Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info The Dark Eye: Demonicon Diary #1 - Art Style

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Silver Style; The Dark Eye: Demonicon

IGN are doing that developer diary thing again, this time with <a href="http://au.pc.ign.com/articles/969/969366p1.html">Demonicon the Dark Eye</a>. Note that there are two games about the Dark Eye and this is the Silver Style one. This diary is all about picking an art style:
<br>
<blockquote>In Silver Style's upcoming RPG, your loving foster father is a murderer... or so you've been told. As you set out to discover the truth, you also step into a tangled web of circumstances and events far greater in magnitude than you could ever have imagined. Your actions and decisions will have the potential to affect all of Aventuria, and whether you succeed on your quest may even determine its ultimate fate. Is your destiny to choose wisely or poorly?
<br>
[...]
<br>
Finding a style means having to decide on a consistent look for the game as a whole. This is far more complex than it sounds; the job is not done just by defining somewhere that all elves have pointy ears, for example.
<br>
<br>
So, we had to find a graphics style for Demonicon that fuses characters, setting and story into one consistent whole. What is special about this project is that there are requirements of the licensor we have to meet and, of course, the existence of the huge The Dark Eye fan base. Its members have a clear image in their heads, formed over many years, of how a wyvern has to look in Aventuria - just copying a picture of it is obviously not enough, however.</blockquote>
<br>
Add "Aventuria" to the list of unoriginal fantasy place names.
<br>
<br>
Thanks <b>Szioul</b>
<br>

Andhaira

Arcane
Wait, there are TWO Dark Eye games in development?One is ofcourse the sequel/prequel to drakensang. Whats this one like? Do I dare to hope it is the spiritual sequel to the realms of arkania games?

Andhaira

Arcane
Just notcied this on the devs website:

GAMES DEVELOPED BY DEV:

DWK5
Goin’ Downtown
Everlight of Magic & Power
Simon the Sorcerer 4
The Fall - Last Days of Gaia
Soldiers of Anarchy

Gorasul: The Legacy of the Dragon

RTL Boxen Extra
The Producer
Caribbean Disaster
Mad News
Mad TV

Yeah this will end well.

As you set out to discover the truth, you also step into a tangled web of circumstances and events far greater in magnitude than you could ever have imagined.
Wanna bet? :roll:

Your actions and decisions will have the potential to affect all of Aventuria, and whether you succeed on your quest may even determine its ultimate fate.
Wake me up when it's over...

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
DarkUnderlord said:

It's part of the rule set ya know? Can't change it, because it is the same name since 1984.

@AndhairaX
The team was quite successful in the past years, making mostly point-and-click adventures since they left Deep Silver and headed over to TGC. They never published the Fall addon, though.

Gorasul was their first game, probably what Fusion was for Bullfrog. An experiment (that IMHO wasn't as bad as the Codex thinks it was)

Abraxas

Scholar
Patron
Codex 2012 Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
DarkUnderlord said:

The Dark Eye is a german RPG, isn't it? Maybe "Aventuria" doesn't sound so bad for a german that does not speak english.

In related news: Jonathan Swift's "Laputa" flying island sounds exactly like "thewhore" for a spanish speaker.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Sir_Brennus said:
DarkUnderlord said:

It's part of the rule set ya know? Can't change it, because it is the same name since 1984.
Doesn't change the fact that it does sound stupid. I thought so when I was 13 and 15 years later I still think so.

Maybe "Aventuria" doesn't sound so bad for a german that does not speak english.
If you find one that plays such games. And that could prove quite the challenge. Even some 50 year olds I know who come from the former GDR and had Russian in school instead of English understand at least a little.

Andhaira

Arcane
The screenshots look nice, I have to say. Look old school, and by that I mean infinity engine age old school. I'm so tired of the in your face characters as seen in NWN, KOTOR, ME, Drgon Age, Drakensang, that its nice to see a game going for iso view.

Or so it seems. Is it too much to hope that the game is fully turnbased?

Xerxos

Novice
As far as I have heared, it's going to be a action RPG... so no, not turn based, no party, probably light on the RPG side...

Andhaira

Arcane
Wow, action rpg. Where does stupidity like this come from?

Are they trying to cash in on the success of dark alliance or something by copycating?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom