Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News What can change the nature of RPG?

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Lionhead Studios

Or to be more precise, who?
<br>
Well, if there's someone who can, it's <a href="http://www.incgamers.com/Columns/51/will-lionhead-change-the-rpg">certainly Peter Molyneux.</a>
<br>
<br>
<p style="margin-left:50px;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-top-color:#ffffff;padding:5px;border-right-color:#bbbbbb;border-left-color:#ffffff;border-bottom-color:#bbbbbb;">For one, this announcement didn’t exactly take us by surprise as it echoed comments made by Molyneux during his GamesCom keynote speech last year. Then, he suggested that he was committed to replacing one of the central tenets of RPG gaming with something much more intuitive and modern. In an interview with IGN later in the year, he dropped a few hints about what he was talking about at GamesCom, saying that the expression system in Fable II was a step forward but that Fable III needed something more and that the mechanic in question is directly linked to gameplay. His focus, it seemed, was to find a way for the player to insert their own personality into a game.</p>
<br>
<br>
Fable 3 will be thest best game evar, that much is certain already.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/96704-will-lionhead-change-the-rpg.html">GB</A>

Lurkar

Scholar
I don't think anyone but Peter Molyneux and his legion of journalist cocksuckers believes anything Peter Molyneux says anymore.

lightbane

Arcane
I'm not sure why this guy is not at a mental asylum/in front of an execution squad,nowadays the only thing he does pretty much is babble promises not even himself belives and spawn shitty games (with each new title becoming more and more retarded) and yet somehow he's still praised...

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
Lurkar said:
I don't think anyone but Peter Molyneux and his legion of journalist cocksuckers believes anything Peter Molyneux says anymore.

Sadly I can manage to have a pretty lively conversation RL about him being a "true A.I. programmer that's wasted in the gaming industry while he could go program behaviour for the military"

Also I'm not trolling.

Pliskin

Arbiter
His focus, it seemed, was to find a way for the player to insert their own personality into a game.

Well, this would certainly explain the migration of RPGs into FPSs.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
I think it is Natal. I don't work at Microsoft anymore but I know Natal's QA team and Fable's QA team are practically one and the same.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
Krraloth said:
Sadly I can manage to have a pretty lively conversation RL about him being a "true A.I. programmer that's wasted in the gaming industry while he could go program behaviour for the military"

The military would have been more of a waste.

Pliskin

Arbiter
laclongquan said:
And what is the personality of a FPSer?

My gun is bigger? shoot faster? got more ammo? longer time between overheat?

Moar liek an FPS requires the player's direct (physical) feed-back to be successful, while an RPG (should) be dependant on derived formulaes that serve as several layers of insulation between the player and his avatar.

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
Fable II wasn't fun at all. One of the only games I couldn't continue past the first 30min. Molyneax just thinks up a bunch of gimmicks and calls it an amazing game.

Fens

Ford of the Llies
whenever i hear moulinex molyneux talk, i think this:

moulinex.jpg

relootz

Scholar
FUCKING MAKE DUNGEON KEEPER 3 AND MAKE IT SOLELY FOR THE PC.

hoodoo said:
Fable II wasn't fun at all. One of the only games I couldn't continue past the first 30min. Molyneax just thinks up a bunch of gimmicks and calls it an amazing game.

His gimmicks sound good, the execution is what sucks

I didn't bother with the marriage thing* in fable 2 after I realized people were just generic citizens with random tastes and dislikes.

*tbh, that's a lie. I played an evil, muscular lesbian warrior with Joker facepaint and bruteforce married some cowardly, shy woman that always ran from me on the market, and kept her in constant fear and crying by swinging the big spiked dildo-mace around the house. Sadisticlicious

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
Clockwork Knight said:
I played an evil, muscular lesbian warrior with Joker facepaint and bruteforce married some cowardly, shy woman that always ran from me on the market, and kept her in constant fear and crying by swinging the big spiked dildo-mace around the house. Sadisticlicious

The marriage part was interesting...but have you ever played The Guild II?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Guild_2

It has wedding, children and likes and dislikes, altho less gimmicky.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
relootz said:
FUCKING MAKE DUNGEON KEEPER 3 AND MAKE IT SOLELY FOR THE PC.

Do you really want the current mainstream gaming industry to make Dungeon Keeper 3?

Really?

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I really wish that Lionhead was a more talented company so they could pull of there ideas.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Barrow_Bug said:
"What can change the nature of RPG?"

Moar like:

'What can change the nature of grammar?' :smug:

you should at least tell me the error

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom