Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Fallout: The Movie and / or TV Show

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Fallout 3

<a href="http://dwellonit.blogspot.com/2009/04/fallout-television-show.html">Simple trademark protection or coming soon</a>? Though if it were simple trademark protection, why didn't they do it earlier:
<br>
<blockquote>On 5 February 2009, Bethesda Softworks LLC applied for the <b>Fallout</b> trademark for "Entertainment services in the nature of an on-going television program" (s/n 77663853) and for "motion picture films about a post-nuclear apocalyptic world" (s/n 77663852). Obviously they already own all the other US trademarks to do with this game property at present.</blockquote>
<br>
It'd be like <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jericho_(TV_series)">Jericho</a> or <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremiah_(TV_series)">Jeremiah</a>. IE: It'd be cancelled after two seasons and the film would suck.
<br>
<br>
Spotted @ <a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Flying Cock Squadron</a>

Andhaira

Arcane
Well maybe. Or maybe it will suck only for fallout fans and be a huge success commercially, like fallout 3.

Lol I hope a syndicated teevee series comes out of this. :D

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Well, Fallout 3 has the mandatory white protagonist (he's white y'know), that one black guy to appease minorities (and that guy's FAWNKY), a feisty young love interest (she's white, too, therefore perfectly romanceable). Even Harold, crazy sidekick (hilarity ensues! StopitHaroldyakillin'meh!).

Fallout 3 was made with a sitcom in mind.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
They will go around getting into wacky adventures involving raiders and mutants, and at the end of every episode discover a clue about the location of the water chip.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The only way to make it rock would be to make it retrofuturistic like the originals [no Fallout 3 wasn't really retrofuturistic] and really campy, Fallout 2 style. Not Fallout 3 style, that's not campy that's retarded. Yeah, we're probably going to get lots of retarded humour combined with dark and gritty moments of epic wastelandness.

On the other hand, some parts of FO3 were pretty neat and atmospheric and the series will not be made by Bethesda themselves since they don't do movies, so... there's a chance it will be better. Or a chance it will suck even more depending on what kinds of writers they get.

Was Jeremiah a good show? The premise sounds interesting. While I know that Jericho sucked ass.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I liked Jeremiah. I at least watched it, compared to Jericho which didn't interest me.

Mister Arkham

Scholar
I always thought that the main story to the original Fallout would make a good mini-series. Get a good writer, strip it down to four two-hour episodes, plop the cast and crew down in Death Valley, and shoot it like a Sergio Leone western.

You could probably handle the second game in much the same way, but as JarlFrank pointed out, it'd have to be pretty campy. Fallout 3 would invariably be just as much of a failure as television or film as it was as a game.

Pliskin

Arbiter
Mister Arkham said:
I always thought that the main story to the original Fallout would make a good mini-series. Get a good writer, strip it down to four two-hour episodes, plop the cast and crew down in Death Valley, and shoot it like a Sergio Leone western.

You could probably handle the second game in much the same way, but as JarlFrank pointed out, it'd have to be pretty campy. Fallout 3 would invariably be just as much of a failure as television or film as it was as a game.

It's been done

Sixstringsamurai.jpg

Tails

Arbiter
sportforredneck said:
Was Jeremiah a good show? The premise sounds interesting. While I know that Jericho sucked ass.
Well Jeremiah is best post-apo tv series I guess, it has hard moments and well those soft ones. Still those soft are more acceptable then in other tv series.

Btw. Jeremiah finished after two seasons (35 episodes) because MGM want to change it into something more family like & less offending America. Also interesting is that only first season is available on dvd.

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
SerratedBiz said:
Well, Fallout 3 has the mandatory white protagonist (he's white y'know), that one black guy to appease minorities (and that guy's FAWNKY), a feisty young love interest (she's white, too, therefore perfectly romanceable). Even Harold, crazy sidekick (hilarity ensues! StopitHaroldyakillin'meh!).

Fallout 3 was made with a sitcom in mind.

Now if those were actually interactable NPCs, we'd be getting somewhere. At the rate Bethesduh's going, they might as well pay a cardboard company to do character cut-outs for their TV series.

Ausir

Arcane
BTW, has anyone noticed how similar the plot of Fallout 3 is to Jeremiah? Much more so than The Road, which was supposedly an inspiration. Except Valhalla Sector became both Vault 101 and Raven Rock.

Also, see:

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_film

IMDb Pro lists a movie titled Fallout as being in development. According to IMDb Pro, the producers are Sriram Das, Ara Katz, and Art Spigel (of which the latter two produced George Romero's Diary of the Dead), and the writers are Milton Hernandez and Andre Fonseca. The plot summary is "In a post-apocalyptic world, three friends struggle to survive."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom