Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Two Worlds 2 Preview

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Reality Pump Studios

OXM previews Reality Pump's <a href="http://www.oxmonline.com/article/previews/s-z/two-worlds-ii?page=0%2C1">Two Worlds sequel.</a>
<br>
<br>
<p style="margin-left:50px;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-top-color:#ffffff;padding:5px;border-right-color:#bbbbbb;border-left-color:#ffffff;border-bottom-color:#bbbbbb;">We realize we made mistakes with the first game,” admits Bert Jennings, producer at TopWare Interactive. And we’d agree: While it earned a cult following, Two Worlds had plenty of issues, ranging from an unbearable framerate to dreadful dialogue, from maddeningly difficult gameplay to an overall density that turned away casual gamers.
<br>
</p>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/96894-two-worlds-ii-preview.html">Gamebanshee</A>

What bothered me was how generic citizens had assloads of health and could kill you in a single blow. Early on the game I found a guy who asked me to stop a guy on the nearby road from robbing passerbys. Once I get there, I have the option to either persuade him to stop or to fight him. I persuade him and all goes well. Then I load to see if I can beat him and voila, my attacks barely scratch him even though I can kill the local bandits in 2 or 3 blows. He one shots me.

Then I go to towns and experiment, getting the same result. Eventually I start baiting mobs into towns so townspeople one shot the black bears that could kill me in one or two attacks.

Elzair

Cipher
That game is just generic, boring shit. The entire world is so lifeless and cookie-cutter. All the enemies are quite tough, so instead of attempting to balance them, they just put respawn points all around. God, what a clusterfuck!

The town idiot who talks to you when you exit that beginning temple (the one with the orcs, used as a tutorial), will one-shot you every time if you try anything.

Though it's not really that long before you get to the point that you can destroy NPCs like him with ease.

My favorite part of Two Worlds was the way you combine older weapons and armor and thus make even shitty loot into something that was useful. Combined with the sheer amount of ingredients for potions, and elemental enchantments that stacked, and you could get formidable in no time flat. Problem was staying alive that long.

Still, it had some interesting moments. Before they patched it away, Ressurection worked on everyone, even plot-line deaths. After that asian-type town got wiped out by the orcs, I killed the greenies...then brought everyone back to life, at which point the two races co-existed happily.

made

Arcane
developed by Reality Pump studio from Cracow, Poland.
TERAZ POLSKA!!!

The screenshots look promising at least. The way the trees blend wit the mist in the background remind me of Ishar 2. Gonna give it a whirl when it's out.

For that matter Two Worlds was one of the few games where I actually appreciated summons. If you dedicate a bit of time to it, and search for the right enhancers, you don't really have to physically fight anymore. There are a number of summons that'll tear through the hordes for you. If you want you can just play support, throw up a Fire Wall here or there to corral someone, heal a summon getting a bit low on health, etc.

Of course, that really did depend on you putting effort into finding the right spells. Due to everything being randomized as to store inventory...who knew when you'd find a decent spell or enhancement card to buy. Might be stuck with basic junk for awhile.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
The graphics look much better Two Worlds looked like a Lil Saigon Nativity Scene.

I've been waiting for this game like the new moon. God I hope they haven't sold their souls and decided to dumb it down like almost everyone else. (Compare Oblivion with Daggerfall or even Morrowind and, if you have a soul left, weep.)

Two Worlds had a great soundtrack and an interesting game-world to stomp through. I've said this before, but it was like Diablo II done right. Finally a worthy successor to the original masterpiece that was Diablo.

Back when it first released, I remember people discovering you could freely access pretty much everything in the game's engine even on the consoles.

You had the 360 boards filled with picture galleries where posters were creating their own villages, complete with dragon guardians and such.

random_encounter

Educated
It earned a cult following of people that liked the game instead of burning it in piles? Color me surprised. It wasn't the worst game that I had played, but good grief...the bugs. The dialogue. The characters...augh.

Genma:TheDestroyer said:
My favorite part of Two Worlds was the way you combine older weapons and armor and thus make even shitty loot into something that was useful. Combined with the sheer amount of ingredients for potions, and elemental enchantments that stacked, and you could get formidable in no time flat. Problem was staying alive that long.
That really was the only problem. Powerful weapons coupled with a few choice spells from Necromancy and nothing could really stop you. Wiping out the orcish city and cleansing their lands of everything was a walk in the park after building a decent character.

Early on, I managed to kill Gandohar and was surprised when what appeared to be the endgame movie ran. After gonig through the rest of the game, I saw the same movie confirming that I did, indeed, save the world before even knowing why. Hilarious stuff.

And the horses were shit.

random_encounter said:
That really was the only problem. Powerful weapons coupled with a few choice spells from Necromancy and nothing could really stop you. Wiping out the orcish city and cleansing their lands of everything was a walk in the park after building a decent character.

That's why I never really understood the reputation that it was so balls-to-the-wall hard. Sure, if you ran around with no plan or just tried to piss off anything in your path, you were going to get ganked early on. Even random villagers would thump you. Most of the time in one hit.

But if you swiped even a bit of the stuff folks kept locked up, paid attention to the changing store inventories, and routinely remembered to condense and upgrade your weapons and armor, while mixing whatever permanent stat boosting potions you could make at the time...you always stayed ahead of the curve just enough to survive. And eventually you'd luck into one or two spells or items that broke you from this cycle, and allowed you to develop into a walking WMD.

Edit: Incidentally, while it only developed a cult following here, over in Europe it apparently sold a shit-ton of copies.

Morkar Left

I was curious if the game is really that shit and bought it for 10 € (latest patch). The money was well spend. It was like Divine Divinity in 3D. So more an Action-RPG than a real one. The german voice-over was excellent, sometimes even better than in Gothic.

If you don´t want respawning at a shrine just play on hard. On hard it is deactivated and death is death. I only tweaked my starting attributes (gave me +20 points) with cheatcodes to get rid of the "1 Wolf takes 50 hits before he dies and I die after 1 hit" on the first levels. Horses were useful in the beginning to attack the mobs in a hit and run style. Not getting stucked was part of the balancing and somehow realistic even if not intended from the developers.

Elzair

Cipher
Still, it had some interesting moments. Before they patched it away, Ressurection worked on everyone, even plot-line deaths. After that asian-type town got wiped out by the orcs, I killed the greenies...then brought everyone back to life, at which point the two races co-existed happily.

Wait, you can resurrect NPCs in this game? Kick ass! I should try it again sometime.

Elzair said:

Wait, you can resurrect NPCs in this game? Kick ass! I should try it again sometime.

Yeah, it was originally just supposed to be the corpses of enemies, who would then fight at your side before the spell failed. But they left it open-ended and it resulted in you being able to resurrect anyone if you wanted.

They lated patched it out, which is why I've never used a patch, despite the fact that it fixes the faulty Critical Hit skill, and a number of other things. I like playing around with Resurrection.

Morkar said:
just play on hard.
Exactly. If you're respawning, there is something you're not doing right.

I never played the game except on hard. And it was great.

Also, as with Daggerfall, spending your time looting random dungeons isn't a good idea and destroys the balance. Just stomp thru the game as intended and as your character would if you weren't meta-gaming non-stop like an idiot.

Don't use blocking, it's useless. The back-jump is for fighters. You need to time it differently when fighting against monsters of different types; requires concentration and some reflexes, can be exciting fun, especially against multiple opponents. Plus the combat music is awesome.

As I've said a billion times, the proper comparison for this game would be a 3D Diablo (Hellgate: London?).

The combining of different weapons / armor pieces of the same type into more powerful versions of the same was a good innovation that Blizzard failed to come up with.

Suchy

Arcane
the Orc ninja
the what?

However shitty TW was, it was still more fun than Oblivion. Hopefully they've hired an actual writer this time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom