Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Obsidian is hiring

Ausir

Arcane
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment; Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords

<a target=_blank href=http://www.obsidianent.com>Obsidian Entertainment</a> is advertising <a target=_blank href=http://www.obsidianent.com/jobs/index.html>several positions</a> on their website. They're looking for a Level/Environment Artist, Senior and Junior Designers and a Gameplay Programmer, all for work on one of their upcoming RPGs.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgdot.com">RPGDot</A>

johannesprix

Novice
At least a year of experience in computer game design or related computer development field, preferably with RPGs.
B/w, if anybody in here is looking for an opportunity to collect game design experience, did I mention that we're always looking for more content, characters, stuff, ... at the FreeDroidRPG project? Of course there are suitable credits for any work done, but no money from there, only credits and experience... Well, just a thought :)

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
johannesprix said:
At least a year of experience in computer game design or related computer development field, preferably with RPGs.
B/w, if anybody in here is looking for an opportunity to collect game design experience, did I mention that we're always looking for more content, characters, stuff, ... at the FreeDroidRPG project? Of course there are suitable credits for any work done, but no money from there, only credits and experience... Well, just a thought :)

Curious. What exactly would it entail? Is there some time frame i should look at (ie, a month or so to contribute something)? What programming languages, if any, would be required? What aspect of design are you after: game mechanics, animations, level design, etc?

johannesprix

Novice
Role-Player said:
Curious. What exactly would it entail? Is there some time frame i should look at (ie, a month or so to contribute something)? What programming languages, if any, would be required? What aspect of design are you after: game mechanics, animations, level design, etc?
Well, content mostly, and that is fairly broad. We've been critized a lot for weak storyline, but also the classical things like item database, modifiers, game balancing that are quite under-developed. That's because noone is working on them right now. Only Simon is doing some level-editing, but worlds are hard to build for one alone :) Anyway, if you'd want me to say you did it all almost alone, I'd sign that too if it helped you to get you that assignment :)

ArcturusXIV

Cipher
I wish I knew how to do all this programming and stuff. *sigh* Writing game ideas out on paper with no way to apply them is no fun... :S

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Nice. I'm interested in seeing what i can do with it, as i'd actually like to help, and also get a feel of how game design works on all fronts. I should point out i have no knowledge of programming languages unfortunately :( I do have this bulky C++ manual somewhere around here, but i still haven«t gotten around to reading it. Seems i've found a reason to.

I'll only be able to focus on helping you and the project towards the end of the month, though; i have some personal things to take care of. If i can be of any help, let me know :)

johannesprix

Novice
Role-Player said:
I should point out i have no knowledge of programming languages unfortunately :( I do have this bulky C++ manual somewhere around here, but i still haven«t gotten around to reading it. Seems i've found a reason to.
Well, that's cool. Learning new skills is always fine :) However, you won't be needing coding skills very much, especially at the start. If you want some feature of the game engine, that isn't currently implemented, best thing is to tell me about it. We have this new irc channel and since my DSL connection is now up, there's also ICQ as a possibility, as well as direct e-mail or the mailing list. The content is mostly the problem. Implementing that with the dialog editor/events and triggers/mission entries can be complicated enough for the start... :)

UPDATE: Also I should mention the build tools and cvs system as things that might need to be discussed before you can start fixing bugs or implementing new features. Without cvs and a proper build environment, you can't even compile the present code, much less make useful changes to the existing codebase. (Also, for code changes, you'd have to learn quite a bit about the present code, so you understand what's going on and can do the right thing.) So best one thing after the other. You might want to discuss these issues a bit on the channel or something, once you find the time and feel like getting a bit into it. That should be perfect.

triCritical

Erudite
Feargus:

How much does a gameplay programmer make these days?

EDIT: And will this person be laid off in the near future and/or sent to India?;)

Feargus Urquhart

Obsidian Entertainment
Developer
Game Programmer Salaries...

Depending on their abilities and the company game programmers generally make between $35K and $115K.

Human Shield

Augur
I've heard that competition for game programmer jobs is tough, creating lower pay on average, along with weak job security.

Spazmo

Erudite
triCritical said:
How much does a gameplay programmer make these days?

Trying to score a job at Obsidian, tri? Give 'em hell. Feel free to put the Codex as a reference on the 'ol resume.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom