Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Vault 2003 awards: Kotor is teh w1n

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: BioWare; Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

<a href=http://rpgvault.ign.com>RPG Vault</a> checked the hypometer and realized that they fell behind other sites shamelessly overhyping <b>KOTOR</b>, so they quickly gave it a <a href= http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/462/462113p1.html>truckload of awards</a> of all kinds: <i>Game of the Year, RPG of the Year, Outstanding Achievments in Writing, Music, Sound, and Voice Acting.</i>
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>The renowned Canadian studio that claimed the inaugural Vault Network Game of the Year honor with Baldur's Gate becomes our first two-time winner with its outstanding cross-platform title that both defines and extends the current state of the art within the story-driven CRPG sector, complementing the exemplary efforts of its design and writing teams with impressive visuals plus exceptional music, voice acting and sound to provide a definitive gaming experience that exceeds the sum of its parts. Notably single-player only, Knights of the old Republic proved worthy of its pre-release hype, and it is a truly deserving recipient of our highest annual accolade.</blockquote>
<br>
The honorable mention for Game of the Year is Deus Ex 2. Yeah, that was a sad year indeed. The RPG Expansion Pack award went to Hordes of the Underdark. ToEE was honorably mentioned for Outstanding Achievement in Art Direction and Sound.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
They forgot the following Award:

The Company Whose Baby i Want To Carry To Term: Biowhore. :lol: :oops: :shock: :lol:

Jed

Cipher
Volourn said:
They forgot the following Award:The Company Whose Baby i Want To Carry To Term: Biowhore. :lol: :oops: :shock: :lol:
Hey, V-Man, that's one of the best funnehs you've ever made!

But seriously folks, while I think KotOR is a good game, Geneforge 2 blows it out of the water as a roleplaying game. GF2 is teh win! if it was up to me.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Not if it's anything like Avernum Trilogy's demo. :cry:

As for the funneh; I try.. sometimes.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I don't agree with any of those awards, not even the ones given to TOEE.

First off, there were better games than Knights of the Old Republic. It may have been RPG of the year (I can agree with that, but it's not as if they had competition), but I'd still rate Silent Storm and Call of Duty above it, so there's no way it could be 'game of the year'.

Deus Ex 2 doesn't deserve any awards, unless they're awards for 'worst popular game of the year' or 'biggest dissapointment'.

Temple of Elemental Evil, while it certainly deserves an honorable award in art direction, as it looked very pretty in both scenery as well as in combat, doesn't deserve the award for sound. Mein gott, it had some of the worst voiceovers I've heard in years - why the hell that could win it an award is beyond my understanding.

Anonymous

ToEE had good music and the best sound effects i've ever heard.

A Critical hit on hard metal armors certainly sounded like one, I cringe every time I hear it play on my guys.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Exitium said:
Temple of Elemental Evil, while it certainly deserves an honorable award in art direction, as it looked very pretty in both scenery as well as in combat, doesn't deserve the award for sound. Mein gott, it had some of the worst voiceovers I've heard in years - why the hell that could win it an award is beyond my understanding.
They have a different award for voice acting.

Overall, I agree with everything that's been said here. KOTOR is definitely not a game of the year. Deus Ex 2 being the second best game is a joke. It's the things like that that make people stop reading IGN sites. Also, I'd expect an RPG site to award role-playing aspects of game (the best NPCs award, the best character system, etc) instead of sticking with vanilla the best sound, music, art, voice, and other movie awards rip offs.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Exitium said:
I don't agree with any of those awards, not even the ones given to TOEE.

First off, there were better games than Knights of the Old Republic. It may have been RPG of the year (I can agree with that, but it's not as if they had competition), but I'd still rate Silent Storm and Call of Duty above it, so there's no way it could be 'game of the year'.

Well, a site named RPG Vault would most likely be biased in favor of RPG titles, don't you think. Not to mention that Silent Storm hasn't been relased in the US yet. Bad year for RPG titles, even though I liked the few I've played there was nothing new and/or exciting. KotOR showed that Bioware has potential for improvement and ToEE showed that Troika could do combat right (and that they could write crappy dialogue), Geneforge 2 was cool, but a sequel.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Hmm... If I did I was lying. I downlaoded Avernum demos. Thought the turn base combat was okay; but simple; but the games lacked everything else I seek in a rpg. I did download Geneforge demo but didn't geta round to trying it out. MyI got a new computer and haven't downloaded it again to try it out. So, if I did say it I definitely don't remember doing so or the context of it.. Weird...

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Volourn said:
Hmm... If I did I was lying. I downlaoded Avernum demos. Thought the turn base combat was okay; but simple; but the games lacked everything else I seek in a rpg. I did download Geneforge demo but didn't geta round to trying it out. MyI got a new computer and haven't downloaded it again to try it out. So, if I did say it I definitely don't remember doing so or the context of it.. Weird...

Avernum series are classic dungeon crawlers, not much in the roleplaying department. Geneforge is different though, lots of roleplaying options there with a very reactive gameworld where your actions actually make a difference during the gameplay.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom