Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Risen is a piece of shit

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Risen

<a href="http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/risen-pc-review">EuroGamer don't like Risen so much</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>Not many games get a second chance to make a first impression, but enough readers felt Risen's shonky Xbox 360 port shouldn't count against the apparently superior PC version that we thought we should investigate that one as well.
<br>
[...]
<br>
So, sorry Risen apologists, but even when viewed in its best light, Risen simply isn't anything special. Despite being Gothic 4 in all but name, Piranha Bytes has brought little that is new to its creaking formula and the elements that are worthwhile are all but smothered under a design ethos that confuses length for depth.</blockquote>
<br>
<a href="http://gamesquad.com/node/592">GameSquad don't like it either</a>, scoring it a poor 4/10:
<br>
<blockquote>The game is also unforgiving difficulty throughout, not only because of the horrible combat, but also from Risen refusing to give the player information about potential enemies. Because of this reticence, a player will not know the difficulty of an enemy until he is engaged in combat. Again, this will result in more than a few quick reloads.
<br>
[...]
<br>
Fans of Risen will say that the game is a throwback to the old days when RPGs were hardcore, but hardcore doesn’t always mean fun.</blockquote>
<br>
If you guessed that the next line was "RPGs have evolved quite a lot over the last ten years, and Piranha Bytes seems content with not being a part of that innovation", you win a prize.
<br>
<br>
Spotted @ <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com">GameBanshee</a>

Fens

Ford of the Llies
nah... risen is shit because it is too long:

It really is a shame, because I think with a smoother implementation of many of the ideas, there's a substantial core here that fans of WRPGs might really enjoy. But they'll have to be able to put a lot of time into the game: I have to confess that I haven't beaten Risen. In fact, I haven't come close - despite sinking about 10 hours into the game, I'm still in the early stages and the introduction thanks to repeated deaths in combat, having to grind to be able to actually learn skills, and the general slow pace of the game.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/article ... view-Risen

for more *facepalm* from *facepalm* central, watch the attached video

Felix

Arcane
they are pc reviews, and that Dan guy seem butthurt, use the term apologist in a review.

mondblut

Arcane
some idiot said:
I was given the task of finding someone to relieve a person of his duty of shoveling pig manure at the Monastery... All three gave the same response of “No Way”

*Imagine* that. I mean, I approach few random people on a street, ask them to shovel pig manure, and they all respond is "No way"???

some idiot said:
The quest text mentioned a secret room that can only be accessed by activating a switch found behind a picture on the wall. I then spent the next thirty minutes investigating each and every picture on the wall

Shurely every picture on a wall hiding a switch to open a secret room should have a large neon "HERE BE SWITCH TO OPEN A SECRET ROOM" sign next to it. Else the owner might forget or something.

I'd love to lock up these faggots in a room with a 386 and only Wizardry 6 on it for a year, and watch through the peephole as they are slowly going hysterically insane. And I didn't even touch Risen.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Wow, the Eurogamer review is... wow. So let's take this slowly, they scored it 6/10 because character models are ugly, tutorial is uninformative and long ( really now??? it took me 10 minutes to get out of the intro area), and the map is 'rudimentary' (on noes, no quest compass). Also, I don't get the 'languid pace' part. It's a fucking open ended game, it moves at the pace you set for yourself.

And contrary to the reviewer's belief, the first half is best part of the game, I think we can all agree on that. With all the interesting machinations going on in the swamp camp, and the superb faction play in Harbor Town, it's solid stuff to say the least. Didn't try the Monastary as I chose a hunter's path, but I imagine there are plenty of interesting quests going on there as well.

So basically, Risen gets slammed because it's not 'accessible'. Didn't even read the other review posted in the news article (though I imagine the reasons for the poor score are largely the same), I've had enough stupid for today.

Fens

Ford of the Llies
mondblut said:
some idiot wrote:
The quest text mentioned a secret room that can only be accessed by activating a switch found behind a picture on the wall. I then spent the next thirty minutes investigating each and every picture on the wall

Shurely every picture on a wall hiding a switch to open a secret room should have a large neon "HERE BE SWITCH TO OPEN A SECRET ROOM" sign next to it. Else the owner might forget or something.

awesome... the quest giver sends you to the washing room (only one room with bathtubs in the building) which has literally 2 pictures

Trojan_generic

Magister
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
fastpunk said:
So basically, Risen gets slammed because it's not 'accessible'.

Yes, and this is why computers should only have a text-based interface à la MS-DOS to keep idiots playing their Tetris on Wii and keeping their mouth shut about games they are too stupid to play.

Just read the reviews. Honestly, is this yet another level of idiocy reached? Like Mondblut, I haven't bought (nor downloaded...) Risen. I may in the future, but the arguments they put forth are amazing. People really are dumbing down at a rapid pace.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Fens said:
nah... risen is shit because it is too long:

It really is a shame, because I think with a smoother implementation of many of the ideas, there's a substantial core here that fans of WRPGs might really enjoy. But they'll have to be able to put a lot of time into the game: I have to confess that I haven't beaten Risen. In fact, I haven't come close - despite sinking about 10 hours into the game, I'm still in the early stages and the introduction thanks to repeated deaths in combat, having to grind to be able to actually learn skills, and the general slow pace of the game.
Shit like this really pisses me off. It seems almost everyone has either forgotten what constitutes a full game or never knew it in the place. Well here's a little something to "educate" these idiots.

The PROPER definitions of games in regards to length:

<blockquote>~40 hours: a full game

50-70 hours: a long game. Not many in this category.

70+ hours: an epic, uberlong game. Other than strategy and Elder Scrolls games, I can't think of any.

15-30 hours: a short game. And this is what most retards consider to be "long."

5-15 hours: A very short game. The industry standard. Jesus Christ.

Less than 5 hours: not a game.</blockquote>
Fuck the mainstream definitions. What I posted is the truth and if other people would pull their heads out of their asses they would realize it too.

Seboss

Liturgist
Meanwhile, 9/10+ reviews for Dragon Age keep piling up...
Eurogamer only gave it 8/10 however. Could it be that they have higher standards than other mainstream sites?

EDIT:
Eurogamer rated both Oblivion and Fable 2 as 10/10. Just saying.
ah... (and FO3 as well)

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Well, Risen does suck. They just gave all the wrong reasons.

Except you fuckheads don't get what he's saying about length. Of course he's not saying it's too long, that would be like banging your own head against the wall. He's saying that what you have to do, the actual gameplay, during the hours you spend with the game, is so fucking boring the hours stretch on for infinity.

In this, at least, he is right. A shame none of them mention the retarded dialogue, total lack of baggroundinformation, or flat characters.

awesome... the quest giver sends you to the washing room (only one room with bathtubs in the building) which has literally 2 pictures

You're right. If he couldn't find it, he should be send to a special place where they take care of special people. However, I did find the picture, but the game's damn triggersystem is so insensitive I had to click 'activate' for 10 minutes from 50 different angels before it ackknowledged the fact that I found the painting.

Ch1ef

Scholar
Risen is a large and stinky piece of shit.

But that's just my two cents right there :smugcodex:

Tycn

Savant
The Eurogamer review is done by the same person who thinks The Witcher is a bad RPG... because you're forced to play as Geralt.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
The reason why all these sites are giving Risen poor reviews?

Piranha Bytes isn't that big a studio, and they didn't pay the sites off well enough...if at all.

Even the stat increasing - ostensibly the meat of any RPG - felt flawed and hamhanded. When you level up, you earn Learning Points which can't be spent right away, but must be redeemed at trainers (along with money) in order to purchase your upgrades. You use the same points for, say, Blacksmithing, increasing your Strength or increasing your skill with a sword, so if you get some in-depth training as a smith or metalworker, best hope you aren't going to get into any fights anytime soon! This results in having to grind not just for levels for extra LP, but for gold as well, just because you needed an extra +1 Agility.

Yes, a guy that spent all his time training combat is going to be better at it than the one that decided to learn some smithing. Shocking, eh

RuySan

Augur
People can have their opinion, but saying that the graphics are poor (both in the escapist and eurogamer reviews) is just plain false.

The game is one of the best looking i've ever played, and by saying this games graphics are poor, they had to say Oblivion looks like dog shit.

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
While Risen being a good game is at least up to discussion, Eurolamer having double standards is a fact:

Oblivion: 10/10
Fallout 3: 10/10
Fable 2: 10/10
Witcher: 7/10
Morrowind: 8/10
Drakensang 8/10

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Fens said:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/article ... view-Risen

Escapist is still "reviewing" games while not having gone through even half of it? I'm impressed by their consistency.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Tolknaz said:
While Risen being a good game is at least up to discussion, Eurolamer having double standards is a fact:

Oblivion: 10/10
Fallout 3: 10/10
Fable 2: 10/10
Witcher: 7/10
Morrowind: 8/10
Drakensang 8/10

:?

godsend1989

Scholar
Divinity: Original Sin
Well at Dragon age you complained about the game being to easy even at hard difficulty now at Risen you say its to hard ? The game doesn't have replayability though i tried to play as a mage but i got bored in the first chapter it doesn't change much. The game is hard because they want it to be like that, just like the other gothic games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom