Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review IC Games disappointed with Paradise Cracked

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Paradise Cracked

<a href=http://www.ic-games.co.uk>IC Games</a> posted a <a href=http://www.ic-games.co.uk/index.php?location=1&&articleid=1603>review</a> of <a href=http://www.buka.com/game/Game_15.htm>Paradise Cracked</a>, giving it only <b>57%</b> because of the <i>heavyweight interface and plodding gameplay</i>
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Overall I have to say Paradise Cracked could have been a much better game, underneath the problems there is almost certainly a great game trying to get out, only thing is it can’t move for the heavyweight interface and plodding gameplay. Other games out there are better, maybe not because the ideas involved are better but because the gameplay flows smoother or the player interface is easier to grasp, which is a pity.
<br>
</blockquote>A pity, indeed. They shouldn't have used TB mode everywhere.

Vidder

Liturgist
Once you accepted the fact, that every move from one map to another (also if you´ve been there before, you just want to buy something in another district or visit a person) indeed means fight, the "always-turnbased-approach" seems appropriate.

Thats how the game works.

BTW: Cant wait for "Power of Law"!

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Your post implies that it wasn't a bad decision. Can you tell us more? I didn't play the game myself, so I have no clue myself other then the fact that every reviewer bitched about it which doesn't prove anything, of course.

Barghest

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
I quickly found that the game wasn't to my taste, and it is really goddamn hard. The bad Russian to English translations are hilarious at times though!

The game mechanics are fairly average, I have to say, and they should never have made the whole game turn-based. It just takes too long to go from A-B

I would rate it 6/10

If anyone is interested, I'm selling my copy on eBay UK at a cut-throat price.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8102404883

Vidder

Liturgist
First i have to say that i haven´t played through the game yet, although i own it for over a year now. Interpret that as you will.
Well.
I guess its sort of like ToEE, because its more of a combatsimulator with a bit story to keep you going.
But i think the story has a more refreshing character to it, mainly because its sci-fi.
The fights are cool with various different weapons and shooting modes (aimed shot, normal shot, fast shot.) and movement options (croucing, running etc.), but are also quite difficult, because a certain random factor seems to play a larger role than in most other games.
Like if you miss your target this round, you are probably dead the next one. -> Reload.

The charactersystem is pretty standard with no real skills for weapons, but normal attributes, which will make you fight better / get more actionpoints and so on... Plus some new stuff like a driving skill.

The story is a bit confusing mostly because the game seems to be nonlinear. So you stand there in the beginning and think: which faction should i work for, whats right, whats wrong.
As i understand it, everythings possible. At least some guy on the developers-forum told me so.

Whats really annoying is the STRANGE dialogs and random speech some of your characters and most of the npcs are giving you. (i am talking about the german version)
Like "Biorhythm"
uhm.. ok hacker (hacker is the character you play...)
or a chinese guy who always crys "Chooot Doogs Chooot Dogs" if you come near him.

On the opposite: Job, who is the first NPC who will join you, has a real interesting and believable character, so he adds to the atmosphere of the game. The same goes with Dinara, who you will meet later.
So that is a mixed bag.

Overall i would say that the game is interesting for turnbased-combat / sci-fi fans.
Also it helps that the game should be available at the bargain bin now. I would not pay full price for it, but $10-20 are worth it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom