Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial RPGWatch Reminisces About Battlespire

Tags: An Elder Scrolls Legend: Battlespire; Bethesda Softworks

The Watch has <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/article?articleid=124&page=1">a very nice writeup looking back at the Elder Scrolls spinoff game, Battlespire</a>. It's detailed, and goes into every facet of the game piece by piece. If you haven't played it yet, this is the article to find out whether or not it would be worth checking in to. And it may even fire up some nostalgic feelings in people who played it already.<blockquote>That's how Battlespire feels: like a hardcore expansion for Daggerfall, focused entirely on more challenging dungeon delving, and stripped of the world exploration, towns, and quests from the original game.
<br>

<br>
If you played Daggerfall for the dungeons, there's a good chance you'll like this game. However, if you played Daggerfall for the towns, guild advancement, or townie quests, Battlespire is probably not your cup of tea.
<br>

<br>
On the other hand, Battlespire has the best level design of any Elder Scrolls game. Each level has a unique architecture, giving it a distinct visual style. All of the level architecture is unique and hand-crafted. Very seldom do two rooms look the same, so you never feel like you are playing through the same room copy-n-pasted a dozen times over.</blockquote>Though per Codex regulation, I'll satisfy my nitpicking quota by saying that I can't agree with the author's thoughts later in the article on boss fights existing in combat-centric games. I think a good boss fight that is well designed to the combat system can be a great way to close out a game. Still, it's a great piece...go read it.
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://rpgwatch.com/">RPGWatch</A>

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom