Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview New Bloodlines Developer Diary at GameSpot

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: Troika Games; Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

<a href="http://www.gamespot.com/pc">Gamespot PC</a> have another helping of <a href=http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/vtmb/preview_6091931.html>Developer Diary</a> from <b>Leon Boyarsky</b> talking all about <a href=http://www.vampirebloodlines.com>Bloodlines</a> and how they're trying to make the game non-linear (probably because they know Saint will rip them a new one if they don't).
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Another way we like to give the feel of nonlinearity is through letting players have their own motivations for going on certain quests in the game. Let's say there's a main quest that players need to accomplish in the game. If everyone needs to do it, won't that make the game seem like a linear experience where you have to do the same thing every time? Actually, the way we add variety to this type of scenario is to let players choose their own motivation for performing the quest. Are they doing it to garner favor with someone? To pay off a debt? To betray someone down the line? In dealing with a main story arc, quests like this come up a lot, so we feel it is important for players to have clear-cut choices as to why they are doing something in the game. The worst thing is for players to feel like they're going on a quest simply because the game dictates it. Motivation is extremely important in drawing players into the experience. The reasons that players have for doing things in the game can create a completely different feeling in the gameplay experience.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
I hope they don't just use that as an excuse to make every player do the same quest. There's a difference between receiving the same quest in several different ways which can change your objectives and results and just responding to the same NPCs quest offer by going "Hey, this ought to pay pretty well" or "Maybe this'll let me find out what happened to my sister."

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Spazmo said:
There's a difference between receiving the same quest in several different ways which can change your objectives and results and just responding to the same NPCs quest offer by going "Hey, this ought to pay pretty well" or "Maybe this'll let me find out what happened to my sister."
Huh? I think it worked great in BG2:
PC: Hmm, should I go and save Imoen or should I go and kick evilwizard(tm)'s butt?
An annoying NPC: Aren't they both in the same place?
PC: Silence, you fool! I'm a PC, unlike you, I'm a very complex character who requires proper motivations and shit. :lol:

Back to the Troika diary, I hope they would do more then that, and maybe present parts of the main quest as resonable solutions to side quests. That would be interesting.

Leon said:
The stealth route takes into account patrolling guards, what level of stealth or obfuscation players are likely to have, and what other disciplines players may have to help them out.
That actually sounds much better then locating a highlighted item nearby and following its lead.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Pure Flash websites make Baby Jesus cry.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom