just have to hope that no one notices.

Wait... maybe because FO3's slaves do nothing but drag their asses around the whole day instead of doing heavy work or being whipped to death?

Arcanoix

Scholar
poocolator said:
Heh. I just might get myself a demo copy of this crap to see how many times I can break it.

Unlike Operation Anchorage, The Pitt isn't focused on combat.
you need to triumph in the arena, where slaves are put up against a vast array of fighters in a 'symbolic' bid to win their freedom.

Could've fooled me.

WINRAR!

Cimmerian Nights

Liturgist
Edward_R_Murrow said:
Fallout 3's ability to deftly and subtly allow your decisions to influence the action
Bethesda is deft and subtle like an epileptic seizure.
Deft and subtle.
Fuckin' stroker what you are.

Whoever the fuck read beyond that, the first sentence, needs to be sterilized for the greater good.

elander_

Arbiter
Fallout 3 had a few great examples of well written quests with choices and consequences side by side with absolutely retarded ones. It looks like they have picked the retards or even Todd himself to write this one quest extension.

Lurkar

Scholar
To be fair, Fallout 3 could be subtle compared to most modern games.

bhlaab

Erudite
SerratedBiz said:

Arg, why do designers and journalists keep insisting that people play games this way?

NOBODY is going to be emotionally invested in this choice. Even if Bethesda had great writers, you're asking people to suddenly give a damn about NPC #4b984 which they just aren't going to unless it's a dog.

elander_

Arbiter
Yes, that's pretty stupid. People may find motivation in doing quests with multiple resolutions because they want to play with the skills they have chosen or to know how the world reacts or to get a new piece of interesting lore or to gain a ally they can go for help later. Not to get a virtual hug from the game from doing a good action in a virtual universe.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom