Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Bloodlines Previewed at 1UP

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Tags: Troika Games; Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

1UP has decided to cover <a href="http://www.troikagames.com>Troika</a>'s latest RPG in development, <a href="http://www.vampirebloodlines.com/">Bloodlines</a>, by writing up a <a href="http://www.1up.com/article2/0,4364,1537026,00.asp">fairly thorough preview</a> on the subject. The article describes Troika's involvement with White Wolf, a basic introduction to the game's storyline and settting, the engine technology and so forth. Here's something interesting:
<br>
<blockquote>
<br>
Troika is using the same implementation of Havok, but it appears from our initial showing that much of Half-Life's proposed physics-driven interactivity is being left out in favor of more conventional conversations and combat. For instance, every useable object in Bloodlines is bounded by flashing colors or some kind of box, which conveys to players the option to read the book or turn the door knob. It doesn't have the same feel as knowing just about everything you see can be used in some way or another. But again, since the game is more akin to a character driven DX or SS and less like straight action, this may not ultimately hamper the final experience.
<br>
<br>
An excess of tumbling crates not withstanding, I do believe the natural abilities of the Vampire and the empowerment using them should bring needs work before the game's proposed release later this year. Just about every situation encountered has three solutions: combat, stealth, conversation. Stealthily penetrating a building is a good example for this purpose. In the demo, entering a beach house covertly involved wandering to the edge of a waist high broken down picket fence, plucking one preset board off of the fence (because all the pretty flashing colors told me to) and then crawling through, eventually coming around back and opening a door. Wow. I couldn't help but wonder why this powerful vampire who had it in his mind to slaughter these surfing arms dealers didn't just leap onto the roof of the place, crash through the window and start tossing people around like ragdolls? Something a little more appropriate than pulling a board off a fence would be nice.
<br>
</blockquote>
<br>
This reminds me of one of those <a href="http://www.oldmanmurray.com/features/78.html">nonsensical god-awful puzzles</a> in Gabriel Knight 3. The illusion of 'freedom' in your actions in Bloodlines seems like a very blatant prefabricated choice in this case. One would have hoped that the Source Engine's physics would have offered much more randomness and freedom in problem solving. It would seem that the technology employed in Bloodlines is all for naught in terms of gameplay enhancement.
<br>
<br>
Thanks for the news tip, <b>Role-Player</b>.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Way to go, Troika. Why don't you just put in an auto-play mode so the player doesn't have to think or do anything?

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I think we already addressed this in #fallout. No, I did not read it wrongly.

Please, don't expect me to be biased in favor of Troika just because we're supposed to like them here or something.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I guess this goes in-theme with the whole "gaming for the lowest common denominator" extravaganza that's currently sweeping all American development studios. I guess it's time for us to look to Europe for something more intelligent.

It's kind of like the whole Creative Assembly (UK) is greater than all American strategy development teams stream of logic.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Greyhawk said:
Wow, I was hoping for some serious environmental interactions... but if every usable object is outlined in flashing colours... :x
Moron indicators :lol:

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Yeah, I went on about how they were moron indicators in #fallout earlier. It's nice to see that we're on the same train of thought.

As for Stardock, Stardock sucks. End of story.

LCJr.

Erudite
I just can't help thinking this thing's going to go down like the Titanic.

Whipporowill

Erudite
What's with the shark attitude, heh?

(and looking at the high-res version of the movies, it seems it's similar to the way it worked in DX1 - item you can interact with highlights when you're facing it)

ArcturusXIV

Cipher
This game sounds more disappointing every time I hear about it. The gameplay linearity doesn't appeal to me at all. This seems like a step backward (considering the interactivity the Source Engine allows), not a step forward in terms of gameplay.

LCJr.

Erudite
Oh, the shark, babe, has such teeth, dear
And it shows them pearly white
Just a jackknife has old MacHeath, babe
And he keeps it, ah, out of sight
Ya know when that shark bites with his teeth, babe
Scarlet billows start to spread
Fancy gloves, oh, wears old MacHeath, babe
So there’s never, never a trace of red

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Greyhawk said:
Wow, I was hoping for some serious environmental interactions... but if every usable object is outlined in flashing colours...

I has something similar to this happen to me once during an acid flashback a couple years back...

LCJr.

Erudite
I has something similar to this happen to me once during an acid flashback a couple years back...

That's nothing I have seen the fat man melt. "I know you rider gonna miss me when I'm gone."

Nightjed

Liturgist
Exitium said:
Troika is using the same implementation of Havok, but it appears from our initial showing that much of Half-Life's proposed physics-driven interactivity is being left out in favor of more conventional conversations and combat. For instance, every useable object in Bloodlines is bounded by flashing colors or some kind of box, which conveys to players the option to read the book or turn the door knob. It doesn't have the same feel as knowing just about everything you see can be used in some way or another.
the hell ? so i wont be able to take a vampire with maxed str, take down the wall and rip the damn meatbags into pieces ? so why the hell did they add havok to it ? so that it could waste cpu power computing all those pretty boxes rolling arround ? thats so ... max payne 2 :evil:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom