Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Alpha Protocol tidbits

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Alpha Protocol; Obsidian Entertainment

<a href="http://www.sidequesting.com/2010/03/alpha-protocol-devs-on-female-lead-and-homosexuality/">SideQuesting asked</a> Obsidian's Matt MacLean about the lack of a female protagonist as well as the lack of one of the most important RPG features: gay romances.
<br>
<br>
<p style="margin-left:50px;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-top-color:#ffffff;padding:5px;border-right-color:#bbbbbb;border-left-color:#ffffff;border-bottom-color:#bbbbbb;">It looks like Agent Thorton’s sexual orientation is also set in stone, but for different reasons. We also asked MacLean about homosexual romance scenes. He told us that they wanted to make Alpha Protocol in such a way that would mimic what you would expect to see when you go see a spy flick. And since we never see James Bond or Jason Bourne get involved in homosexual scenes in their movies, players won’t have full freedom to choose how their sexual exploits go down.
<br>
</p>
<br>
<br>
Decline? Incline?
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/97349-why-alpha-protocol-doesnt-have-a-female-protagonist.html">Gamebanshee</A>

Mister Arkham

Scholar
I can understand the reasoning here, certainly. They're working within a specific genre that has a number of specific heterosexually driven tropes attached to it. There's nothing wrong with keeping true to the spirit of your inspiration, even if it would drive certain special interest groups to question your politics and call you closed-minded.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
It's funny how nowadays devs have to explain and justify themselves for not putting a homosexual romance option into their game :lol:

^Well, only because their previous games feature it, and the fans would find it weird to not have it and not having been warned. So, they're taking something out, which is why they have to explain it.

I don't have a problem with it, since it's not like it's needed. I could do without any romance, ffs. Less fuckyfucky, more PEW PEW

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
So, theya dnmit theya ren't doing anything original.. just ciopying shit for the sake of it?

And, KOTOR2 and NWN2 don't have any PC homosexual romances do they?

MetalCraze

Arcane
Why the fuck every single AP preview must talk about such important RPG features like tasteful fucking and romancing

Mister Arkham

Scholar
MetalCraze said:
Why the fuck every single AP preview must talk about such important RPG features like tasteful fucking and romancing

It's annoying as fuck, isn't it? Like I said, I can understand the position they're taking, but could they please just tell us about the damn game already? Some of us care about the not-a-dating-sim parts.

Zeros

Novice
Mister Arkham said:
MetalCraze said:

It's annoying as fuck, isn't it? Like I said, I can understand the position they're taking, but could they please just tell us about the damn game already? Some of us care about the not-a-dating-sim parts.

Any more talking bout the game itself and you'll already know the ending before it's released.

spectre

Arcane
So, when it becomes official that the rpg genre = dating sim, AD 2010?

denizsi

Arcane
Deus Ex sucks, you can't romance Anne.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom