Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Bloodlines dev diary #4

Ausir

Arcane
Tags: Leonard Boyarsky; Troika Games; Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

<a target=_blank href=http://www.gamespot.com>GameSpot</a> has posted another part of <a href=http://www.rpgcodex.com/peopledetails.php?id=4>Leon Boyarsky</a>'s <a target=_blank href=http://www.vampirebloodlines.com/>Vampire: Bloodlines</a> dev diary, this time about problems they had with combining an RPG with a shooter:
<br>
<br>
<ul>Without giving too much away, we've found that a lot of player feedback, coupled with an under-the-hood tweaking of the system, has resulted in a good overall combination of the RPG and shooter aspects of the game. I say "under-the-hood" because our goal is to make the game feel like a true-to-the-rules Vampire experience, though sometimes adhering slavishly to the actual pen-and-paper rules almost makes the game seem like it's no longer a faithful translation. We've encountered this issue a lot in making RPGs in the past--as I'm sure the makers of other RPG games have. The important thing is that players get a rewarding experience with the desired feel, and this means a certain amount of massaging the rules. If we've done our job right (which I feel we have, of course), both novices and seasoned players will have a satisfying experience playing Bloodlines. </ul>
<br>
<br>
Go ahead and read the full thing <a target=_blank href=http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/vtmb/preview_6086694.html>here</a>.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgvault.net">RPGVault</A>

Voss

Erudite
I'd like to know what they ended up doing with the combat in general. He mentioned a lot of thought into generic FPS shooting vs. Stat/Skill game based shooting, but...

I'm still puzzling over how true-to-the-rules can wind up with something that isn't like the original.
I mean I can see how an FPS engine and true-to-the-rules can equal not fun, but thats the fault of the engine they chose, not the rules themselves. (Unless they don't like the game system, in which case why do a V:TM game?)

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Leonard Boyarsky said:
When we started down this road, we knew we were facing a daunting task. One of our biggest concerns was how RPG-style statistics and ability scores would factor into the first-person experience. For instance, how would players react to their firearms skill dictating whether or not they hit an opponent?

::looks to Vault Dweller::

They would obviously react badly :lol:

Without giving too much away, we've found that a lot of player feedback, coupled with an under-the-hood tweaking of the system, has resulted in a good overall combination of the RPG and shooter aspects of the game. I say "under-the-hood" because our goal is to make the game feel like a true-to-the-rules Vampire experience, though sometimes adhering slavishly to the actual pen-and-paper rules almost makes the game seem like it's no longer a faithful translation.

I for one hope their ideas for this system work well. I'm interested in seeing how they combine the statistical aspect with the player skill aspect.

We've encountered this issue a lot in making RPGs in the past--as I'm sure the makers of other RPG games have. The important thing is that players get a rewarding experience with the desired feel, and this means a certain amount of massaging the rules.

I hope this doesn't mean a future adoption of the Bioware guideline of "compromises always need to be made" :?

::hands Leonard some anti-Gaider crosses and holy water::

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
lol, I knew you were going to say something, but yeah, this is what you were talking about. Well, if anyone can do RT FPS RPG, it's Troika, so let's hope that you were right.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
lol, I knew you were going to say something, but yeah, this is what you were talking about. Well, if anyone can do RT FPS RPG, it's Troika, so let's hope that you were right.

I hope you didn't take any kind of offense, though; it was just a harmless jibe at the ongoing discussion :wink: :D

But honestly, i hope they can make something good in regards to the system they envisioned.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Role-Player said:
I hope you didn't take any kind of offense, though; it was just a harmless jibe at the ongoing discussion :wink: :D
It's cool. It wasn't offensive, and I'm not one of those offense-taking types anyway. :)

But honestly, i hope they can make something good in regards to the system they envisioned.
As long as this system would be more of an RPG then a FPS...

EEVIAC

Erudite
Voss said:
I'm still puzzling over how true-to-the-rules can wind up with something that isn't like the original.

I think he means what the souce material says the rules actually are vs players conceptions of the rules. I don't play PnP but I imagine its something like an argument over whether a flush beats a full house.

Dhruin

Liturgist
I'm still no clearer about the actual mechanics after reading the diary. How about some actual answers, Leonard?

Whipporowill

Erudite
Greyhawk said:
Yeah those were kinda my impressions. He wrote a whole lot without really talking about anything.

No kidding, really? At least he said some interesting stuff about the number of npc's in the game...

... now where are those screenies, Troika? I guess all Valve-related stuff is being locked down rather tightly atm - I mean there hasn't been any new H2 stuff for lterally ages!

EEVIAC

Erudite
HL2 has been delayed until September, right? So I guess we shouldn't expect this game until Q4. At least it'll be tested and polished.

aberge3

Novice
Has there ever been a decent 1st person RPG? I remember when people used to complain if the RPG wasn't completely turn based. I hate the 1st person perspetive, and hate shooters in general. How are you to coordinate people in your party or are you going to be solo in all your battles? I can't help but think that they are hoping the FPS people will buy it thinking its a shooter title and RPG fans are being screwed out of features because they no longer have a large enough perspective of their game world. The FPS view gives you tunnel vision, its not a true first perspon perspective.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom