Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview BioWare's continually refined storytelling abilities

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: BioWare; Dragon Age

<a href="http://gameinformer.com/games/dragon_age_origins/b/ps3/archive/2009/09/29/Preview.aspx">Take it away GameInformer</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>The most impressive aspect of Dragon Age thus far is BioWare’s continually refined storytelling abilities. Usually, the more narrative freedom a game offers players, the more diluted that story becomes, with generic cutscenes and a series of isolated plot points. Dragon Age seems like a prime candidate for such a problem, with its six different introductions to the game via the Origin stories and the continued effects that your race and class choices have on your interactions with NPCs – not to mention the innumerable decisions you make throughout the game. But in our time with Dragon Age, something strange happened; BioWare somehow kept the plot potent, the characters unique, and cutscenes cinematic – all to a level usually reserved for highly linear games. We’ve yet to see everything Dragon Age has to offer, but ultimately the game’s biggest success might be the balance between telling you a story and letting you meaningfully affect that story with the choices you make.
<br>
[...]
<br>
Trust us, it all comes in handy; some of the enemies you face are as cunning as they are dastardly, employing traps, ambushes, and powerful spells. The game successfully endows a real sense of survival. The first few missions we played outside of the main camp not only left our party (and gaming ego) mortally wounded, but imparted a sense of urgency to get back to safety so they could rest and recover – and to give us a break from the tense and tactically heavy battles. While the combat can feel overwhelming at times, health and stamina quickly regenerate after battles, and a forgiving autosave staves off any feeling of frustration. So far Dragon Age has just been *** fun.</blockquote>
<br>
"The adventure starts November 3rd." Meanwhile, if you want the history of BioWare, <a href="http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gamecloud.nl%2Fnieuws%2F7238%2Fontwikkelaar-special-bioware%2F&sl=nl&tl=en&history_state0=">head to GameCloud [via google translator]</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>Within one years was the first BioWare game on the market, the PC-mech action game Shattered Steel. The development of this game BioWare hired its first employees, who are also still working with the company. Eventually the game was 200,000 on the counter, which was not a success but enough to continue. Augustine Yip in 1997 left the company to still return to the medical world. This Greg and Ray were still only at the helm of the growing company.</blockquote>
<br>
From little things big things grow. Finally on the BioWare / Dragon Age front, <a href="http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gamehunters/post/2009/09/an-actress-at-the-helm-of-dragon-age-origins/1">an interview with voice-over girl Kate Mulgrew</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>How did you become involved with Dragon Age: Origins?
<br>
Mulgrew: I was just offered the part and I thought she was so splendid. Flemeth is a really interesting character and a very unusual kind of character for me. And I love to use my voice in that way, that sort of harmonic way. I also thought the people at BioWare were particularly professional. I love their approach.</blockquote>
<br>
Spotted @ <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com">GameBanshee</a>

racofer

Thread Incliner
2sb0kdg.gif

aries202

Erudite
Syraxis said:
health and stamina quickly regenerate after battles

:x

Yes, they do.

However, if you read the whole preview you will see that one of the party member is deafened, another has a cracked skull and a third one has head trauma. Unless these injuries are treated back at camp....something bad could happen...Also, these injuries stack; it is quite possible to have an npc that has both a cracked skull, is deaf, and has an injury in his arm and a leg. All these persistent injuries will penalise your stats...

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Maybe they can hire Dan Brown to continually refine some more.

Why are most people gibbering idiots, yet, i meet people smarter than me every day?

Texas Red

Whiner
aries202 said:
Syraxis said:
health and stamina quickly regenerate after battles

:x

Yes, they do.

However, if you read the whole preview you will see that one of the party member is deafened, another has a cracked skull and a third one has head trauma. Unless these injuries are treated back at camp....something bad could happen...Also, these injuries stack; it is quite possible to have an npc that has both a cracked skull, is deaf, and has an injury in his arm and a leg. All these persistent injuries will penalise your stats...

I'm pretty sure it would involve nothing more than going to a town/village/city x and spending a few hundred gold pieces when you have about 3 million in your pocket. I'd be surprised if the injury is difficult to get rid of or if the treatment would cost enough for you to choose between a new weapon or the treatment.

Warden

Arbiter
Dark Individual said:
I'm pretty sure it would involve nothing more than going to a town/village/city x and spending a few hundred gold pieces when you have about 3 million in your pocket. I'd be surprised if the injury is difficult to get rid of or if the treatment would cost enough for you to choose between a new weapon or the treatment.

You can heal the wound on the spot, as well, if you have a healing kit.

If battles are set up as even a full health party can die, then health regenerating after battles isn't a problem. It just removes that "fuck fuck must get to town quick" feeling that you get when evryone is low on health; you'd just get that during combat, not during and between

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
But it removes longer-time planning element. Should I use my last Cure Light Wounds for healing the tank or save it incase I meet a missed guard or something and someone gets down to 1 hp?

Now it's just go in guns blazing WHOOO HELL YEAH! And pick your nose for thirty secs before continuing.

As in, it's:

stalingrad.jpg

while I would prefer it to be more like:

itikirj2.gif

Warden

Arbiter
GarfunkeL said:
But it removes longer-time planning element. Should I use my last Cure Light Wounds for healing the tank or save it incase I meet a missed guard or something and someone gets down to 1 hp?

Yes. I enjoy this element.

Lingwe

Liturgist
The adventure starts November 3rd

Weren't Mass Effect and Dragon Age announced to be new RPGs being developed at the same time? And now Mass Effect's sequel is being released before Dragon Age.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
IT'S THE STORY MAN!

The huge, epic, mature, gritty, dark heroic fantasy story, which required years and years of careful pondering. And the creation of this insanely huge and original, never-before-seen fantasy world where you can immerse yourself completely.

Also, never forget the blood. Someone had to paint all those textures.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Dark Individual said:

Inns in RPG's can cure cancer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom