Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview A Very Survival Horror Type Of Setting....

Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Fallout 3

...in Fallout 3's Point Lookout. Gaming Giant did <a href="http://www.gogaminggiant.com/2009/06/fallout-3-point-lookout-interview/">an interview</a> with Bethesda's Jeff Gardiner, asking the tough questions<blockquote><b>Will it feature new achievements?</b>
<br>

<br>
Yes there are four new achievements.</blockquote>as well as finding out just how true to the spirit of Fallout this is and in no way more of Bethesda trying to shoehorn cheap horror into the franchise.<blockquote>There the player will uncover a mystery in a very ‘survival horror’ type of setting.
<br>
[...]
<br>
The main quest will lead you to investigating a mysterious cult of locals who have taken over the area by infiltrating them. There are also approximately half a dozen side quests, which include delving into a mystery of Consance Blackhall and her occult obsession, helping a local whose sick and needs a special tonic, and helping a local kid who hasn’t been mutated from years of living off swamp water.</blockquote>There's also a bunch of information that has been repeated over and over in other previews, in case you haven't heard anything about Point Lookout.
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.nma-fallout.com/">No Mutants Allowed</A>

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Can't really call it a survival horror since Fallout 3 gives you fucking shitloads of bullets and meds, and enemy encounter music completely eliminates any eerie atmosphere that may have been there.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Will it feature new achievements?

No. No, there will be no new achievements. The very concept of achievements is idiotic. Are you a moron or just retarded?
helping a local whose sick and needs a special tonic
That doesn't answer the question.
and helping a local kid who hasn’t been mutated from years of living off swamp water.
...to finally show some mutations?
You sick, retarded fuck.

(Sry, it's early and I'm grumpy. Don't really give a fuck about FO3 or incompetent lickspittle "journalists".)

Pliskin

Arbiter
Fat Dragon said:
Can't really call it a survival horror since Fallout 3 gives you fucking shitloads of bullets and meds, and enemy encounter music completely eliminates any eerie atmosphere that may have been there.

Sure you can.

"Can you survive the horror of playing the abomination that is Fallout 3?"

There ya go.

Barrow_Bug

Cipher
Pliskin said:
Fat Dragon said:

Sure you can.

"Can you survive the horror of playing the abomination that is Fallout 3?"

There ya go.

ZING!

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Shannow said:
(Sry, it's early and I'm grumpy. Don't really give a fuck about FO3 or incompetent lickspittle "journalists".)
Interestingly enough, this is the period of time when I make most of my posts, and then later in the day, back into the sane, in the evening I log back into the Codex more relaxed, and I see the stuff I have written...

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You discover a secret cult in a swamp?
What's with Bethesda and cults?
Cult of Atom
Cult of Harold
Now this.
Also, 10 bucks says the cult is called The Esoteric Order of Dagon and the mutated people look fishy.

Barrow_Bug

Cipher
JarlFrank said:
Cult of Atom
Cult of Harold
Now this.
Also, 10 bucks says the cult is called The Esoteric Order of Dagon and the mutated people look fishy.

Cult of Boredom, amirite?

Black Cat

Magister
JarlFrank said:
Cult of Atom
Cult of Harold
Now this.

At first i saw that like "The Esoteric Order Of Dagon And The Mutated People Who Looks Fishy" and was, like, having images of Deep Ones with top hats, monocles, and walking sticks living in a comunity built on top an around a rusty nuclear submarine lost in the depths of some greenly light marsh with a rustic, rotten treetop village all around and, i mean, how is that NOT amazing?

Then i re-read it all. Fuuuu and other asorted memes, etc.

Luzur

Good Sir
29djymf.jpg

*Achievement unlocked!*

MetalCraze

Arcane
JarlFrank said:
Cult of Atom
Cult of Harold
Now this.

Also we totally didn't infiltrate anyone since The Pitt!

bhlaab

Erudite
I'll be honest, I'm actually really interested in this one.

It's not like Fallout hasn't dabbled in horror before, and I think the Fallout world has a lot more breathing room in it than just "brown desert"

The chance that they'll screw it up is... well, probable. But the concept alone is interesting and worth a chance. Unlike, for example, Operation Anchorage and Broken Steel where the whole thing is just one big "What's the fucking point?"

The Pitt I haven't played yet and while I understand it has some gameplay issues, it seems conceptually worth checking out as well.

bhlaab

Erudite
Clockwork Knight said:
I heard the Pitt is good, there isn't an "absolute monster" and "nice guy" choice. Hard decision in the end.

I'm skeptical but I'm willing to give it a chance.

Regardless of revisionist history, Fallout 3 did have some pretty good quests (And Fallout 1 had some pretty bad ones as well) as well as a few inspired moments.

I think Bethesda has no idea how to develop RPG gameplay systems, but their quests, writing, and presentation could be quite good if they actually focused on that instead of going for quantity over quality. And stopped trying to automate half of the design process (like making all NPCs generic, randomly generating terrain, tile-based dungeons, level scaling algorithms instead of hand placing things intelligently)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom