Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Origin reportedly really dead for good this time

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: Origin Systems

It's been years since Origin Systems has been effectively dead--ever since <a href=http://www.ea.com>EA</a> bought the company and turned it into a live support team for Ultima Online. But now, even the hollow shell of Origin is apparently quite dead, according to this <a href=http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/ultimaonline/news_6089911.html>news item</a> on <a href="http://www.gamespot.com/pc">Gamespot PC</a>.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>According to AustinXL, tomorrow Electronic Arts will shutter its internal studio Origin Systems, developers of Ultima Online. The Austin, Texas, business newsletter stated that "employees will be offered an opportunity to relocate to California or accept a severance package." Sources tell GameSpot the move would affect at least 100 Origin staffers.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Well, I don't think anyone ought to shed any tears over this. Origin has been dead for years now. This is just the funeral. Besides, if it means EA is low on money... HOORAY!

EvoG

Erudite
This is actually kinda sad. Along with Looking Glass ( coincidence that they worked together ) they made the first RPG I ever played on my C64, U4. I was a die hard fan through the years, pretty much up until U8 Pagan, which was just awful. At that point RG was leaving because of EA, and shit just went downhill from there.

I don't know if any of you would care, but its something how a big part of my gaming life was Origin and moreso Ultima. First RPG was Ultima4, first PC game was U6 and, it all came full circle as I just finished working on UXO. Crazy I started as a fan and ended up contributing to the name, albeit much skewed from its original incarnation, but nonetheless a title with Ultima in it.

I won't shed tears for Origin as it is now, but for the Origin that once was.

Cheers

P.S. oh, and EA is FAR from low on money...yikes

Voss

Erudite
Sorry Spaz, it doesn't mean they're low on money. It just a reallocation of resources- long run, it will probably save them money.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
It doesn't mean that EA's low on money. It just means that that EA is consolidating its smaller assets into its larger ones for better production coordination and it saves them money by having a few large outlets across the country instead of many small ones with independent developing teams. Line directors will have an easier job coordinating their projects that way and developers won't have to wait for hours to release product candidates via e-mail and FTP.

Sharpei_Diem

Liturgist
The first one I played was U3 and it blew me away....lol, i recall it actually counted the keystrokes you made as you played the game....I didnt get to 1,000,000, but definately got in the 000,000s and i can still summon the theme song in my head at any time....good memories. Where did i find the time?

hmph, hopefully the name won't be plundered like Atarigrames...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom