Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review IGN: Silent Storm is a Treasure

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Tags: Nival Interactive; Silent Storm

<a href="http://www.nival.com/eng/s2_info.html" target="blank">Silent Storm</a> never ceases to amaze the <a href="http://www.whitehouse.gov">American</a> public as much as it amazed the European public and this continues with <a href="http://pc.ign.com/articles/475/475977p1.html?fromint=1" target="blank">IGN's latest review</a> of the title. This is what they had to say about the tactical turn-based game:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Remember the big deal everyone made over Red Faction's destructible environments? Well, Silent Storm takes much the same approach allowing players to completely demolish everything around them. Like X-COM before it, Silent Storm requires you to watch out for (unintentional) collateral damage. Fire blindly into a warehouse full of oil barrels and try not to look so surprised when the whole structure explodes in front of you. Grenade explosions and rifle fire will rip the leaves off of trees, sometimes leaving your target more exposed than before. Toss a grenade against the back wall of a building to make a convenient back door entrance for yourself. Just hope that the enemy doesn't happen to be looking at that back wall when it blows. This even works on a smaller, more detailed level. Puffs of smoke and dust erupt from bullet impacts and, if you shoot enough, you can even shoot small holes in building walls.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Silent Storm is a literally <b>explosive</b> experience.

Voss

Erudite
Nah.

The explosions are about the only use I've found for the PKs though. Just had a mission where I had several standing off and shelling a building. Then my scouts snuck in to comb through the rubble for clues. And I do mean rubble- only thing relatively intact was the basement.

Sadly, it turned out there had been a number of civilans in the building, but fotunes of war and all that, I guess...

Overall I find the PKs are much less effective than a scout with good hide and throwing scores (and some tasty perks too), but it gets excessive. Single throw kills with a knife through a second story window from the ground outside seems excessive. Particularly when you manage it three times in a row.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom