Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Yet Another DA: Awakening Review

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: BioWare; Dragon Age

... or two reviews to be precise.
<br>
<br>
ExplicitGamer gives an abysmal rating of 7.6/10. <a href="http://www.explicitgamer.com/blog/2010/03/dragon-age-origins-awakening-review/">They dare?</a>
<br>
<br>
<p style="margin-left:50px;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-top-color:#ffffff;padding:5px;border-right-color:#bbbbbb;border-left-color:#ffffff;border-bottom-color:#bbbbbb;">Despite the fragmented story in Awakening, it was still rather fun to play. However the short play time, coupled with the various bugs and the generally uninteresting new characters make me think I paid too much for it. Charging Forty Dollars for less than Fifteen hours of gameplay is a bit on the absurd side. And putting it on a disc was a complete waste. I know it’s available as DLC as well, but that should have been the only place it was. And it should have cost no more than Twenty dollars, and even that’s a little bit of a stretch.
<br>
</p>
<br>
<a href="http://www.explicitgamer.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Oghren_portrait.jpg">Oghren disapproves.</a>
<br>
<br>
And 2404 <a href="http://www.2404.org/reviews/dragon-age-origins-awakening-review">rates it slightly better</a> with 8.1/10.
<br>
<br>
<p style="margin-left:50px;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-top-color:#ffffff;padding:5px;border-right-color:#bbbbbb;border-left-color:#ffffff;border-bottom-color:#bbbbbb;">Still, when distilled down to its core, I did enjoy Awakening a little bit more than I did Origins. I found the focus in the story to be very strong, and I always felt like what I was doing was important or building towards some goal. Perhaps Origins would have benefitted from a bit more focus and less needless map screen marching, which still makes an appearance here but is far less annoying. I would love to describe and discuss the ending and my observations about the importance of the decisions you make within the game, but that would add far too many spoilers to a simple review (expect an upcoming blog discussion). Overall Awakening is an expensive but fun extension to a quality game and easily recommended to fans of the series.
<br>
</p>
<br>
Did the Bio Intelligence Service forget to enforce proper ratings?
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/97409-dragon-age-origins-awakening-reviews.html">GB</A>

Wyrmlord

Arcane
VentilatorOfDoom said:
The tragic truth is that there is no "buying off" of reviewers.

They really do write what was their honest impression of the game.

Should this have everyone concerned even more?

Thrasher

Erudite
And new review sites just keep popping up. It's a virus of unprofessional journalism. ;)

Wyrmlord said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:

In the U.S., reviewers are hired to write what some committee somewhere in its infinite wisdom believes that the masses want to read. Game magazines are a big business there, it's not something you do out of enthusiasm for games, something comparable to a hobby, like it used to be here. Nope. When you're doing big business, you don't hire people to write stuff that the masses don't want to read. People don't, in general, want to read that their favorite game sucked, or that something they thought sucked was actually a rare masterpiece they simply haven't got the brains to appreciate.

Of course, that's just the rosy-glasses version of the story, and only the happy part of it anyway.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"her is my review of it.

NWN 2:OC did it better.

The end."

Bullshit. The end.

Lothers

Scholar
DAO was solid but certainly not a classic. Awakening in Poland costs about $30, it's not that much but also not cheap (DoW2 costs $25) and only >15 hours of gameplay? I'll rather pass on this one.

hoochimama

Liturgist
Aside from the weak opening and quest-breaking bugs I liked it.

New and varied environments to see and felt like it had a lot less repetitive filler combat compared to the OC. Maybe because of that it also felt like I was doing quests and making choices that could have repercussions at a faster pace than I ever did in the OC.

The story is also more interesting than the one in the OC, although I wish the whole architect vs mother thing had a little more exposition especially near the end.

As for value it's worth noting that when DA came out I saw it sold in shops for over 70 euros, 40 bucks is more expensive than what I'm used to when it comes to expansions, but so was the original game.

Finished it at the 15 hour mark after doing every single side quest that popped up, making it more expensive than watching movies in a theater( considering 2.5hours per movie, 5 euros per ticket) up till this point I always thought rpgs won in that comparison.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Volourn said:
"her is my review of it.

NWN 2:OC did it better.

The end."

Bullshit. The end.

The keep in NWN2 was better implemented then the retarded keep we get in Awakening and there for it is better.

The end.

PS. Bring cake.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
micmu said:
NWN 1:OC did it better. That huge of a shit dragon garbage is.
I draw the line here. DAO and A are still better than the total clusterfuck that was NWN1 OC.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Awakening in Poland costs about $30, it's not that much but also not cheap (DoW2 costs $25)"

OMFG A whole $5 difference! CALL THE PRESSES CALL THE PRESSES CALL THE PRESSES

"The keep in NWN2 was better implemented then the retarded keep we get in Awakening and there for it is better."

Not by much considering NWN2 OC was a full game. On top of that, there's a lot to mroe both games than just the retarded keeps. Moran.

I do love all the bragging about speed gaming. Hilarious!

Nightjed

Liturgist
Wyrmlord said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:

I can give you some evidence they are at least buying metacritic, go there and try to post a negative user comment, it will never get posted

im pretty sure they paid to freeze the comments when they were averaging 8, every other game has hundreds of comments, Awakening (PC) has 36 and that number has been frozen for at least a month

ive noticed other games with suspiciously low user comment count and in all those games the user average is about the same as the review average

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Volourn said:
OMFG A whole $5 difference! CALL THE PRESSES CALL THE PRESSES CALL THE PRESSES
If we were comparing two full games or two expansions I'd agree with you. A full game and an expansion being priced the same is already taking the piss. The expansion being more expensive, even by 5 cents, is just ridiculous.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
No. Value is not about expansion vs full game fucktard.

It's why going to the theatre is $10 while renting the same fuckin' movie for 3 days is $5. FFS

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
So you think that you should pay the same price for watching a movie on a cinema screen vs watching it on your TV? :?

Sometimes I don't understand you Volly.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
ShitSmellsLike.jpg

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"So you think that you should pay the same price for watching a movie on a cinema screen vs watching it on your TV?"

Same fuckin' movie. And, the experience is muchw orse in the theatre iwth the bullshit munching, the whiny babies, the slurping of gosspinjg abotut he movie while youa re trying to watch, or the inability to jerk off to some sexys cene without jdugemental freaks eyeing you in disgust.

Fuck that shit.

It's why it's been 6+ years since I've been to the theatre despite being bugged to go.

FFS

hoochimama

Liturgist
Jerking off right there in the theater deprives the film developers of potential DVD sales, it's fapping piracy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom