Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Dragon Age: Awakening Preview

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: BioWare; Dragon Age

The Awakening of Dragon Age is almost complete.
<br>
Meanwhile read some <a href="http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/107/1074969p1.html">first impressions.</a>
<br>
<br>
<p style="margin-left:50px;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-top-color:#ffffff;padding:5px;border-right-color:#bbbbbb;border-left-color:#ffffff;border-bottom-color:#bbbbbb;">If you have a high level character from Origins but don't particularly like the choices you made as they advanced, you can buy a Manual of Focus from a familiar vendor in Vigil's Keep for a mere handful of sovereigns. This book allows you to refunds all the points you spent on attributes, skills and abilities so you can build up your characters the way you'd like them to have developed if you had known just how pointless Chain Lightning really was.
<br>
<br>
Warriors can shift towards mages by selecting the Spirit Warrior specialization, which allows them to use certain Fade abilities during combat. The warrior trained as a Guardian will excel at protecting allies with group buffs.
<br>
<br>
The Warrior's Second Wind regenerates almost all stamina at once, which can definitely turn the tide of battle very quickly. The warrior also has new abilities that can automatically kill normal level enemies and significantly wound elites and bosses. All of the weapon styles have new lines as well. I particularly like the dual-wield line, which is good because it was my least favorite of all the styles in Origins. The last line not only offers improved critical hits and bleeds but also has an ability that rapidly and constantly attacks an enemy until he is dead. Archery has new critical and AOE effects and two-handed combat has plenty of new knockdown effects and charges. My favorite of all is the first power in the new shield line, which basically has the power to knock down any enemy you touch.
<br>
</p>
<br>
Seems as if Bio improved playing as a Warrior type even further.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgwatch.com/?rwsiteid=1#14520">RPGWatch</A>

Rhalle

Magister
Nice to see that Bioware has dropped all pretense and just gone straight to out-and-out theft of WoW talents.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Like WOW origuinated the shit, anyways. LMFAO Most of WOW's stuff is stolen from things like D&D as well as other PnP games. FFS

So much for magic making you a horrible persecuted deviant to be exterminated wherever you are found, right? Now any jackass with a sword who reaches level 7 can cast spells.

They could at least make the respec something epic (even FF4 made Cecil fight his Dark knight mirror image to be able to "respec" as a paladin).

instead you buy a cheap book from a dude...boring-o lazy-o

Pliskin

Arbiter
Clockwork Knight said:
They could at least make the respec something epic (even FF4 made Cecil fight his Dark knight mirror image to be able to "respec" as a paladin).

instead you buy a cheap book from a dude...boring-o lazy-o

Yah, even ME2 makes you go to the effort of researching the tech / finding the minerals / paying the cost for a respec --- but then, it was in the game from the beginning, too...

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
The things I didn't like about melee combat:

(A) Too many points, so you can easily almost (if not totally, I don't remember) fill one weapon tree. While it is plausible for a warrior to be so skilled, mechanically this means there is little variation between one two-handed weapon user to another (besides whether one is deals DPS or one "tanks")

(B) Short duration/weak effective attacks for spamming. Unlike mages who you select to cast a spell every now and then, with warriors you either have to micromanage more or just rely on the tactics system. Give me more than nothing to do with my fighters, such as in BG. But let me (force me to) to be more strategic and selective in my attacks, not just because they're off cooldown and I have enough energy.

aries202

Erudite
The interesting thing to me is this:

Thieves can now become Shadows...it sounds more like they can become Shadow Thieves. At least with they its described in the IGN preview.
This could be seen as some sort of rip-off from Baldur's Gate 2, I find.

Pliskin

Arbiter
aries202 said:
The interesting thing to me is this:

Thieves can now become Shadows...it sounds more like they can become Shadow Thieves. At least with they its described in the IGN preview.

There's a lot in DA that harkens back to BG --- but using the word shadow in relation to thiefly skills seems a bit generic.

Sneak is so overpowered in DA anyway, might as well call it "Invisible" instead.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Thieves can now become Shadows...it sounds more like they can become Shadow Thieves. At least with they its described in the IGN preview.

What an idiot.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I really really want to be excited about any new DA DLC's... but I cant.

If only they could have done the setting better, instead of us playing in Tolkien's back yard.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Jaesun said:
I really really want to be excited about any new DA DLC's
Stop the lies start the truths. It's an expansion not a DLC. FFS.

On a serious note, it's hard to get excited about Awakening when DAO had so many serious flaws and the other DLCs released were mostly shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom