Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Adrenaline Vault likes HotU

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of the Underdark

<a href=http://www.avault.com>Adrenaline Vault</a> posted this <a href=http://www.avault.com/reviews/review_temp.asp?game=hotu>detailed review</a> of <a href=http://nwn.bioware.com/underdark>HotU</a>, going on and on about uber classes and crafting. They gave it <b>4 out of 5</b> overall
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>In fact, the game’s AI has never been adept at things like pathfinding or stalking the player in a pack without getting in the way of other enemies. (Unfortunately, this extends to your own familiars and companions, who are still unable to avoid walking headlong into traps and getting stuck behind doors.) It’s possible to use this to your advantage, though, as I did whenever I encountered a tough foe that also happened to move slowly. I’d just find an area big enough to run around in circles, keeping away from the enemy while shooting one or two arrows into him at a time. If I did it right, I could take him down without ever being hurt. This doesn’t mean I was abusing an exploit; in order for that technique to work, I had to spend points in the “tumble” skill, allowing me to avoid attacks of opportunity when the monster got close and giving me abilities that enabled me to shoot arrows faster. Furthermore, I had to pass up opportunities to buy skills that would’ve increased my ability to fight the creatures toe-to-toe. The difficulty in Underdark is, therefore, up to the player. If you prepare adequately for each battle and choose skills that complement your style of play, the game will be fairly easy. If you just wing it and click repeatedly on the bad guys, a la Diablo, you’ll find yourself screaming at the screen pretty often.
<br>
<br>
The actual difficulty settings haven’t changed since the original Neverwinter Nights. Rather than altering the number or toughness of your enemies, they focus on how strictly the D&D rules are adhered to. On the easier levels, the player character is immune to critical hits and other unpleasant rolls of the dice, while all the disadvantages of the game apply to monsters. The most challenging setting is known as D&D Hardcore Rules, which gives the player no breaks at all.</blockquote>
<br>
Yeah, Bio's done a great job tweaking and "interpreting" DnD rules, making then more "user-friendly" for those who never open the manual. I remember all the bitching about ToEE bugs that turned out to be rules. No wonder, Leon is saying now that sticking with the rules is not such a good idea after all.
<br>
This is from the Atari ToEE's forums:
<br>
<b>Things you wish you had known (before starting the game):</b>
<br>
<i>Wizards can copy scrolls to their spellbook (but Sorcerers cannot)</i>
<br>
'nuff said
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.gengamers.com">GenGamers</A>

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
VD, The same thing happened with NWN as well with people complaining about "bugs" that were actual rules. It goes with the terrirtory with D&D games (except POR2 which wasn't D&D despite the myth).

Sol Invictus

Erudite
AVault.com isn't very good for their game reviews. Many of those tend to be biased, such as their Battle Realms review which gives 5 (!!!) stars to every single critereon. I just go there for the editorials, which are by far some of the best written editorials I've ever read on gaming, unlike the crap that gets spewed out by Gamespy every couple of weeks.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Exitium said:
AVault.com isn't very good for their game reviews. Many of those tend to be biased, such as their Battle Realms review which gives 5 (!!!) stars to every single critereon. I just go there for the editorials, which are by far some of the best written editorials I've ever read on gaming, unlike the crap that gets spewed out by Gamespy every couple of weeks.

That may hold true with some of the reviewers there, yes. But there are a couple there who take their reviews seriously and it's those ones I tend to pay attention to. You'll find that the decent reviews come from staff that have been there since the beginning. But, yes, the main reason I go to Avault is for their editorials. Good stuff indeed. :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom